Did Buddy Shuman Really Have A Racing Brother?

Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
8 years ago
327 posts

I've read just about everything out there about Buddy Shuman. I've never seen a word about him having a brother that looked just like him and also raced. Just recently a friend of the Bill Blair family showed some of their photos of the Tri-City Speedway from the late '40s, one photo was of Buddy with his car, another was a man with his car labeled "Bobby Shuman". Did Buddy have a racing brother Bobby? They do look like brothers... almost twins. Or was this just a mistake, or another unrelated guy named Shuman?

updated by @robert-mitchell: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
8 years ago
4,073 posts

I've seen a few articles where Buddy was switched to Bobby - even as late as early 70s when Tiny Lund won the memorial race at Hickory.

But based on the page for Buddy at FindAGrave, I don't think there was a Bobby Shuman - at least not one related to Buddy. Neither of his siblings listed have Bobby as a nickname or Robert or Bob as their given name.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=60464024

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
8 years ago
327 posts

Thanks, Chase. The link is good evidence there was no "Bobby" Shuman.

I think whoever was labeling the photo just made a mistake (well, two). He does look like Buddy. Plus the added Buddy/Bobby misprint.

I would still love to know the real identity of the #26 driver, so I'll leave this post up for a while to see if another can recognize him. After that, I'll delete it.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
8 years ago
4,073 posts

From 1941...

...and from 1973.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
8 years ago
560 posts

"I would still love to know the real identity of the #26 driver, so I'll leave this post up for a while to see if another can recognize him. After that, I'll delete it"

===============================================================================.

PLEASE, DON'T DELECT THIS POST/PHOTOS..

TOO MANY MEMBERS JOINED THIS WEBSITE POSTED PHOTOS OR ASKING FOR RACING INFORMATION, THEN DELECTING THEM.

THEY WOULD DELECT THEIR POST AFTER GETTING/NOT GETTING THE ANSWER TO THEIR QUESTION ?

THEY WOULD DELECT THEIR POST/PHOTOS AFTER GETTING MAD AT AN MEMBER OF THIS WEBSITE ?

PLEASE, DON'T DELECT YOUR POST/PHOTOS..