Where Have You Gone "Race City U.S.A."?

Patrick Reynolds
@patrick-reynolds
8 years ago
251 posts

Quite a bit has changed in NASCAR country since the strong years of growth.

http://speedwayreport.com/where-have-you-gone-race-city-u-s-a/

updated by @patrick-reynolds: 08/06/18 03:13:39AM
Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
8 years ago
626 posts

Great story Patrick thanks for posting and yes you are right a lot has changed

Patrick Reynolds
@patrick-reynolds
8 years ago
251 posts

Thank you for reading, Leon!

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
8 years ago
9,137 posts

My first visit to Mooresville was in 1979 to see a Saturday morning Little League game in the ballpark by the Burlington Industries factory. We were visiting friends who had relocated to the lake and their boys were playing. There were no marinas, country clubs or golf courses. Only the ancient John's Trading Post and a fairly new Lowe's grocery on the edge of Mooresville. We bought new tennis shoes for both of our daughters at the downtown Belk Department Store. There were no shopping centers. Late on Saturday afternoon we met our friends' neighbor and his his twin daughters. His name was Bob Burham and he was an engine builder who had just relocated from California to build motors for Rod Osterlund and his young rookie driver, Dale Earnhardt. The rest is history. The engine builder only lived near Mooresville, however. The race shop was in Croft, near the Metrolina fairgrounds. Mooresville was not the kind of place in 1979 that would prompt a second visit.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
8 years ago
9,137 posts

--
Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
8 years ago
626 posts

Thanks for posting Dave

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
8 years ago
3,119 posts

I drove past the Mooresville exit on 77 many times, north bound to Virginia or to visit my son and his family in New Hampshire. Every time I saw that sign "North Carolina Auto Racing Hall of Fame" I wanted to stop off for a visit but I knew such a stop wouldn't be short one and as I was always on a schedule, I couldn't take that chance. My first actual visit to Mooresville was to be a part of an event a Memory Lane Museum the first year RacersReunion was involved. I was there all day so I still didn't get to visit the NCARHOF but was determined to do so. I got that wish a year later when I made a special trip there. What a great trip that was and everyone there welcomed me as if I were a part of that family. Can'ttell you how good that felt.

During the past six years, I have seen that apparent decline and I disturbs me that "Race City, USA" a bumper sticker for which is on the back of my Mercury. I guess it has to do with the huge influx of money, a huge quick influx of money, built up an industry expecting a continuing growth in the sport that is now being killed by poor management and such gimmicks as "The Chase".

But let's got back a little bit. Remember Rhonda, NC, and Junior Johnson. Remember Randleman, NC and the Petty shop. Spartanburg, SC and the Bud Moore and Cotton Owens shops. I'll bet you don't remember an Air Force guy named Roy Mayne who had a small wood-framed shop sitting at the highway split for the Sumter, SC by-pass when we stopped off one day to find it had a packed DIRT floor. How about Dawsonville, GA and the Elliott shop? Daytona and the Yunick racing Area 51? All across the Southeastern U.S. little shops were building and racing stock cars. Think of Bill Blair in Thomasville, NC. I could go on and on with little town after little town where little money build race teams and where most small town folks supported their local drivers much like the local high school football fans support their boys.

I have several racing friends in Canada. One young man, I think he's 19 now, has been winning races up there for at least the last three years. He has a small shop, a dedicated crew and the right attitude. Through him I've met several other young Canadians just as much into stock car racing as a little guy out of Sumter, SC.

Mooresville is the Mecca of stock car racing, made so what exactly what reason I am unsure. I was unaware of the "newness" of Mooresville's fame until I read Dave's post. Mooresville is still a place I will visit as long as the North Carolina Auto Racing Hall of Fame and Memory Lane are operational. And the "Walk of Fame" in downtown Mooresville near Richard's Coffee Shop. I have to wonder, though, if the NASCAR Technical Institute will survive. I hope so. I visit there once a year and talking with the kids attending that school always leaves me with the feeling that there are still dreams and hopes in young folks besides those of being a doctor or attorney or chasing imaginary Poke-whatevers around.

Patrick thanks for bringing this to my attention of which I was totally unaware. I hope the swing to change will start soon or there may be more empty buildings or buildings with fading signage that indicates only what once was.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
8 years ago
907 posts

Patrick, great story! We've all talked about this phenomena for years now. Mooresville is visible evidence. Racing's always had an acute Achellies's Heel.........it never made financial sense. Still don't. Sure, there WAS a growth curve......But, as the sponsors and fans and everybody else that was actually paying the bills, vacates, so goes the sport and all connected to it. B.S. will only go so far, and last so long.

bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
8 years ago
820 posts

several years ago a friend stopped in Mooresville to visit some of the race shops while on a trip to Pa. He called me and asked if I was still looking for an old coupe to race as I was tired of the sedan I had at the time. He said there was a blue coupe on a used car lot in Mooresville for sale. I called and found out it was a 41 Studebaker. After buying it I went to Mooresville and got it and was so excited to have something different I chose to head home where my new race shop was almost finished. I wish I had stayed long enough to visit some of those famous shops that no long exist. We miss so much by being in a hurry and with the speed that Nascar is falling out of favor makes me wish I had seen more of the good old days when I had the chance.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
8 years ago
9,137 posts

The heart and soul of Mooresville in the early 50s when the photo below was taken was Burlington Industries' massive Mooresville Mill complex. It was still the primary industry pre-racing when I first visited in 1979 and met Osterlund Racing engine builder Bob Burham. The population of Mooresville in 1950 (pre-Lake Norman) was approximately 7,000 residents.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
8 years ago
9,137 posts

I well remember Roy Mayne and his #46 Chevy, Tim.

--
Patrick Reynolds
@patrick-reynolds
8 years ago
251 posts

Thank you for reading and sharing, Dave!

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
8 years ago
9,137 posts

--
Patrick Reynolds
@patrick-reynolds
8 years ago
251 posts

Buckos is still alive and well. Good food there. Thanks for reading, Billy!

Patrick Reynolds
@patrick-reynolds
8 years ago
251 posts

Thank you for reading and sharing the story, Bill!

Patrick Reynolds
@patrick-reynolds
8 years ago
251 posts

Thanks for reading, Bobby!

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
8 years ago
9,137 posts

And the track public address and radio announcers ALWAYS introduced Roy as "from Shaw Air Force Base..."

--