Historic speedways.

Randy Binkley
@randy-binkley
13 years ago
9 posts
We just had a grass roots organizational effort in saving the oldest short track in existence..Nashville Fairgrounds Speedway was going to be destroyed byour mayor, who looked down on stock car racing!My goodness, we fought our guts out and actually turned public opinion to our favor,it was the most beautiful experience,Ive ever witness...Look,if your track is coming under seige,then by all means research how we here in Nashville handled the situation! Btw,and totally bragging here..But our track has produced more Winston cup drivers ,than any short track in America,the 5/8 mile with a 1/4 mile track inside is so perfect!
updated by @randy-binkley: 12/05/16 04:08:38PM
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
13 years ago
1,783 posts
And a well fought battle it was! Congrats to the whole team who were able save this track. Now the challenge....to support it! Hopefully the track will be managed by someone who understands wha tit takes to put butts in seats...and hopefully the public will come.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
13 years ago
907 posts
Randy, Fantastic job! You are SO right, at some point along the way, the political tide turned against racing in general, and local short tracks in particular. However, politicians crave votes, and are generally quick to jump on the side of any vote-garnering agenda. We must get their attention. America's short-track nation can have political muscle. Without getting on a soap box, here, anything in America is possible...there's countless big-time examples...depending on the price that will be paid. Saving a historic speedway is a very real and worthy cause. Again, very well done!
Randy Binkley
@randy-binkley
13 years ago
9 posts
You're so right Jeff,we need someone who willpromote the hell out of it..However,were going to have to get the out of stateracers invoved to fatten the fields!

Jeff Gilder said:
And a well fought battle it was! Congrats to the whole team who were able save this track. Now the challenge....to support it! Hopefully the track will be managed by someone who understands wha tit takes to put butts in seats...and hopefully the public will come.
D. Mudd
@d-mudd
13 years ago
12 posts
Thanks Randy. I love that racetrack. Basically grew up out there on Saturday nights back in the 70's. Place oozes with history-- Waltrip, Coo Coo and Sterling Marlin, Dave Sisco, Alexander family, James Ham, Flookie Buford, some guy named Charlie Binkley, the Petty's, Allisons, Gant, Lindley, Ingram, Ard, Ottinger, Red Farmer, Marty Robbins (which BTW if you haven't already done so you need to go back and listen to one of this sites Racin Through History radio archive shows on Marty Robbins- http://www.racersreunionradio.com/archive_detail.php?archive_id=266 ). Lets hope the Fair Board gives someone a long term lease.
Randy Binkley
@randy-binkley
13 years ago
9 posts

Mr.Mudd,you're so right,and I coundn't imagaine that piece of real estate not being left around for my children and their children! Hey,thanks for the link,I love anything connected to to the good ole days! We are hoping for a long term lease,no,the fight isnt over,it just appears that way! The real politics concerning racing to be part of the Fairboard's master plans, is still up in the air,so folks stay involved and engaged
D. Mudd said:
Thanks Randy. I love that racetrack. Basically grew up out there on Saturday nights back in the 70's. Place oozes with history-- Waltrip, Coo Coo and Sterling Marlin, Dave Sisco, Alexander family, James Ham, Flookie Buford, some guy named Charlie Binkley, the Petty's, Allisons, Gant, Lindley, Ingram, Ard, Ottinger, Red Farmer, Marty Robbins (which BTW if you haven't already done so you need to go back and listen to one of this sites Racin Through History radio archive shows on Marty Robbins- http://www.racersreunionradio.com/archive_detail.php?archive_id=266 ). Lets hope the Fair Board gives someone a long term lease.