Richmond Dragway

Richard Gouldman
@richard-gouldman
13 years ago
86 posts

I live in the Richmond Va area and used to compete a little at Richmond Dragway many years ago, mostly stock class, although we did run C/Gas for awhile with a '56 Chevy powered by a Stuart Matthews big block.

I have not found a great deal of pictures or info here relative to local racers, some of

whom held both local and national records as I recall. Anyone out there that may have pictures, please share them. Earl Rowecampaigned a S/S tri-power '61 Pontiac in earlier years with much success. Somewhere around the house I have a Hot Rod magazine with a write-up on Earl and his Pontiac.

Jimmy Scott ran a '58 Chevy, D/Stock record holder I believe, with a strong 348 c.i motor that Jimmy did his special tweaks on. He was the guru on 348 Chevies around here.

Page Campbell had a very successful '62 Chevy 409 that ran S/S or A/Stock (can't recall) and he also ran a modified class with the car, equipped with an aluminum front end. Page later ran a slant-window '62 Bel-Aire (I think) 409 car also.

Then, there was Joe Weis, who's family owns Richmond Dragway. Joe ran everything from stock class where I competed against him, to a sling-shot dragster. Joe's nephew is Scott Weis, a name most of you would know.

There is Arthur Morris that now lives around Charlottesville area I believe. Arthur may still be competing at various eastern tracks. He ran a very strong Chevelle in a stock class and I believe went to an even stronger Firebird. Arthur and I worked together years back.

Morris Johnson Jr is another name that competed here and went on to professional racing in the Pro-Stocks I believe. I can remember his house was decorated with racing tires, wheels, and car parts, little to no furniture. (a bachelor at the time of course)

updated by @richard-gouldman: 11/30/21 08:44:28PM
Don Teague
@donald-teague
12 years ago
17 posts

Richard, I remember Earl Rowe, but mostly from old Petersburg drag strip. I ran Richmond Dragway with several different cars. Even ran about half track on rear bumper with an altered, which was basically a converted flopper funny car that had no wheelie bars at the time. The back of that fiberglass body didnt fair to well and quicklyadded wheelie bars after that one. Ran with Joe Weis on funny car circuit and some match races. Liked Richmond Dragway, except when running at night with no lighting in shut down area and in funny car or altered with no lights.

Richard Gouldman
@richard-gouldman
12 years ago
86 posts

Don, thank you for your response. My memory is probably not very accurate, but wasn't there a "Big Red" mopar that ran out of Poquoson Va, probably mid '60's? I checked here on Drag Racers reunion for pics, but don't see that car. It was a S/S car or something close. Weekly competitor at Richmond when I was running a street car in stock class.

Again, my memory may be a bit distorted, but I recall one Sunday when that competitor ran a bye for a class win, and went on to take top eliminator for the day. The track paid the top eliminator money, but didn't want to give him the $1.98 trophy for the class win. Dan Weis came close to getting jerked off of the timing tower I was told. Ha!

Yes, I remember Earl Rowe at Petersburg also. He ran a B/Gas Oldsmobile there. Earl's son Linwood inherited that car and drove it to school when we attended high school together.

I haven't been to Richmond Dragway in years. All of my experiences date to 60's and 70's. I housed a car and wrenched on it with friends for awhile. A '56 big block Chevy that started out in Gas....C/Gas I believe. Had a lot of fun with it and it was always popular in the pits just because it was a classic '56. Car became a bracket racer. 11:40's usual E.T.

Don Teague
@donald-teague
12 years ago
17 posts

Richard, cant comment on your memory since mine is terrible. But you are correct there was up to three Big Red cars running out of Newport News VA, not out of Poquoson, in mid 60s. All of which ran at Richmond on several occasions, couple of which won top eliminator. Ill claim complete memory lost on any tower issues! Attached is Bob Plumer photos of two of the Big Red cars, one of which was taken at Richmond. One was S/SA and other was Ultra Stock.

My experience at Richmond was same time frame as yours. I also ran B/Gas there, which was actually the car that did the rear bumper drag not an altered, another brain issue! May have even run you guys 56 Chevy, since I had to spot almost all gas and modified classes. I do remember a modified early Corvette that was hard to beat because we both ran right on our records.

Richard Gouldman
@richard-gouldman
12 years ago
86 posts

Don, I believe the Ultra-stock car is the one that I recall. Yeah, we ran a goldenrod yellow '56 Chevy with a lot of fiberglass... fenders, hood, trunk, rear bumper, and cut the car down to 3,000 lbs. We never had the money to be real competitive, but had a ton of fun. Street raced until the heat became too much.

I remember and have a picture of somebody's '61 or '62 Corvette at Richmond. I found a picture on-line of Gene Holt in a very similar '58-59 Corvette. I personally don't remember Gene driving that car. I can only recall the "Orange Crate" Anglia, but I know Gene piloted a lot of different cars through the years. He has fixed several of my appliances through the years too. Ha!

I can't recall Wayne Walker running a corvette either, but he was "Mr. Zip" in a Chevy wagon and it seems to me he ran something else, but I'm not sure what Corvette you might be referring to. (Wayne is the Corvette guru in this area)

Did you ever compete at Louisa Dragway back in the day? That's where I remember Earl Rowe competing in his '61 Pontiac, Sonny Mallory ran a '34 Ford coupe, ahhh, everything else is now a blank.....and I really didn't do weed....much.

Richard Gouldman
@richard-gouldman
12 years ago
86 posts

Woody, thanks for the pic. I had forgotten about the "Outlaw". Yellow '55 as I recall. Strong contender. Remember the "Canadian Special" Studebaker? Can't recall guy's name now to save my ass. Did you know who Jimmy Scott was? He ran a black '58 chevy 348 D/Stock car. Ran right on the national record, but never officially held the record I am told. I can't recall many of the weekly contenders, but would remember if they were mentioned. There WAS a guy with a Nova, "Sparky" that I believe ran out of Colonial Heights. He ran a full half second faster E.T. than our '56, but we would dust him at the tree most times. Our wheel man was strong on the lights and launch. Broke a lot of rear ends, but we finally replaced the Spicer with a Dana and solved that. Car would catch a little air with the left front wheel when it hooked up good.

James W Holloway
@james-w-holloway
12 years ago
1 posts

I recently got hold of a DVD with just about all the old cars that used to run at Suffolk Va in the late 60s and early 70s, Big red and the Mr zip to name a few.

Richard Gouldman
@richard-gouldman
12 years ago
86 posts

Okay, I have no clue how to add a picture to a reply. I replied with a pic!! It would be great if you could pull some pics from a DVD, but don't ask me how!! I can't remember if we ever ran Suffolk. I believe it was Colonial Beach that we would runoccasionally. That, I believe, was the track that had a concrete launch pad. We could run 10:98 and 10:99 there. Never bettered a 11:41 at Richmond.

Richard Gouldman
@richard-gouldman
12 years ago
86 posts

Yes, Jimmy migrated to oval track, and yes, 180 degree headers. Everyone knew the car as "Bumblebee". He finally gave up and built a Chevelle with a small block. Ted Hairfield came out of retirement to drive the car in the "Va 300" and won with it. Jimmy was a so-so driver on the round-the-round, but a hell of aninnovator with motors and suspension.

Jimmy raced the '58 Chevy for several years. He competed in national events at Bristol and other places. He ran below the national record on occasion, but never backed it up to go on the record books. He later built a Chevy Nova that ran modified or gas...don't recall. He, of course, ran a 348, motor set back, and a fabricated tunnel ram that he adapted from an AMC motor. He used 396/427 connecting rods, drilled the block for spark plugs below the heads, and many other wild and innovative things. (remember the combustion chamber was in the cylinder on the W motors)

I am at a loss on the Mathews & Bender car, but do remember Monty Cline and Pete Bryant racing. And yeah, we went from Gas to Bracket racing because we didn't have a roll bar and other requirements adapted for Gas class.

Jackie D. Fallen
@jackie-d-fallen
12 years ago
6 posts

Do you or anyone you, know have any pictures from the 60s? My brother raced at Richmond Dragway, New London (near Lynchburg, VA.), or Person County, near Roxboro NC. I would love some pictures of some of his drag cars. Always ran MoPars, stock and Modified Production.

Jack Fallen

Richard Gouldman
@richard-gouldman
12 years ago
86 posts

Jackie, Woody has turned you on to much more than I can help with. I have very little, and what I do have has already been posted on my page. I am trying to gather some pics myself. All of this is quite interesting and I intend to contact more folks to see what I can turn up. I still have a fewacquaintances that may be able to contribute something. Excuse me....I'm gonna make a call now before it gets too late.

Jackie D. Fallen
@jackie-d-fallen
12 years ago
6 posts

Thank you. I had already looked at your Richmond album, but no pictures of my brothers car. In 61 & 62, ran a stock Red 61 Plymouth. In 63 &64, a Red 63 Plymouth. Then he ran a B/Modified 57 Plymouth 413 Wedge, White, named ' Battle Ax'. Then later ran B/Modified Production, 65 Barracuda with a 426 Hemi, from a totalled 69 Road Runner.

All those old pictures were great, and brought back some mighty good memories. Thank You.

Jack Fallen

MICHAEL A HOLT
@michael-a-holt
12 years ago
1 posts

yes that was an still his my dads 59 corvette and he did drive other cars for monty cline

Richard Gouldman
@richard-gouldman
10 years ago
86 posts

Michael, do you have any pictures and information on Dad's Firebird? I can't find squat on the web. If you would, maybe e-mail me at home...redicls@gmail.com and/or my work...dgouldman@cnkmachinemfg.com. My boss is friends with Stan Anderson who now has the car, and we would like to learn more of the history on this car.

John Mead
@john-mead
10 years ago
8 posts

Richard, Ran in Richmond in 67,& 68 with my 348 tri-carb three speed on column, in D/S. I still remember all the big names, my favorites at the time were Pee Wee Wallace & Hurbet Platt.A lot of great memories.Still racing, going to Richmond this week end(9-20) to run in street/strip, with my 63 Catalina, factory 421, tri-carb, 4-speed. Thanks so much for your articals about Richmond. John Mead, Charlottesville Va

John Mead
@john-mead
10 years ago
8 posts

----------- on another note: I am collecting early 60`s memorabilia from, Louisa Drag Strip and Eastside Speedway. Anyone have these. Please e-mail if you do. rpo11bho@comcast.net. Thanks for your support to keep vintage drag racing alive and well. John Mead

Richard Gouldman
@richard-gouldman
10 years ago
86 posts

John, I don't have much of anything to offer. Here is one of The Flying Fatman at Louisa, Sonny Mallory's '34 coupe. The other is the late Willy Glass out of Richmond, but I'm not totally certain this was taken at Louisa. Earl Rowe used to be a regular at Louisa in his '61 Pontiac, but the only shot that I have is his Plymouth at Richmond.

John Mead
@john-mead
10 years ago
8 posts

Richard, Thanks for the photos, there great. Here are a few sites you can go to, hope you enjoy:

(Google) Eastside speedway vintage 8mm film (drags)

Louisa drag strip film let me know, there great

Richard Gouldman
@richard-gouldman
10 years ago
86 posts

John, good stuff!! Those were the days. I can't say that I was ever aware of Eastside Speedway.

I would love to visit and take in an event if they are still operating. My friend and I have sort of a bucket list, and taking in a good dragstrip event is near the top of our list. Richmond seems to have a strange schedule of mostly Friday night events, which is not convenient for us. We would much rather go to a Sat or Sun event to watch some heavy hitters compete. Thank you for the link.

John Mead
@john-mead
10 years ago
8 posts

Richard, Thanks for the input. ya, those were the days, for sure, and still at it. If you have a Nostalgia Event on your bucket list, great, Eastside is, well, ok!!. But its still, the same ol` Sunday Bracket Racing. Top ET, Footbreak and Trophy Street.(they call Nostalgia Eliminator) If you can wait until June of next year, Mason-Dixon Dragway near Hagerstown MD is far and above Eastside`s event. John Mead

Richard Gouldman
@richard-gouldman
10 years ago
86 posts

Heck, no reason we couldn't take in October's event and perhaps travel to Hagerstown next June. There is a large enough gap in time there that the wife could tolerate my attending both events. What about Budd's Creek? Do they still have regularly scheduled shows? They used to have a first class field of competitors every week.

Richard Gouldman
@richard-gouldman
10 years ago
86 posts

Thank you Mort for the input. We just may look into October's show. Great pics. Thank you for posting. My kind of place it would appear....down home and personal.

James Burkhalter
@james-burkhalter
10 years ago
9 posts

Hi Dickey, long time no see. Yes, Budds Creek is alive and well. I go there many times a year and run my MUSTANG. They have a "FIRST CLASS" facility. As you might remember, Richmond Dragway opened in May of 1964. I was the 3rd car in line for inspection. Steve Putney was the flagman, as they had no Christmas tree lights. I raced there every Sunday, Ran Colonial Beach on Saturday Nites. Boy do I have a lot of good memories and photos, also some good 8 mm film. I hope I can post them soon. Would love to see youagain. Jimmy Burkhalter

Richard Gouldman
@richard-gouldman
10 years ago
86 posts

Yeah, we missed you at this year's Cities Service reunion. I remember Steve, Jocko, Kirk McKesson I think it was. I raced a stocker back when Richmond opened. Would love to see your pictures. Look forward to your posting.

Dickie

James Burkhalter
@james-burkhalter
10 years ago
9 posts

I missed you guys too, was out of state that week. I've been very busy, but I've got a couple pics of Malcomb Pulley,s '57 Ford "Obnoxious Fordamatic", "Rebel Rouser" T-Bolt, & Hoenes & Eanes '55 Chevy "Outlaw". Still looking for some more. Give me a hint how to post them. thanks, Jimmy B.

Richard Gouldman
@richard-gouldman
10 years ago
86 posts

Okay Woody, help us out here. Jimmy, if you already have the pictures on your computer, click on the "upload files" that you will see below your response box and pick from wherever your pics are stored. If you have only photos, you will need a printer/scanner to scan your pictures onto your computer, where they will save to a folder hopefully. Beyond that I am at a loss as to how to post pictures. Like Woody, I would love to see some shots of Pulley's car, the Outlaw and any other old Richmond contenders. Let us know what you have to work with. We will try to help you through it. (Geeze Woody, another old fart with no computer skills...Ha!!)

Richard Gouldman
@richard-gouldman
10 years ago
86 posts

Just a couple of pix from this past Oct reunion. Billy Jones facing camera, back of Pettway's head, Mike's wife Pam at right. Second pic is Harding Sims on left, Tommy Williams on right, Tommy's 58hp golf cart in background. Fellow in middle I think is a friend of Gene Coward from N.C. Third pic is Ralph Hague's Harley and that is his boy's chopper.

James Burkhalter
@james-burkhalter
10 years ago
9 posts

Yep Dickie, old fart that let's my computer beat my ass up.! Thanks to you and Woody, I'll try later. Jimmy B.

James Burkhalter
@james-burkhalter
10 years ago
9 posts

Great pics Dickie. Wish I could have been there. Why is Jimmy Vaughan using a walker??

Richard Gouldman
@richard-gouldman
10 years ago
86 posts

One more suggestion...if you don't have a printer/scanner, perhaps you know someone that does. Have the pictures scanned and have them to e-mail them to you. You can then save them to your computer and attach them to a reply on DragRacersreunion.

Richard Gouldman
@richard-gouldman
10 years ago
86 posts

Ha! He ain't quite there yet. I think Jimmy was just leaning on someone else's walker. There WERE people there older than us.

James Burkhalter
@james-burkhalter
10 years ago
9 posts

For any of you who haven't seen some of my 8mm film at Richmond in '65-'66 go to youtube and type in richmond dragway 65, it was posted by my son-DanObx64.

Jackie D. Fallen
@jackie-d-fallen
10 years ago
6 posts

Hope you can geterdone, sure would love to see some pictures of my brothers old drag cars, if by chance there are any out there.

He later got into the round the round racing, as a car owner (LMS).

When it comes to computer help, I would be like Ray Charles leading a group of blind tourist on a tour of the the Grand Cavern.

Jack

James Burkhalter
@james-burkhalter
10 years ago
9 posts

Jack, what's your brother's name. I've been involved in round track racing since 1955. The last time was '81-'86 as Herman Wells crew chief and car builder. We raced SSide, Sou.Boston, Langley, & Manassas. Still close with Herman & son Brian (of dragrace fame). I used to help Ted Hairfield, Sonny Hudgins, my friend John Dotson, and (ahem) Tommy Ellis. Jimmy B.

Jackie D. Fallen
@jackie-d-fallen
10 years ago
6 posts

James, my brothers name was Floyd Fallen, but everyone knew him as "Goo'.

He became a car owner after the "Four H" drivers from Richmond, but he and I were spectators every Saturday night during that era.

Goo owned the #2 car in LMS. It was a mostly white Camaro. Ran SoBo, Orange County NC, and occasional Southside. His car ran against Wayne Patterson, Barry Baggerly, Roy Hendricks. David Blankenship drove his car for several years and David won 3 Championships at SoBo. Ward Burton drove for him 1 season, that was 1 too many.

Jackie

Jackie D. Fallen
@jackie-d-fallen
10 years ago
6 posts

I remember just about all of those cars. Saw them in there glory days, when race cars didn't have brake lights !!$$##.

James Burkhalter
@james-burkhalter
10 years ago
9 posts

Woody, sorry to say, my pic of "THE OUTLAW" is b&w and it is ruined. I will go see Wayne Hoenes and see if he can get us a pic of the car. Jimmy B.

Don Teague
@donald-teague
10 years ago
17 posts

In all my years of racing, when it comes to engine sound, the one that first hits my mine is THE OUTLAW small block 55 Chevy. That thing always sounded like the perfection of engine tuning of gasoline engines.

James Burkhalter
@james-burkhalter
10 years ago
9 posts

Jackie, I remember the #2 White Camaro very well, but I don't know Goo. Do you remember the Young boy named Taylor, his dad was Fred? He was shot at his used car lot on JD hiway and died. Jimmy B.

Jackie D. Fallen
@jackie-d-fallen
10 years ago
6 posts

No, do not recall that, and I lived here all my life, so far.

Jackie

James Burkhalter
@james-burkhalter
10 years ago
9 posts

Dickie, sorry I haven't posted any of my pics, but my damn windows 8 piece of crap has been sick & in the shop. I'm on my wife's unit in the house now. I used to live beside Alan Long. Page Campell kept his 409 in Alan's garage next door, (what a beautiful sound when they cranked er ass up)! I rode to work with Page in his '57 Chevy, we worked together at Reynolds. Do you remember Buddy Beckner and his Pontiac or '65 mustang? I had a powder bluetri-power 4 spd. Catalina, ran C-Stock, or changed to a 4 barrel & ranD-Stock.

Jimmy B.

Richard Gouldman
@richard-gouldman
10 years ago
86 posts

I'm not sure where I was, Army or newly married or something, but I remember Buddy but not all of his cars. Are Buddy and Margie still okay? Haven't heard anything about them in years. I speak with Page from time to time. I was trying to locate some pictures of his cars, but Page says he has very little in that regard, and nothing from the track. Harding Sims acquired Alan's '35 Chevy street rod (Alan's former brother-in-law) and refurbished it. It isn't finished, but he is driving it. I vaguely recall your Pontiac. If you ran D-Stock you probably had to pair up with Jimmy Scott's 348 Chevrolet on occasion. I would guess you didn't fair as well on those days. Ha!

Richard Gouldman
@richard-gouldman
10 years ago
86 posts

Jimmy, I assume that you have a home e-mail address. Contact me at redicls@gmail.com.

Wes Eisenschenk
@wes-eisenschenk
9 years ago
1 posts

Greetings. Looking for images of Clayton/Clint Wynham's 1964 Plymouth. Anyone remember that car?

Richard Gouldman
@richard-gouldman
9 years ago
86 posts

Not familiar with the name myself. You might visit Woody Delbridge's page here on RacersReunion to see if you find anything. Woody has some Richmond Dragway pics.

You might do a search for Bing Gatewood also. He has a whole bunch of Suffolk pictures posted on HotRod Hotline.