Freedom 7

Richard Gouldman
@richard-gouldman
12 years ago
86 posts

Does anyone recall or know anything about Freedom 7 Dragway? We were vacationing at Va Beach with friends back in the 60's and were at some drive-in hamburger joint. We kept seeing drag cars pass by, on trailers and such. We questioned our waitress, and proceeded into what seemed the wilderness, and eventually found this place. We didn't arrive until maybe 11:00 PM, and saw the best darn show I have ever seen. We left around 2:00 in the morning and they were still running. There was nothing but A/FX, S/S, or whatever the top dogs were then, Lafayette Ford Mustang with wild wheelstands, Big Red Dodge, Color-Me-Gone Mopar, I can't recall names and cars now, but a field of top class name cars. Strip was not lighted. Everyone ran down the same piece of asphalt that was the return lane, albeit a few plastic cones. I don't know that anyone was eliminated. They would have a break and racing resumed, same competitors. Wildest Show I ever saw. (what the heck was that Dodge....Bundy or something?)

updated by @richard-gouldman: 12/05/16 08:52:34AM
Don Teague
@donald-teague
12 years ago
17 posts

Richard, the drag strip you are talking about sounds like one that was located in Creeds, VA. It was located south of Virginia Beach between there and NC boarder. It had several names during the years it was in operation. I cant recall all the names as I always remembered tracks by their location and not track name. The dodge youre talking about was probably Bounty Hunters owned and driven by Tom Sneden, who later drove most of the Bob Banning Dodge cars.

Richard Gouldman
@richard-gouldman
12 years ago
86 posts

Thanks Don. Yes, I believe Bounty Hunter was there, and maybe Banning was the name that I was trying to recall. My memory may be a bit exaggerated, but I think there were no less than a dozen cars there that night, every single one a big name, cars that you would see in the magazines. They must have had a swell purse, but then I'm sure they didn't have to share the gate with NHRA or somebody. Ha! I have had occasion to visit dragstrips in a lot of states, from Kent Washington to the Carolinas, but I don't think I have ever been more entertained than the times I visited Budd's Creek Md and particularly this little podunk track near the beach. 'Course I WAS young and impressionable.

Steve Kinney
@steve-kinney
12 years ago
1 posts

In the 70's it was called Va. Beach raceway, IN THE 80's it was Creeds drag and off-road. The track closed for good after the 85 season. I was the track champion that last year. it is currently being used by the Va. Beach police department for driver training.