JUST A COMMENT ABOUT A MEMBER

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
14 years ago
3,119 posts

Yesterday I traveled to Sumter Speedway at the invitation of my good friend, Robbie Solesbee. I always enjoy my trips there and the people I meet there and Robbie is always most gracious in his hospitality, as are the owners of the track. But, I want to write this blog about another member about whom I want to comment.

I can't recall the first time I met Jimmy Johnson (please note the correct spelling of Jimmy), but believe it was at The Memory Lane Musuem in Mooresville in March, 2009. At my age, my memory seems to have difficulty in recalling dates of recent happenings although what I was doing on June 23, 1956, is readily accessible. Since that first encounter, I have had the occassion to be in the company and presence of Jimmy many times at many different events and venues. Many of our current members are here because they encountered Jimmy at some point in time, as is in evidenced by the number of members indicating Jimmy is the one who told them about Racers Reunion.

When I got to Sumter yesterday, the first person I saw was Mr. Johnson in front of his motorhome offering his racing products and souverniers for sale. As soon as he saw me, that Jimmy Johnson patented "half smile" appeared and his hand went up in the air. We engaged in conversation to catch up with things since our last encounter at Rockingham in early October. Jimmy relays his adventures in form worthy of short stories to be read with relish, anticipating the next event as something half out of fiction, but always in truth. I love listening to Jimmy Johnson.

I guess I may have known this already, but if so I had forgotten. I don't think Jimmy will mind me sharing the fact of his age. Oh, wait, on second thought, I haven't asked him so I'll leave that alone. What I will say, though, is that Jimmy looks and acts at least 20 years younger than his actual years. He is an amazing ball of energy, even for a 25 year old guy. Simply put, "amazing" sums it up.

I think this may be the first time I've written anything on here about a member, but I just felt like doing it about Jimmy Johnson today. He is a man whose friendship I value greatly and whom I have watched, time and again, go beyong "the call of duty" to bring a smile to the face of a child. He interacts with all fans as a most positive person and is exceptional at spreading the word about the history of racing and about Racers Reunion. Jimmy Johnson is just one of those special people you are most fortunate to encounter from time to time.

I often speak of the great friendships I've made through this site and there are many of you included in that statement. I'm just singling out Jimmy today because I especially enjoy the camaradie with someone who has such an extensive background in racing and who so willingly shares it.

God bless you Jimmy Johnson (even if YOU haven't won four consecutive Cup Championships).

Tim

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:02:07PM
Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
14 years ago
488 posts
It was good to see Jimmy J. at the track last night. Pulling in the driveway I saw the #54 chevy and told my passengers a brief history of the car and saw Jimmy over there, as Tim describes, doing what he does best conversing with the crowd. Again I saw Jimmy at the ticket booth and I lit up, not seeing Jimmy since the Polar Bear 150 January 2010 it was good to see him again. Even though we don't hang together I think of him as a friend, he's so approachable.
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts
True words, my friend. What Jimmy Johnson does for RacersReunion, Memory Lane Museum, and Rockingham Speedway are invaluable and he does it all with that smile you described. Ambassador..is a good descriptive reference, but more than that Jimmy is family...mine yours, and many, many more!

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Devin
@devin
14 years ago
618 posts
With this in mind, I spent the last hour searching for some photos I had taken and made a club for Jimmy. Please stop by and join and post a photo if you'd like. :)

Jeff Gilder said:
True words, my friend. What Jimmy Johnson does for RacersReunion, Memory Lane Museum, and Rockingham Speedway are invaluable and he does it all with that smile you described. Ambassador..is a good descriptive reference, but more than that Jimmy is family...mine yours, and many, many more!
Mike Sykes
@mike-sykes
14 years ago
308 posts
I simply will say it this way ditto. ditto. ditto.ditto........
Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
14 years ago
626 posts
Great job Jimmy keep up the good work
ray lamm
@ray-lamm
14 years ago
214 posts
jimmy johnson a true super freind i was at event this year and need a table for my albums and ask jimmy did he had one.no but jimmy take his souverniers off his table to give me a table to put my albums on..now i call that one true freind.it one thing i love about jimmy he will take his time out for you.jimmy i am thankful to be your freind.
Michael W. Smith
@michael-w-smith
14 years ago
109 posts
If Jimmie Johnson becomes a 5 time champ this weekend he still won't be a hair on Jimmy Johnsons butt! If you added up what Jimmy has done for our sport and the people he has touched along the way Jimmy has set the bar higher then any other Jimmie will ever reach. Thank you Tim for the awesome words about a real racer and good friend. God bless you Jimmy and keep on diggin! W
Mike Ray2
@mike-ray2
14 years ago
27 posts
Dear Tim,Jimmy is a very special person,a great human being and a friend to all.I'm very blessed to have met him.Thanks for the piece written on him.peace,out.