THE MOUTH PIECE

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
13 years ago
3,259 posts

Some think that DW is the greatest announcer on Nascar-- True he was there in the 70's-80's-and 90's. BUT so was Kyle Petty and you know what, Kyle Petty comes across with more logic and common sense than DW lately.

I would really like to see Kyle up in the tower with his true knowledge of the real NASCAR.-----------------------------------Or do you have a better choice--------------------------------- input please

updated by @johnny-mallonee: 01/06/17 09:51:34PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
I have heard David do "color". When they first ran the big spring and fall modified/sportsman shows at Martinsville, they were always scheduled on an "off" Cup weekend and drew huge crowds. They were also broadcast live on MRN and on at least one of those shows Barney Hall anchored and had his buddy, David Pearson as color man. I remember Ray Hendrick had cleaned the field in the 250-lap modified race and was getting ready to also win the 250-lap Late Model Sportsman show, pulling a double. When Barney asked David how long it would take Ray to be a winner at the Cup level, David answered, "Long enough to strap in." I had always liked David, but liked him more after that astute observation. Also, haven't seen his name mentioned, but I always thought Eli Gold did a good job at MRN and could contribute on a telecast.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

Walking across the "old" Richmond 1/2-mile track after a race around1987, Mike Joy said he had two things he wanted to tell me:

1) Paul Sawyer would never build a decent track in Richmond

2) Derrike Cope would never win a Cup race

Enuff said.

--
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
13 years ago
279 posts
I have to go along with Bob Jenkins and Andy Petree in the booth. I like Tim Brewer on the cutaway car and Jerry Punch and someone like Mike Joy in the pits. That would be a great team even with 2 guys in the booth. Why are 3 needed??? Do more from pit road with the experience of Punch and Joy. I do enjoy Bob Jenkins on a regular basis because he does the Indycar races on VERSES TV so you stock car people can't have him! He's all ours on Indycar. I'm going to be nice and not say anythingnegativeabout the morons I don't like.
Bill Godlewski
@bill-godlewski
13 years ago
16 posts

DW is ok. And so is Kyle Petty. I have no idea why Wally is there! At least they are all not as bad as Rusty Wallace.

But I really do miss Benny Parsons!!!

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
After all is said and done, I, too would vote to have Bob Jenkins in the booth. How much fun those Thursday night ESPN sprint car telecasts from IRPused to be and he was/is a knowledgeable pro when broadcasting any series. When ESPN first began a lot of NASCAR telecasts with Jenkins and Larry Nuber I went to a ESPN production team member at Darlington before the April Rebel 400/CRC Chemicals 400 and gotseveral ovalESPN decals. We then put them just under the word "Wrangler" on the rear quarter panels and beside the word "Wrangler" on the back tv panel of Earnhardt's Osterlund Pontiac. Well, during the race the tv cameras zoomed in on the ESPN decals on Earnhardt's car and the ESPN directors kept it on cameraand Jenkins and Nuber had to talk about Dale and the "Wrangler Jeans Machine", regardless of where it was running. Just an early lesson of how to get your car sponsorship on tv. In those early tv days. CBS and ABC absolutely would NOT mention car sponsors, but ESPN would and started to pick up a lot of sponsor tv advertising beacause it did.

--
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
13 years ago
3,259 posts
there---someone finally said the majic word BENNY PARSONS true all the ones that have been spoken about are real good no one had the unique flair that Benny had--a been there did that and got the trophy grin but a heart of gold ------ but he had that magic touch and voice to back it up
Christopher Krul
@christopher-krul
13 years ago
119 posts
DW always comes across as a know it all. Kinda similar to Sam Posey. Those two both think alike.
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
13 years ago
3,259 posts
yes you are right I suppose im living in the past again----- but wasnt that where all the greats were?? at the moment our greats list is kinda shabby with the exception of two or three---unless im not plugged in.. Jeff Gilder is a great one but he has a position every tues nite----Tim Leeming is another but you cant exactly broadcast out his Liar that little mouthpiece up in Dalton is not old enough yet--Bobby has a shop to run and keep Bill straight---Wally is only good for a quarter mile (HA HA HA) at a time ---Patrick has his hands full with R/R broadcasting---Jerry Smith has his race theme rolling good----this could go on and on you know---any more ??
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
13 years ago
3,259 posts
HA HA HA DAMMIT BOY you are right there