Super Dirt Week Moves to Oswego

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
8 years ago
907 posts

We touched on this topic on the Goat Rodeo.......seems the state of New York never came through with the promised $5-MIL to Glen Donnelly and his new Central New York Raceway Park. Governor Cumo announced the annual event will now take place on a dirt-converted Oswego Raceway this October.

http://goo.gl/Z1fLQt

updated by @bobby-williamson: 12/05/16 04:09:31PM
Jack Walker
@jack-walker
8 years ago
162 posts

There has to be a whole lot more to this story !!!!

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
8 years ago
9,137 posts

Donnelly wasn't paying his contractor. Per yesterday's Syracuse newspaper:

Lan-Co Cos., the North Syracuse contractor building the facility, pulled off the job several weeks ago because Donnelly owes it $1.2 million.

Donnelly may have let his mouth and promises overrun his ability to deliver.

Then again, Governor Cuomo has banned any New York public schools, colleges or universities from competing in North Carolina because we don't want men dressed like women using women's rest rooms in our state. If there are any North Carolina based dirt teams that would plan to compete at Oswego, I hope they don't and shove it back up Cuomo's ying-yang.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
8 years ago
907 posts

From "Speed Sport" ........"

Following the demolition of the New York State Fairgrounds Moody Mile, which had been the home of NAPA Super DIRT Week since its inception, an agreement was struck between DIRTcar Racing and the State of New York to keep the annual event in New York for the next 10 years. As part of the agreement, Super DIRT Week was committed to the Central New York Raceway Park under the condition that the facility be fully completed. Committed to keeping the event in New York, the state agreed to assist in moving the event to Oswego if needed and is putting that plan in action in recognition of the importance of motorsport to the State of New York.

While we are disappointed CNYRP will not yet be ready for 2016, we understand the challenges of building a new facility, Carter said. Glenn Donnellys vision for CNYRP will be an incredible addition to the racing landscape in Central New York when complete.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
8 years ago
9,137 posts

I would like to see ALL racers BOYCOTT New York Governor Cuomo's DIRT Week activities in the Empire State until he lifts the ban on New York teams competing in North Carolina and stops running his negative New York state funded television recruitment ads in North Carolina. Why would we want to give those people our money when they are trying to take ours?

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/new-york-ad-attempts-to-lure-north...

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
8 years ago
9,137 posts

And maybe while we're at it, we could have all of the North Carolina based NASCAR Cup teams skip the Watkins Glen August event and see how Governor Cuomo and his New York State lackies like that. Guess he could fill the field with DIRT cars and get one of those NASCAR E.I.R.I. special Talledega-like exceptions.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
8 years ago
9,137 posts

The really ironic thing here is that while New York governor Cuomo has been spewing his vitriol against North Carolina and banning travel by New York employees to North Carolina, he has jumped in bed with DIRT, which last time I checked was a subsidiary of World Racing Group, firmly headquartered in the Tar Heel state in Concord, NC in the shadows of Charlotte Motor Speedway. How does the New York guv explain that?

--
Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
8 years ago
907 posts

You right as rain, Dave! WRG's headquarters is Charlotte. NC. We interviewed Mr. Donnelly last fall on the Goat Rodeo program. Everything was rosy at that time....he even mentioned a trial run for the new facility around Memorial Day 2016. The fuzzy part, at least to me, is the "clause" requiring completion of the new speedway BEFORE bestowing the $5-Million grant I'm sure Mr. Donnelly was counting of the NY state funds to complete the facility. Also, human nature being what it is, and Super Dirt Week being the plum that it is.........I'd speculate a rival offer from the new host track was made to the governor's office. I wonder if the state of NY will "fund" the dirt-conversion of Oswego?

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
8 years ago
9,137 posts

The old axiom has never been truer - "Politics makes strange bed fellows."

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
8 years ago
4,073 posts

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
8 years ago
9,137 posts

Hey, we have a real honest to goodness discussion going again here at RR! Does that mean that after all these years of dealing with NASCAR we have developed a nose for corruptipn?

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
8 years ago
9,137 posts

--
Dave Wager
@dave-wager
8 years ago
25 posts

The Cuomo's, past and present, are one of the reason's that I no longer live in N.Y. That, along with the stench of rotten politics coming from Albany.

Now North Carolina has it's share of corruption and is far from perfect, but we do insist you use the public rest rooms that God assigned to you.

As far as those here in N.C. that persist in violating this simple direction from God, the rest of us are going to round up all the cheap wig, lipstick smeared, red hooker heels clad individuals, put them on a one way, rainbow colored express bus to the capital building steps in Albany and let Cuomo's teenage daughter share a stall with them.

Be careful who you pick your fights with there Stumpy, cause The Tar Heel State is way over your head.