Earnhardt & Robert Gee Cleaned House at Wilson in 1977

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

I've discussed on this board before when Dale Earnhardt & Robert Gee came to Wilson County Speedway in 1977 and cleaned house in the Southern 200. On the superb Eastern North Carolina racing web site Local Race Chat is posted a Wilson County Speedway program page from the 1978 season, with a photo showing Dale and Robert Gee accepting the winner's spoils from that big 1977 race. What a show that was to see!

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 01/06/18 08:24:37AM
Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
13 years ago
907 posts

The Southern 200 was an important and prestigious event back in the day. Of course, the American Legionwho supposedly owned Wilson Co. Speedway, or had ample political clout, eventually pulled the plug on the historic speedway.....the noise was always interfering with our Saturday night dances..............

The race track and the grand stands are still there, but the town of Wilson has about engulfed the site. It's memories now.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
Jim, Wish I knew the purse for Wilson's 1977 Southern 200, but don't. I've seen a couple of other Southern 200 Results Sheets posted, but not one from this event. Our member, Jack Walker has posted results from the 1974 race, but no purse money. Looking at the results of that event, with Dennis Smith of Goldsboro winning and Al Grinnan of Fredericksburg/Richmond on the pole, it's interesting to note brothers Glenn McDuffie and JD McDuffie finishing 5th and 12th, respectively. My guess is that Jack would be a good resource to track down that purse info... I'd also love to see a results sheet from the Southern 200 Earnhardt won. The late Mutt Powell of Hemingway, SC was very successful in those Southern 200 races through the years.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
From the Wilson, NC newspaper clip of the 1972 race posted on this site by Tony Powell, his dad, Mutt Powelltook $2000 for the 1972 win.

--
Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
13 years ago
560 posts

Any information or photos of Earnhardt Sr. & Robert Gee's winning race car?
Is this same modified race car #17 that was raced and won the "1978 Modified 200 Daytona Race" by Darrell Waltrip and painted white with #88 Gatorade sponsored decals.

This car was later raced with #17 and sponsored by Pepsi (1983?) (Diet Pepsi?) decals and bought at Robert Gee's auction and repainted as white #88 Gatorade modified race car that won "1978 Modified 200 Daytona Race" and was last seen by me at Darrell Waltrip's race museum at his race shop around 1993.
Is there an Robert Gee Museum at his old house and race shop garage down the road from Lowe's Speedway?
How many race cars did Robert Gee owned or built in his life time?

updated by @dennis-garrett: 08/29/19 08:44:04PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
All I remember about that winning 1977 Wilson car was that it was a Camaro painted orange & white. Most of the competition was in Chevelles. I haven't been by Robert's house on Hudspeth RD since the 80s and don't know what is there. I don't know that anyone would know how many cars Robert ever worked on and built, beginning back in Emporia, Virginia. The list of drivers is long and successful. Robert did a tremendous amount of fabrication on cars he didn't own, like AJ Foyt's, etc. Some of the old Charlotte area dirt track guys can probably name lots of Robert Gee cars.

--
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
13 years ago
1,783 posts
You guys amaze me with your racing memories! Thanks very much for sharing.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

This article, surprisingly from NASCAR, should be required reading on the subject of Robert Gee. Too long to post, but very informative and has several nice photos. The Apollo Restaurant mentioned is the one where Wally Bell reminisces eating with Dick May, Bob Latford, et al.

Please open and read.. it is good:

http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/headlines/cup/03/14/dearnhardtjr.rh...

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

Just looked in an old address book I hadn't opened in 12 years and I found this handwritten "card":

--
Tommy Buxton
@tommy-buxton
13 years ago
53 posts

Dave, thanks for sharing this with everyone. I read this when it first came out and it really is easy to understand why Mr Hendricks replaced Kyle with Dale Jr. Sometimes it is just plain more about the person than about their ability to drive.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
look forward to seeing those.. thanks

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
7 years ago
9,137 posts

Wilson Daily Times November 14, 1977 covered the Dale Earnhardt/Robert Gee win in the Southern Late Model 200 at Wilson County Speedway. 

dailytimes.PNG

--