"Real" Media Members Don't Ask for Driver Autographs or Posed Photos

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

One of our Charlotte newspaper sports columnists in London covering the Olympics filed this brief Friday night:

Foreign journalists have different rules from us in the U.S.

By Scott Fowler
Friday, Jul. 27, 2012
( Scott Fowler is a national award-winning sports columnist for T he Charlotte Observer )

LONDON Its interesting to watch the international media interview the U.S. mens basketball team. The rules are different in some countries. No self-respecting American journalist would ask for a picture with or an autograph from a player he or she is interviewing, but stern warnings had to be issued before the teams joint press conference Friday because some foreign journalists are known to do just that.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/07/27/3411014/foreign-journalists-have-different.html#storylink=cpy

Thank you, Scott Fowler. The same rule applies at the race track. However, with the influx of "citizen journalists" and internet writers who never before set foot inside a race track, the RULE needs to be reinforced.

"Real," "legitimate" media members do NOT ask for driver autographs or permission to pose for a photo with a driver. That is left to fans. If you ever have the opportunity to "cover" a motorsports event as a credentialed media member, please do not embarrass yourself, the driver or track officials by ever doing this. Many drivers are too nice today to say anything.

If you EVER, EVER ask for an autograph or photo while credentialed as a media member, the track has every single right to ask you to leave and refuse you future credentials. That's what they should do and what I hope they will do.

This is a real pet peeve of mine and I am so glad to see Scott Fowler address the issue. Legitimate journalists don't ask for autographs.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 12/05/16 04:02:07PM
Carol Bell
@carol-bell
12 years ago
36 posts

Which is why the picture of Richard Petty and my brother isn't autographed.

Christopher Krul
@christopher-krul
12 years ago
119 posts

I work in TV News myself and the most important thing I remember is I am covering people, places and events. I am on the job and I got a job to do for the public. If I was covering a NASCAR event I would not even think to ham it up and get autographs. I will do that on my own time as a fan. But if I am on the clock and doing a job, no way.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Get all the autographs you want as a fan. Never ask for an autograph if you are a credentialed media member. Scott Fowler's piece struck a resounding cord with me this morning.

I can't imagine why you would intimate I was trashing your profession. It has always been clearly understood that credentialed journalists are not to ask for autographs and photos. You cannot begin to imagine how much of a problem this is for track personnel to police.

There was a deceased sports magazine owner in Richmond who was finally banned from getting credentials to any track because he went in to the media centers with a large satchel, filled it full of all the press kits he could stuff, then asked drivers to autograph photos from them that he in turn sold.

It is never permissible for a credentialed media member to ask an athlete for an autograph or to pose for a photo with the credentialed media member.

Sorry you feel the need to post personal criticism. I stand by my comments.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Exactly the way it is supposed to be done, Christopher.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

PattyKay... I sure wish you would calm down. I am talking strictly about individuals who have been issued media credentials because they are on assignment. The rules are known. And, nobody ever objects to having items autographed for sick children. That is is a much different animal than asking for an autograph for yourself.

Have a media credential=don't ask for an autograph. Very simple.

And yes, I happened to read a piece this morning, also, by some ditzy broad who claimed she had received credentials to Pocono, New Hampshire and Dover and went on to brag about her photos and the wonderful time she had in the media centers and the autographs, ad nauseum. I wanted to puke. I hope no working journalists were denied credentials while this ditz "citizen journalist" was taking up space. I had never heard the term before I read it this morning as she used it.

I used to be responsible for issuing over 600 media credentials per event and I always hoped I made good solid decisions that let folks do their jobs without being bothered by one of the folks like I read about this morning.

--
Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
12 years ago
589 posts

Even though on not as big of scale as Nascar...I work media and announcing. But when in Nascar...why would you even want autographs since you see the guys every single week....sometimes 3-4 times a week.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Sorry you feel like you do. Your loss.

--
Carol Bell
@carol-bell
12 years ago
36 posts

I'ma sceered to jump in here, but let me clarify my comment. I carried that picture of Steve and Richard around the pits at TMS. The one time I was lucky enough to come across Richard Petty, he was literally running between his pit stalls. I didn't feel it was appropriate for me to interrupt the man to have him sign the picture. These people are working and they are working fast.

That said, I really just wanted to sit down and cry because I doubted I'd have that good a chance again.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

Dave,there is a game kids of probably 12 and under play called rock em sock em.

Now each person who reacted to this post has given away more autographs than they think, before you became as important as you are in todays world you have signed your name on things of little importance to major documents.

I guess Ive signed one or two things for I will call them Fans of our sport. I have smiled at the camera, Rex White taught me that, and hugged plenty of ladies. Hands were shook but I dont think any posing was done,other than with my hero Tim,and Tommie,and Bob,ok a few maybe but that wasnt the norm. Mikes stuck in front of us at the tracks were from Beer salemen to REAL reporters of people who put their words in type.

Im notorious in writing my take on things in my words and if its what someone wrote I copy what I think is enough to convey the message intent.

And you know what,??? Its racing--------------------------------------------------------------------memories