Iredell Speedway

Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
12 years ago
327 posts

Article originally posted by Dave Fulton:

A look back at the short-lived Iredell Speedway By: Joel Reese

Statesville Record & Landmark Published: June 03, 2011

Have you ever wondered why Iredell County doesnt have a stock car track? Would you believe it has something to do with Sunday morning preachers and some milk cows?

Iredell County could probably claim to have more connections to NASCAR than any county in the country, but we lack just one thing a race track. But you know what? We used to have one.

Local history researcher Rodney Kennedy found a full-page ad in The Statesville Record on March 27, 1948, Announcing the Official Opening of the New Iredell Speedway, Inc. Sunday, April 4th, with 100 laps of Fast Stock Car Racing. The ad stated that the new Iredell Speedway would cater to the Racing of the Stock Car Type and Possibly Some with Real Racing Cars. The new track sat eight miles north of downtown, off the Turnersburg Highway.

Ed Lowe and J.H. Church, incorporators of the speedway, announced plans to run a series of stock car, race car and motorcycle events at the new half-mile dirt track. The track had taken a year to construct and featured a grandstand for spectators with free and ample parking along with refreshments.

The tracks first race, held April 3, 1948, featured 29 drivers competing in two 10-lap heat events, a 20-lap consolation and a final 60-lap main event. The track was watered and sprayed with calcium chloride to keep the dust down. The entry list included: Bill Snowden, 15; Curtis Turner, 41; Otis Martin, 92; Johnny Grubb, 28J; Jim Cook, 3; Pap White, 4; Bill Blair, 2, Buck Baker, 3; Pee Wee Martin, 19; Leon Sales, 30; Bernie Sales, 60; Bruce Thompson, 0; Alfred Thompson, 1; Charles Allison, 22; and Shorty York, 39. NASCAR Hall of Famer Curtis Turner won the first main event at the Iredell Speedway before a crowd of several thousand.

Other racers to compete at the track over the next few months included Ed Samples, the 1946 national champion; Marshal Teague, Billy Carden, Buddy Shuman and Jimmy and Speedy Thompson. Turner returned to victory lane, winning $500 on June 13, 1948, beating Glenn Dunaway before a crowd of 5,000 in the 22-mile main event. Three cars hurled over the bank at the north turn, but no drivers were injured. The Iredell-Star Motorcycle Club sponsored an AMA (American Motorcycle Association) race at the speedway on June 27, 1948. Alex Sing beat little Joe Weatherly by a nose. General admission to the event was $1.50 and grandstand seating was .75 cents.

On Oct. 24, 1948, the Statesville Record featured an ad from the Iredell Speedway proclaiming, For the First Time in North Carolina: Hot Rod Auto Races. The ad featured a photo of Hot Rod racer Glenn Weaver of Bristol, Tenn., and explained, A souped-up, stripped down stock car is the definition of a Hot Rod. These little cars which are claimed to be much faster than a stock car have been clocked in California, where Hot Rod racing began, at speeds up to 150 miles per hour. On April 18, 1949, a 100-lap stock car event sanctioned by the Interstates Racing Association was held at the track. The race featured brothers Al and Jimmy Thompson, sons of former racer Bruce Thompson of Monroe.

So what happened to the Iredell Speedway and its fans? Jimmy Alley of Troutman remembers getting grounded by his mom and dad for running the family car on the speedway and dragging the sideboards in the dirt. He also remembers the local dairy farmers in the area near the track complaining that the noise and traffic from the races was bothering the local herds.

Apparently a lot of the trouble came from the fact that the races were held on Sundays. State Sen. C.H. Dearman purposed Senate Bill 193 prohibiting racing in Iredell County on Sundays. In 1949, Chapter 374 (S.B. 193), An Act to make it Unlawful to Operate or Conduct Motor Vehicle Races in Iredell County on Sundays was passed. Section 1 of the law read, That it shall be unlawful for any person, firm or corporation, on the Sabbath Day, generally known as the Lords Day, to operate or be in any manner interested in or participate in the operation of any race track or other places at which the racing of motor vehicles, including racing cars, stock cars, motorcycles, or other types of motor vehicles, is carried on in Iredell County.

The new law shut down the Iredell Speedway for good. The Dec. 19, 1949, issue of the Landmark noted that the Iredell Speedways Certificate of Incorporation had been suspended by the state due to failure to file certain reports and payment of franchise taxes. J.H. Church, who had operated the speedway, turned the track into a fishing lake covering more than three acres. A photo in the Statesville Daily Record on Jan. 12, 1950, showed Church and Clarence Estes with a 13-pound carp at Churchs Lake. The location today would be on Church Lake Road between Highway 21 and Old Mocksville Road.

Could the Iredell Speedway have one day become a NASCAR track? Consider this. The North Wilkesboro Speedway opened May 18, 1947, less than a year before the Iredell track opened. The Hickory Speedway opened in 1951. The Charlotte Motor Speedway was not built until 1959.

Can racing ever be brought back to Iredell County? Perhaps. I hear Kyle Busch already made the inaugural first lap on Perth Road outside Mooresville and put down a speed of 128 mph. Not on a Sunday, of course.

Joel Reese is the local history librarian at the Iredell County Public Library.

---------------

Edit: Found a good aerial photo from Oct. 21, 1949 -

updated by @robert-mitchell: 12/05/16 04:08:38PM
Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
12 years ago
327 posts

Pre and post race articles for an April 4, 1948 stock carrace -

Results for a June 13, 1948 stock car race -

Results for a June 27, 1948 motorcycle race -

Ad for an April 18, 1949 (Easter Monday) stock car race -

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Robert, the articles in your collection are just outstanding.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
12 years ago
327 posts

Thanks, Dave! I love digging these old articles up.

Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
12 years ago
327 posts

With helpfrom the article Dave posted I took a little time on Google Earth to see if I could find the old Iredell Speedway footprint. I think I may have found it but I'd like to hear what the ol' pro Bobby Williamson thinks, or any of you Ghost Track hunters.

The article states - " The location today would be on Church Lake Road between Highway 21 and Old Mocksville Road." and - " J.H. Church, who had operated the speedway, turned the track into a fishing lake covering more than three acres."

Here is what looks like a paperclip oval race track of approximately half a mile in length. It's also apparent it hasbeen under water, and still has a small pool outside the south curve. If this is the old Iredell Speedway, it's footprint was probably well preserved because it spent much time under water or maybeused as an irregation pond for the crop fields over the years. The old Church Lake is dry now. Looks like a crop field.

What do you think?

From 2009 -

From 2005 -

From1993 -

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

What a wonderful sequence of photos.

--
Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
12 years ago
327 posts

Google Earth is amazing.I see the cut-a-cross about two thirds up but not the figure-eight. It's possible, although no mention of that in the articles. If this is the track, it blows my mind that it was only used for two years but can still be seen 64 years later! And to think of all the greats that raced there...makes me want to go see it in person.

Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
12 years ago
327 posts

Maybe if I explained I was from Racers Reunion! Then againthat might be grounds for additional charges.

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
12 years ago
907 posts

Robert, I think you've found it! Great Work!! I found a 1995 topo map of the site, and it shows it as a lake. Actually it looks like it may not have been a 'continuous' lake but may be been divided into segments, thus creating the appearance of a possible figure 8 race track. Again congratulations on a great job of ghost-track-hunting.

Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
12 years ago
327 posts

Thanks, Bobby! My first ghost track find. I was hoping you could help confirm it, and the topographic map of the lake is great evidence. I'll have to add the topo maps to my next search. You're the man when it comes to finding these ghost tracks, but it's great fun trying to find them for myself. Thanks for doing what you do.

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
12 years ago
907 posts

Robert, check this out http://msrmaps.com/ this site provides aerial and topo's. In some cases, old race tracks are indicated, sometimes even labeled! I use it in conjunction w/google earth as MSR does not identify roads, streets, or highways.

Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
11 years ago
327 posts

Here is a very rare photo of the April 4, 1948 race at Iredell Speedway showing #19 Pee Wee Martin, #28J Johnny Grubb, and #41 Curtis Turner coming down the front stretch. Turner was the winner. You can see the hairpin shape of the track and cut across road through the infield that appears in the modern aerial photos -

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Great photo. What's the source?

--
Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
11 years ago
327 posts

It's a photo I tookof a photo from a local private collection. I may get in trouble for posting it but I just couldn't resist. It's the only Iredell Speedway photo I've ever seen. I'll gladly remove it if I'm called out.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

It's amazing what you've tracked down.

--
Kyle Peckham
@kyle-peckham
11 years ago
1 posts

Hey guys, I live about 15 miles from the property and have been trying to find a time to explore it but haven't had any luck. I'll be checking out the Statesville Library and am going to talk to the town's commissioner (he is a family friend) and maybe he can help me get in contact with the owners of the property.

Anyway, I noticed that we only had aerials of the property and the one amazing period photograph from the private collection. I was looking at the property using some results from a US Geologic Survey of the area on Google Earth in 3D. It gives you an idea of how low the infield was and the elevation of the property. The video is lower quality due to no screen-capture available, but I hope it's sufficient if anyone wants to see what the terrain would be like if we were there today.

Note the swath cut out of Turns 1 and 2 - that's one of the smaller connecting channels from the track's days as the Church Lake fish pond.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Nice work, Kyle. I'm sure everyone here will look forward to the report of your visit if you're able to arrange it.

--
Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
11 years ago
327 posts

Hey Kyle, glad to see you here! Nice job on the Google Earth video. I noticed at about :50 mark you paused at the apparent spot that the old photo was taken. I don't know if you meant to do that, but it was cool to see. It made me go look at Google Earth and see if I could get a comparison screen shot of the photo. I think it's close -

Field of view of the photo -

Screen shot wide with photo field of view -

Photo field of view cut out -

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
11 years ago
907 posts

Great job, Kyle, thanks for sharing!