THE DEFINITION OF CLOSE - Thought that only counted in horse shoes and hand grenades

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
8 years ago
3,259 posts

First finish this close DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- DennyHamlin earned his first Daytona500 victory in the closest finish in the race's storied 58-year history, pushing his No. 11 FedEx Toyota ahead of MartinTruexJr .'s Toyota at the finish line by ten-hundreds of a second (0.010) a half-foot winning difference in NASCAR's most celebrated event.

The two cars crossed the finish line simultaneously, and it wasn't until NASCAR made the official call and television replayed the finish before most people -- in the pits and the grandstands -- were certain who had won. Wasnt the first race run at Daytona decided with a photo? Only it was after the photo was developed that the winner wasdeclared way back in 1959

updated by @johnny-mallonee: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
8 years ago
9,137 posts

Daytona's a big jump from Denny's home track - the 1/3rd-mile Southside Speedway in Richmond (Chesterfield Co.) where he raced side-by side 16 years ago in his #20 with Shayne Lockhart's K95 in this July 15, 2000 photo by Al Goulder:

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
8 years ago
9,137 posts

Denny's age 7, 2nd grade composition as posted by his mom on Twitter:

(He was a Bill Elliott fan) "I love racing."

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
8 years ago
3,119 posts

I read somewhere yesterday that the 1959 Daytona finish was actually closer and now NASCAR is saying this is the closest finish since the introduction of electronic timing and scoring.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Wally Bell
@wally-bell
8 years ago
83 posts

Closest.....