Open Letter to Why We No Longer Love Bristol

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
8 years ago
3,259 posts

I found this and thought it was true to form and wanted to share it here with everyone who reads my ramblings - ENJOY

Dear Bristol Motor Speedway,

Before the race Sunday I was excited. Excited for the chance to see a glimpse of the old Bristol I grew up enjoying. Excited to see cars bumping, banging, and punting cars left and right. Lastly, I was excited to revisit NASCAR history. Unfortunately for me and many other fans I would watch the 500-lap race in disappointment. Yet another Bristol race passed us by, and it is clear to see that fans aren't happy. Just look up at the stands, as nearly half the seats weren't filled for what use to be one of the most popular events on the NASCAR schedule. Fans don't enjoy this 'new' Bristol as many of your executives would like to call it. We don't enjoy the rim riding... we don't care to see a race where no one can pass unless lapped traffic gets in the way. If you don't understand yet... us fans DON'T LIKE BRISTOL ANYMORE.

The point is, is that Bristol used to be one of the most exciting weekends of the year. Fans knew there would be plenty of hot temperatures and hot tempers! Bump and run was every drivers middle name, and the low line was where you found speed. Drivers like Darrell Waltrip, Dale Earnhardt, Rusty Wallace, and Jeff Gordon became legends by dominating the 'World's Fastest Half Mile'. Bristol used to give us a glimpse into the past, when our sport was founded on local short tracks. Bristol used to be a hot ticket event... the key words are USED TO BE.

See when the track owner and designers decided they wanted to speak for the fans and make changes to an already great race track, they made a mistake. They broke a cardinal rule, 'if it ain't broke... don't fix it.' Designers decided they wanted a high line for racing... again THEY decided that, not the fans. Fans were happy with the racing and the show NASCAR could put on, but now it's a joke.

In case any Bristol exec. were to see this post, just know that you have ruined the track once loved by fans from around the world. You have destroyed one of the best tracks NASCAR has ever ran at. This 'new' Bristol is okay, but the old Bristol was great. Simply put, you tried to fix something that didn't need fixing to begin with. You killed part of NASCAR's history. We want the old Bristol back.

Sincerely, NASCAR FANS.

P.S. "This Isn't Bristol Baby."

Thanks for reading!!! Tried my best to speak on how I was feeling! Let me know how you feel about the new Bristol & be sure to follow me on Twitter at @nascar_opinion! Also, follow me on Instagram at NASCAR OPINION!! Hope you have a great day!

From Sports Blog by;

William Richard

updated by @johnny-mallonee: 12/05/16 04:08:38PM
Blane Moon
@blane-moon
8 years ago
113 posts

Put the asphalt down, cut the spoilers off, no pitting under yellow......and have at it boys! NASCAR wants the tv $$$. They do not give a s##% about the fans.

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
8 years ago
907 posts

Yep, NA$CAR is all about money, but with no fans are in the stands and the ever-shrinking TV ratings money's going to dry up too. We all know the only way to make a small fortune in racing, is to start with a big one! There's a LOT of blame to go around here...NASCAR's downward spiral has been on-going for yeas....it is now epidemic and undeniable. Some things, in this world, should not be 'improved'.... NEW Coke, old NASCAR, and Bristol are a few examples.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
8 years ago
9,137 posts

Concrete is for sidewalks.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
8 years ago
3,119 posts

I totally agree with that statement Dave!!!

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
8 years ago
3,259 posts

Should be only two surfaces for racing -- BlackAsphalt or Red Dirt. Me I favor the red dirt . Its more fun and the crowd loves it and if its done right no dust. The tracks in N,Ga have the formula to dust control...