Winston Cup Museum

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
8 years ago
3,119 posts

How many of you are aware that there is a Winston Cup Museum in Winston-Salem, North Carolina? Established, I understand, in 2004 by Will Spencer. There is actually a FaceBook Page for the Museum. I really was surprised to discover this museum and as closely as I try to stay connected to the history of the sport, I am embarrassed to say I did not know it existed. I am working on having Mr. Spencer as a Tuesday night guest on Racing Through History as soon as that can be worked out.

If you already knew about this place, please let me know. If you have been there, please share your opinion of the place. The Facebook page is loaded with photos of memories of that era in racing in which I was deeply involved.

One final thing. Many of you have participated in our group trips to the NASCAR Hall of Fame, the North Carolina Auto Racing Hall of Fame and Memory Lane Museum. How many would be interested in planning a trip to The Winston Cup Museum?

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:02:57PM
Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
8 years ago
626 posts

I would Tim if i can make it Mike Sikes had told me about it some time back

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
8 years ago
4,073 posts

A few years ago, Dave Fulton posted about the same a-ha moment.

http://stockcar.racersreunion.com/forum/topics/never-heard-of-this-anybody-been

Someone has also created a profile here for the museum - though I don't know who controls it. It hasn't had much activity.

http://stockcar.racersreunion.com/profile/TheWinstonCupMuseum

And Randall / Photobug has shared many neat pictures from the museum.

http://stockcar.racersreunion.com/photo/photo/search?q=winston+cup+museum

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
8 years ago
9,137 posts

Yep, I remember "discovering" and posting about the Winston Cup Museum four years ago, back in 2012.

Members Jimmy Johnson and NB Arnold had been there.

Should I tell you the name of a "famous" person who wears a big cowboy hat and responded to my post on January 25, 2012? Nah... it's Mother's Day and I'm trying to be extra nice, lol!

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
LAVERNE ZACHARY
@laverne-zachary
8 years ago
117 posts

I went there back in 2013 and would like to go back sometime.Here are a few pictures I made that day.

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
8 years ago
3,119 posts

First of all, a good friend e-mailed me first thing this morning to advise me of exactly what Dave and TMC Chase said. I guess either my memory is fading quicker than I thought, or there is just so much going on in my head every day that I need refreshers. Thank you all for pointing that out. Be that as it may, for me this was a new discovery this past week although I had once discovered it. How do I explain that? Guess I won't even try but thanks to those who pointed out my slip here. Dave, January 25, 2012, huh? I am surprised it slipped my mind that quickly.

Laverne, thank you for posting those awesome pictures. So, as I seem to get more and more forgetful these days, someone remind me we need to plan a trip up there over the summer.

Again, thank you all, especially YOU DAVE, for not calling me out on Mother's Day!!!!!

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
8 years ago
9,137 posts

Strictly tongue in cheek, of course.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Devin
@devin
8 years ago
618 posts

Count me in, please.