Prayers Needed for a Hero

Alex FL Racing Fan
@alex-fl-racing-fan
9 years ago
221 posts

Details are really foggy at the moment, but I have heard that Lennie Pond is battling lung cancer at this time. His family and friends ask for your thoughts and prayers as Lennie fights this illness.

updated by @alex-fl-racing-fan: 01/04/17 10:41:19PM
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
9 years ago
3,119 posts

Prayers from The Lair. I have many great memories of watch Lennie race and some of the encounters I had with him over his career. Thoughts and prayers to Lennie, his family and his friends. Thanks for posting Alex.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Robin L. Agner
@robin-l-agner
9 years ago
169 posts

Prayers for Lennie and his family.

Randy Simmons
@randy-simmons
9 years ago
3 posts

Prayers for Lennie was a big fan of his meet him at Wilkesboro many years ago super nice guy was even a member of his fan club back in the day

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

Thoughts and prayers for Lennie... one of the nicest and most honest (too honest for his own racing good) guys you'll ever meet... in or out of racing.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

A little Lennie Pond video:

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

That Lennie Pond tribute video was put together by RR member Donald Evans,

http://stockcar.racersreunion.com/profile/DONALDLEVANS?xg_source=profiles_memberList

with all but a couple of the photos coming from his personal collection.

I wish every newer and youngerrace fan would watch the video and ask where are the other 25 cars of Lennie's and where are the 300 shop employees. Nearly every photo shows 1973 NASCAR Winston Cup Rookie of the YearLennie Pond doing his own work on the solitary car in the shop.

--
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

You know Dave that was the way of life in the 60s and early 70s A lot of my cars were built by one person and maintained by same person. Only up in the middle 70s were there any outside help. Those photos I can really relate to and probably a bunch of others on Racers Reunion.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

A far cry from today's "shops" weren't they, Johnny?

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
9 years ago
4,073 posts

Good to hear the progress from Lennie's surgery - even if the progress is iterative.

Also good to see RR member Randy Hallman still covering the racing beat for the Times-Dispatch.

http://stockcar.racersreunion.com/profile/RandyHallman

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

The T-D was smart enough to draw on Randy's knowledge of 60s-80s racing covering that beat. It was a rare racing appearance for Randy. He is assigned to the retail business beat these days, but when a Sonny Hutchins, Ray Hendrick or Al Grinnan dies, they still turn to Randy.

--
Jimmy Johnson
@jimmy-johnson
9 years ago
123 posts

Thoughts and Prayers for Lennie and family. He has brought us many great memories.