Remembering EJ Potter

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
11 years ago
3,259 posts

http://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/E.J.-Potter-first-Chevy-bike.jpg

One year ago today, the motorsports world lost one of its great characters, EJ Potter. We look back at a truly singular individual.

Elon Jack Potter was born on April 24, 1941 in Ithaca, a tiny town 120 miles northwest of Detroit, nearly dead center in the Michigan hand. He lived on the family farm all his lifewhen he wasnt out touring the world as the Michigan madman. His father was both a farmer and a chemistry professor, two trades that explain a lot about EJs unique ensemble of talents.

As a teenager EJ experimented with farm machinery and motorcycles, including a Harley flat tracker and a Vincent Black Shadow. In 1960, only 19, he built his first V8 bike, cutting apart a Harley big twin with a torch and wedging a 283 Chevy within the frame tubes. After attempting to cobble a centrifugal clutch, he gave up and hooked up the Chevy direct drive.

When the local police ordered the mechanical menace off the streets, EJ hauled it to a local drag strip where, by pure chance, he met Art Arfons. The Green Monster racer told EJ that if he could manage not to kill himself, he could probably made a good living doing exhibition dates. Art generously loaned EJ his little black book of drag strip promoters and a career was launched.

http://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/EJ-Potter-out-of-shape-.jpg

EJ built a total of seven Chevy-powered bikes, the first three known as Bloody Mary and the last four also raced under the Widowmaker name. They were refined over the years but all employed the same basic schtick: EJ started the engine with the rear wheel propped up on an axle stand. With the revs up around 5000 rpm or so, he rocked the bike off the stand, smoking the rear tire the length of the track, steering with the throttle, and crossing the finish line at 155 to 160 mph. Fans couldnt get enough of the colorful act. Those who saw it wont forget it.

After surviving over a dozen years on the road with this show, EJ retired the two-wheelers and launched a second successful career as a tractor puller. All the tractors were powered by WWII-era Allison V-1710 aircraft engines, a lifelong passion for EJ (his daughter was named Alison). Fabricated with theatrical roughness, the pullers carried the names Tractor, Ugly Tractor, and Double Ugly, and won two national championships. Along with the bikes and tractors, some other EJ Potter productions:

+ A three-wheel motorcycle powered by a Fairchild J-44 jet engine that originally powered a cruise missile. After crashing the 200 mph trike, he sold it to Evel Kneivel.

+ Nightmare, a 1957 Plymouth four-door sedan with an Allison V12 engine, a tugboat clutch, and a Chevy one-ton truck rear axle. Driving the Plymouth from the back seat, he ran the quarter at 145+ mph.

+ The Super Slot Car, a gutted English sedan with a giant electric motor that got its juice via cables laid the length of the drag strip. An Allison aircraft engine (what else?) powered the generator.

+ Nightmare Too, a Dodge Dart station wagon also powered by an Allison V-1710. When the Darts exhibition career was over, he removed the aircraft engine, welded the floor pan back in, reinstalled the stock drivetrain, and put it back on the road for Mrs. Potter to drive.

You can find some of these creations in the slideshow below. For more, see EJs wonderful autobiography, Michigan Madman: As Told to You. Its out of print but worth the searchwith his dry, self-mocking humor, hes just as much fun to read as he was to watch. EJ passed away at age 71 on April 30, 2012, due to complications from Alzheimers Disease. We wont see his likes again.

Bloody Mary 2

Bloody Mary 2

Allison Dart under construction

Allison Dart under construction

Widow Maker at speed

Widow Maker at speed

EJ Potter Bloody Mary

EJ Potter Bloody Mary

Bloody Mary 2 Autorama Extreme 2009

Bloody Mary 2 Autorama Extreme 2009

Bloody Mary 2 intake setup

Bloody Mary 2 intake setup

Nightmare Allison-powered 1957 Plymouth

Nightmare Allison-powered 1957 Plymouth

EJ Potter Bloody Mary 3 on stand

EJ Potter Bloody Mary 3 on stand

EJ. Potter Widow Maker engine front

EJ. Potter Widow Maker engine front

EJ Potter jet trike

updated by @johnny-mallonee: 12/30/16 04:10:56PM
Thomas Warren2
@thomas-warren2
11 years ago
23 posts

Great reading. Some of the videos I have put on this site,from many different You Tube users, shows that truly insane starting line start. Dare to be different, EJ was probably the master.

Thomas Warren2
@thomas-warren2
11 years ago
23 posts

. I believe that to be E.J. Potter in this video. Comes in around 1:05. Don't know if I have anymore.

Gary Gore2
@gary-gore2
11 years ago
2 posts

As a teenagerI can remember my Dad receiveing a press kit for a booking from EJ. It was a torn piece of cardboard, had our address on one side and "I want to race at your racetrack on the other side with his name and #. It worked, we hadthe Chevy/Bike and people went nuts. Lot of nuts in the same house that day. What a character.

JAck Redd
@jack-redd
11 years ago
111 posts

Thanks Johnny on your story of this wild & crazy guy. I met him at Aquasco Speedway back in the early '60's.

I was working the starting line when he was booked in at the track. I was lining up the cars for eliminations. Here he comes up with the Chevy V-8 powered cycle. I looked at him and thought he was just a crew member. He looked like a college professor. He climbs on that bike with the rear wheel off the strip, rev's it up, goes forward with his body and off he went. Everyone was startled as I was. Man, he had nerves of steel.

Royce Fink
@royce-fink
10 years ago
2 posts

Got to see EJ In the Mid-sixties when he came to the Mid-Carolina drag strip in SC. Once on the Widow Maker & once in the 57 Plymouth. He put on a great show. Royce