RACING THOUGH HISTORY, October 11, 2016

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
8 years ago
3,119 posts

To all you very faithful supporters of the Tuesday night radio offering known as "Thee Goat Rodeo", although I'm not particularly in favor of that nickname for "Racing Through History", there willbe NO show tonight. Jeff left me a voice mail that we should be back on the air next week but the storm sort of put things on hold for a week.

You know, in a small way, I'm glad there will be no show. Before I got the word, I was already working on the Legendtorial, which reading back over it before deleting it, I realized it was probably the most negative I've written on NASCAR since I told myself I need to back off the negativity. Seeing the stands Sunday was a disgrace for the sport. Two races in one day and not enough fans in the stands to make a good showing at the old half-mile Columbia Speedway Grand National races on dirt back in the 50s and 60s. I haven't even looked for the television ratings this morning because I can't even find them anymore as NASCAR has managed to learn how to delete certain information they don't want known. Sound familiar?

I'll miss you all tonight. Hope you all will have a good day and stay safe. This coming week they race in Kansas. I am not a big fan of that track at all. Dorothy and Toto are the best things to come out of Kansas and they had to be swept away by a tornado before they even appreciated it.

See you all next week. Maybe something positive will happen in the meantime, about with I can write with enthusiasm.

God bless!

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:02:57PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
8 years ago
9,137 posts

In the meantime, you rest up and follow the orders of the docs and your wife!

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
8 years ago
3,259 posts

I know the feeling Tim, racing especially this year in the Sprint cup level(I still miss the Grand National name) just doesnt have thepizzazz in it from week to week. To manydeviationsfromthe goal of real process to the ultimate winner. Pre inspection should be enough, no post inspection,things happen on the track that changes setup and ride height. I knowSmokeyand Jr Johnson and many others used this to their advantage but that put the unknow thrill into racing,not if Jimmie Johnson or Brad has enough gas to coast to the pits.

No its not what we had,those days I guess are gone, BUT we still have the Vintage series cars and races to relive with and there is even a littleamateurism that makes it even more exciting.

Alex FL Racing Fan
@alex-fl-racing-fan
8 years ago
221 posts

Thanks for the forewarning. I was going to log on tonight and wonder why I was alone!

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
8 years ago
907 posts

Apparently "the show must go on" is the mantra of NASCAR and Bruton-CAR. Maybe they had no alternative. Unless you were under a rock, everybody in the world was aware a hurricane was approaching, its path always centered on the Carolina's. I've lived on the coast all my life and in such a scenario, NO BODY is focusing on ANYTHING else. Before the storm, or after it. As the world now knows, many in the area are now in survival mode, helicopter rescues etc. And, even for those escaping hurricane damage, the power, internet, cable, etc. etc. in eastern North Carolina was non existent, and remains in many areas....watching the race was impossible. I'm not sure what NASCAR or Charlotte could have, or should have done, but to carry on, as if nothing had happened, in their own state, seemed a little heartless to me.

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
8 years ago
907 posts

The postponed Charlotte event garnered a 1.2 overnight rating, according to Jayski......a drop of 14% over last year, which was also postponed to the following day.

Alex FL Racing Fan
@alex-fl-racing-fan
8 years ago
221 posts

The race was, however, simulcast on NBC and NBCSN. So they had two channels showing the race, and combined they got a 2.07.

http://www.racer.com/north-american-racing/item/135381-tv-ratings-charlotte-suzuka