Summerville Speedway

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

One of the tracks I always wanted to get to and never did was Summerville (SC) Speedway. The accounts of the weekly racing action there as reported in the weekly racing papers always sounded exceptionally exciting. I'm sure with so many South Carolinians on this site, many of you had that opportunity and I envy you. I happened on this 2005 reprint from the Charleston, SC paper thatfascinated me, not so much because it was about Summerville, but because it sounded so much like the experiences we are all having as the weekly hometown tracks of ouryouth continue to disappear across the country. Thought you folks might enjoy it:

SUNDAY, JULY 17, 2005 12:00 AM

Asphalt, concrete and memories loaded up and carried away

BY DAVID CARAVIELLO
Of The Post and Courier Staff

SUMMERVILLE--The grandstands have been demolished or relocated, the asphalt surface has been broken up and removed, the buildings have been reduced to jagged piles of metal and concrete. All that remains of Summerville Speedway are earthen mounds where the banked corners once were, and a scoreboard looming over what used to be the second turn.
Soon they'll be gone as well, part of the process of turning the former racetrack into a suburban housing development. The place where Lowcountry drivers visited victory lane every Saturday night for 39 years, which ran under a NASCAR sanction for two decades and once attracted greats like Dale Earnhardt and Davey Allison for exhibition events, is now a demolition zone.

On a recent afternoon, a backhoe scooped up debris from what used to be the track's infield and dumped it into a nearby container. Trucks bumped over a rocky path between this construction site and an adjacent one across Central Avenue. Everywhere there were piles of debris -- smashed cinder block, fencing and other things too mangled to identify. The only engines heard now are those powering construction equipment.

James Island driver Raef Judd, who won the track's final Late Model championship last October, recently received an e-mail containing a photo of the demolished speedway where he and his father each competed for so many years.

"To be completely honest with you, it nauseated me," he said. "I didn't go and cover my head and cry or anything, but I did sit on the bed and reflect back to when I was 6 or 7 years old, watching my daddy race there and winning the championship and what a great thing that was. It's all gone now. It's sickening."

Charlie Powell has a hard time seeing it, too. The track's former operator sold the land to the Landcraft development company, closing a once-flourishing speedway that in recent years had struggled to draw fans and drivers, and couldn't compete with newer, publicly funded sports facilities in the Charleston area.

Before demolition began in early May, Powell moved some items such as newer grandstand seats, lights, and the public address system to another track he runs in Florence. One time when he and his wife Zonda visited the site, all that remained was the three-story scoring tower, its windows broken by vandals. He hasn't been back in about two weeks.

"I've stayed away from it a good bit," he said. "I was there for probably three weeks taking things down with some help. After I did that, I decided I needed to be away. I'd had about all I could handle, physically and mentally."

More than just a racetrack has been lost with Summerville Speedway's demolition. The facility's car count had gradually declined, as racers at even the lowest levels struggled to keep up with the escalating costs of the sport. With Summerville gone, Judd and a handful of other locals drive up to Florence to race. One or two others now compete at tracks in Hardeeville or Myrtle Beach.

The rest? "I guess they just quit," Powell said. "The economy has gotten so tight for stock-car racing, and the thrill of it seems to have gone away from when I raced. It seemed like guys were right on the fence and could go either way. You're going to stay on the fence until the wind comes and blows you off."

Powell shifted his Florence program from Saturday nights to Fridays, in hopes of attracting drivers who once raced at Summerville. So far, that hasn't happened. Powell estimates that about 15 percent of his old Summerville drivers have shown up in Florence, most of those in the lower classes.

"The guys who ran 4-cylinders and some of those other divisions (at Summerville), I see them at Florence every now and again," Judd said. "There are still a handful of guys racing. But I think the lion's share must have thrown their hands up. I haven't seen them around."

Brick by brick, driver by driver, the four-decade legacy that was Summerville Speedway is already fading away.

Residential homes -- could they at least call the development Speedway Acres? -- will occupy the spots where local drivers like Robert Powell and Jerry Williams won NASCAR weekly division titles, where stars like Rusty Wallace and Kyle Petty signed autographs, where family traditions were passed on with grease-stained hands.

One thing will survive. The asphalt that once coated the .4-mile speedway will be recycled. Some day, some place, tires will roll over a little piece of the old track once again.

"Somebody is going to get to ride on Summerville Speedway," Powell said excitedly. "I thought about that the other day. If people knew where that came from, they'd think, 'Boy, that used to be fast right there.'"

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 12/05/16 04:09:31PM
S.T.A.R.S. Radio
@stars-radio
13 years ago
514 posts

As someone who had the experience of racing there on dirt and asphalt this track was truly an AWESOME facility. A lot of great driver came through that place. It was a shame that it was destroyed.

I have some pics I will load later of this track. Under the STARS Page there are a few of a couple race cars that we raced there. The #6 Chick' Fi la car is one.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

I remember the look of horror on my mom's face when the price of bread at our local Richmond Safeway jumped from 18 cents to 21 cents. We probably drowned our sorrow in a 5 cent Coke!

--
Lee Ackerman2
@lee-ackerman2
10 years ago
4 posts

So who would be the expert on the history of the Summerville Speedway? thanks

Lee Ackerman

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

I saw many a race on the Summerville track, both dirt and asphalt. I couldn't believe the news when I heard it was closing. Sad day for a great track.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Lee Ackerman2
@lee-ackerman2
10 years ago
4 posts

Tim. Does anybody have a general history of Summerville Speedway. Years it ran, changes of ownership, changes to the track, highlights etc. Thanks

Lee

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
10 years ago
907 posts

Sadly, the Charleston, SC area, once a hot-bed of racing, has gone totally dormant, DOA, with the closing of Summerville Speedway. With the exception of Myrtle Beach, there's not a race track in coastal South Carolina. Summerville, the sole survivor, and last in a long line of low-country tracks, faced the same impossible real estate scenario as many other coastal locations: the speedway property was worth much more as ahaven forcondo-cammandos than a race track. One thing is certain, in all of this, no race tracks, no racing. Works every time. It a'int rocket science.

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

Lee, I'm very sorry that I don't have a history of the speedway. I went there the first time in the late 70s and the last time I was there was probably 1995 or so. Many races in between. Not sure of the owners but in the 90s I think it was a Powell, but not sure of that. I wasn't much into who owned and operated the tracks back then, just followed friends of mine racing.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
10 years ago
907 posts

Charlie Powell was the last owner of Summerville. After selling the speedway, Powell has focused on his track at Timmonsville, SC.

Jack Walker
@jack-walker
10 years ago
162 posts

Summerville Speedway opened up on August 26th, 1965. It wasfirst namedDorchester County Speedway, and ran 2 nights a week (Thursday , and Saturday). The trackwhen opened was a 3/8 mile clay track.

Lee Ackerman2
@lee-ackerman2
10 years ago
4 posts

Good info Thanks Jack

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
10 years ago
907 posts

Summerville Speedway Jan. 2005.

David Elrod
@david-elrod
10 years ago
12 posts
Bobby you are right.Sadly there is no where in the Charleston area to go to a race anymore. Summerville was finally sold because attendance and car count became so poor. I think the beginning of the end for Summerville was when they paved it. It ran for several more years. However with each passing year attendance fell off. Most people think that the reason Charlie Powell paved it was to improve the track. But the real reason was the water source dried up. You can see remnants of the old pond in Bobby's picture. Charlie tried tapping into one of the local fire hydrants. I guess the local government kinda frowned on that idea. So he paved it. Now we have nothing. By the way Clyde Hill owned the track before Charlie purchased it. Hope that helps with some of the history.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

That's a very interesting insight, David, that loss of a water source to wet the track led to the paving of Summerville.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Chevelles of Charlie Powell and Bubba Into on the front row at Summerville in this 1974 ad posted previously here at Stock Car RacersReunion by S. Huggins of Columbia.

--
Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
10 years ago
907 posts

There's exceptions, but the paving of long-time dirt tracks is tricky business. NASCAR/RJR had a grand vision of making all the Saturday night tracks a mirror image of the big leagues. It worked, some, but failed some too. Big time. A culture that had been 'raised on dirt' did not necessarily embrace asphalt. Momentum was lost, interest was lost, and a generation of fans was, and still is, lost. Dirt and ashpalt racing is two different entities, and appeals to different tastes. NASCAR/RJR tired to force the issue in the Carolina's.........and, now, the industry's a shadow of its former self.

David Elrod
@david-elrod
10 years ago
12 posts
Bobby you hit the nail on the head with that last statement. I have had so many people tell me that they lost interest in going to Summerville when it was paved. When we were initially told that we would be racing on pavement it was pretty exciting. However, once the season started we quickly realized that it was quite an expense racing on asphalt. With switching over and learning what worked and what didn't. It just turned out to be just not as much fun.
Lee Ackerman2
@lee-ackerman2
10 years ago
4 posts

These have been some really interesting comments. Who would have guessed that one of the reasons for the demise of a track was the lack of a water supply. Out here in Nebraska we are blessed with a huge underground water supply and its easy to tap into. In some parts of the country thats not the case.

Bill Craig
@bill-craig
9 years ago
1 posts

I think the original owner was named HIll. I think he ownded the track until the early dseventies when Charlie bought it from him.

Some interesting facts:

Tiny Lund won his last race the Wednesday night before he was killed in Talledega. It was called the TriState 200 then. Charlie rename it the Tiny Lund Memorial the following year.

When the Southern 500 in Darlington came to town, Charlie regularly had Winston Cup drivers in for fun races using local cars. It was a great chance to meet Cup drivers up close.

In the mid seventies, in a protest of allowing the first tube chassis car to race at Summerville, Billy Manor, refused to race the feature against what he termed "an illegal supermodified". Soon after, he formed a drivers union and reopened the old Charleston Speedway. It never drew fans and soon closed. (Just for history sake, Frank Graham, coming from the back of the field, outran the car BIlly so despised) 2 years later, Billy was among the horde of drivers runing tube cars.

Arguably the best driver to turn laps on the red clay was Al Bailey. He drove all levels of cars at the track, but was particulary known for two, the red #16 Cougar owned by Nathan Leggett, and the yellow Barry Wright #16 owned by H.M Grooms. Al was just about unbeatable in both.

During it's heyday, Summervile ran three classes with full fields: Hobby, Limited Sportsman, and Late Model.

Some drivers of note: Connelly Bryant(sp), Billy Manor, Jimmy Manor, Frank Graham, Charlie Powell, Mutt Powell, Jack Dunbar, Billy Judd, Hop Holmes, Bubba Into, Arnold Hutto, Reggie Strickland, Frank Mizzel, Barry Lewis, Marion Cox, Raymond Cox Al Bailey, Michael Leggett, J.B Burbage, Gary Martin, Robert Powell, Charles Powell III, Robert Elliott, David Into....

I see David Elrod has commented. His dad flagged the track forever before Jack Fulton took over. He has as much info available as anyone...

Hope this helps....

David Elrod
@david-elrod
9 years ago
12 posts
Bill that was not my dad that flagged.That was my uncle Harold. He also flagged at New Columbia Speedway. I'm not sure but I think he also flagged at Charleston Speedway.
No37_1973
@no37-1973
6 years ago
1 posts

I remember the track well in the early 70's.  A good portion of my childhood was in the infield helping Jack Jackson, Pauline Jackson and James Dew on their cars.  I remember most of the drivers mentioned here.  Robert Powell, Al Bailey, Marion Cox and Walt Knox. And does anyone remember Hugh Kirby?  I never will forget when Jack Jackson broke a front hub in the limited division and we couldn't go on. Good ole Hugh usually ran last and asked Jack to run his car for him, a 55 Chevrolet, and see what it needed.  Jack was right behind Marion Cox in the Main Event in second place and the A-frame broke.  There were no guard rails on the backstretch back then and off in to the woods he went.  Jack was okay, but when they pulled the car out it looked like a VW.  Hugh wasn't even upset.  He was so happy seeing it up front.  Jack found him another 55 within a couple weeks and took it to him to replace the car.  Great people and fantastic times back then.  1971 thru 1973.  I was a military brat and unfortunately my Dad got orders and off I went.  I often wonder what would have happened if I would have stayed there.  I have driven a couple practices laps there as my going away present from Jack.  13 years old with pillows behind and under me.  Scared to death but fun!!!