Well, Brian, what did the weekend teach you?

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
9 years ago
3,119 posts

Well, well, Brian France, did you notice the following about the weekend?

1. The racing was good as the cars were returned to the control of the drivers. Please quit trying to sell us that they look like "stock" cars however. That simply is not true.

2. Did you notice the crowd? Realizing such numbers are far outside your capacity to imagine after your dedicated efforts to destroy the sport, the crowd was awesome. Do you know why?

a. Back to tradition

b. Cars were more drivable and competitive

c. Core fans appreciated the return to the tradition of Labor Day weekend for the Southern 500 at Darlington.

3. Did you also notice that almost every camera shot I observed, as well as conversations with many fans who did attend, your supposed demographic was blown to hell. Seems there were more older fans (in excess of 50) or at least as many as the 18 to 40 group you are wanting to entice.

4. What did you learn about asking race fans to take down the Confederate Flag? You and the South Carolina Governor, who I understand was in attendance (and you probably weren't) would make a good couple. You both are very good at knee-jerk reactions to left wing stupidity.

Darlington's Southern 500 had many good things. Lasting late into the night was not one of them. If you insist on a Sunday night event, perhaps next year you would consider starting it at 5:00 p.m. (if NBC could manage to put the golf tournament on the Golf Channel where it belongs).

Brian, I am just a long time fan of the sport. I was in the infields of race tracks before you were born. I have been to many more races than you ever have, or ever will. I am one of hundreds of thousands of race fans you have discarded as meaningless. Any thoughts on that after The Southern 500?

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:02:57PM
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

Well well well, the the captain or "Legend" as many fans and friends call him seems to have come to the ultimate truth on Carlington, As Carls crew renamed it after the race.

Yes it was a sell out,yes it was a terrific race,and yes it was enjoyed by many of the older generation but may younger years were on hand too shouting.

I kinda got caught up in the later shouting when Carl moved to the front and stayed. He has a pretty good following of the jet set it seems. I did so want to ramble and try to see all I could see but I could only soak in so much. The throwback drivers were almost impossible to get to because of the mob. Tim youdefinitelymissed a blowout at Darlington.. As Carl said He really hopes they put Darlington in the final 10 races because everyone really enjoyed Sundays happenings..

And taking pictures were out of he question the way that place was packed.. BUT I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT........ Memories

Robbie Solesbee
@robbie-solesbee
9 years ago
1 posts

The question is will this carry over next year? Sure the race returned to Labor Day weekend, but did the fans turn out only for that reason? The novelty of it. Many events have heavy turnouts for the first time or in this case the revival of, only to fall flat the following year. As for the racing, compared to the IndyCar series races NBC Sports has brought us this year, the race last night was ho hum in comparison. Even the road course events were more exciting and had better racing. And the last oval event. Wow. Even though we lost Justin, 8 wide on a restart Pocono at 220 is a sight to behold. But the are open wheel racers who fear nothing.Brian needs to be focusing on how to make his "sport" more competitive, than ride the laurels of last nights turnout. I don't see a repeat of next year in attendance. At least at our event last year we actually ran it ON Labor Day, as God intended. I'll get back with on by buddy Shu's thoughts at our next event. That will tell the real tale of how last night went. He and I care cut from the same steel on our thoughts.

RockHillWill
@will-cronkrite
9 years ago
167 posts

Outstanding commentary there, my friend. Right on the money. I REALLY enjoyed both the date and the 'throwback' idea. That was in my heyday, and I thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it. I was disappointed that the TV announcer passed over our own 'Rusty Racer' when interviewing the Petty crewmembers. Billy Bisco is a great story teller.

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
9 years ago
3,119 posts

Thank you Will for the kind comment. That was right in your heyday and you should have been interviewed as well. Stories you could have shared would have been really entertaining and informative. As for our own "Rustyracer",I agree Billy would have blown away the television audience with his knowledge and his stories. Billy, however, never seeks out the limelight and seems to go the extra mile to avoid it. He is a gentleman well deserving of any honor that comes his way!

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

He called him BRiscoe. Don't know if the script was wrong of if the announcer can't read English. Ticked me off.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"