What is Wrong With NASCAR From the Eyes od an Old Fart/Fan

RWMYERS
@rwmyers
7 years ago
14 posts

Part Four;

Near the end of part three, I mentioned a couple of things NASCAR could do to help create the name recognition missing in the Xfinity and Camping World Series, and soon to be in their "premier" series if the cup owners continue to bring the no-name kids along so quickly.  I think some of the following ideas could go a long way in developing a real following for some of the new drivers.

The NASCAR TV package makes it possible to hold "developmental" series events in conjunction with the "cup" tracks which puts money in ISC and SMI pockets.  Why not put some of that money in the South Boston's or Motor Miles, Langley's or Myrtle Beaches or any number of other great short tracks?  Make the ISC and SMI tracks like Daytona, Charlotte and a few more special events for those series.  They could use five of the ISC and SMI superspeedways (10 events).  Then add in Martinsville, Bristol and Richmond for double headers for the Xfinity or trucks or even a big-time Late Model Stock or Modified show with one of the series when the cup cars are at some of the Midwest or west coast venues or even a week night or two.  Then bring in six to eight of the great short tracks along with a couple of the stand-alone events those series already do and you have a good schedule that would generate some name recognition for the drivers as well as the excitement for the local fans getting to see the "developmental" series at their local track, not to mention the money the owners could save in travel, tires, engines, etc.

They could do away with Owner points unless the car was driven by an Xfinity/Camping World driver in every event.  They could begin awarding their dang Stage points to the highest finishing series regular instead of the current system.  If the "bushwhacker" doesn't receive driver points, they shouldn't dock the regulars the points for the positions filled by the "bushwhackers" or car owner points for that matter.

Getting back to having the "developmental" series at the short tracks.  Can you imagine trying to find a seat at the Nashville Fairgrounds Speedway during the Tennessee State Fair for a Thursday night Camping World Truck Series event with Kyle Busch and Keselowsik rubbing fenders for a 200 lapper with the Nashville regulars in a seat or two on in a hundred lap Late Model door banger in front of a big crowd and a couple or three "name" owners or drivers scouting talent?  Sounds good when you lay it out like this but I am sure NASCAR can find a way to complicate things.

Good things sometimes come in small packages.  Maybe it is time to really get back to the roots of the sport and try to rebuild from the bottom up instead of from Daytona Beach down.

More in part five. 

updated by @rwmyers: 08/17/17 10:08:28AM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
7 years ago
9,137 posts

Those old "Road to Charlotte" promotions run by Charlotte Motor Speedway to publicize their Late Model Sportsman races used to put a lot of spotlight on local tracks and drivers. CMS posted prize money and guaranteed that particular weekly track winner of a starting spot in one of the CMS LMS events. Ed Clark and crew from Charlotte were on hand at the weekly track to publicize and hand out an oversized check for photo ops and news releases. That promo brought a lot of attention to various weekly tracks and their drivers, as well as benefitting CMS.

Although the equipment provided wasn't the best, the old "Big Chance Special" promotions run by Charlotte that put a weekly driver in a Cup car at CMS through fan voting also highlighted weekly track talent and generated tons of PR for the World 600.

Promos like those could still be used.

Can't wait, Randy for Part V!

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
7 years ago
9,137 posts

Here's the link to an idea thrown out by former weekly racer and retired Cup driver, Jeff Burton back in May 2017 to tie NASCAR back to its weekly roots:

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2017/05/21/burton-go-big-but-think-small-its-time-to-move-the-all-star-race-to-the-hard-racing-roots/

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
7 years ago
3,119 posts

Part Four is excellent and some of those points I have spoken about in several places, mainly the awarding of points to ONLY the competitors of the series who are running of the title.  There is absolutely no reason, other than insanity, to award points to a Kevin Harvick, Kyle Busch, Brad Kesolowski of Joey Logano that would deprive a series regular from those points.  Good job Randy.  Now just make NASCAR listen.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.