Racing History Minute - March 23, 1969

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

One of the first statements catching my attention for today's History Minute was the fact that the Bristol International Speedway had a seat capacity of only 28,000 people in 1969. Compared to today's capacity, that is incredulous, but in 1969 all 28,000 seats were occupied as the "Southeastern 500" was contested.
Bobby Isaac qualified the K&K Insurance Dodge on the pole with a speed of 88.669 mph. David Pearson, in a Holman-Moody Ford would start second, Cale Yarborough in the Wood Brothers Mercury third, Bobby Allison in Mario Rossi's Dodge fourth and Buddy Baker in the Ray Fox Dodge fifth.

The green flag waved and Bobby Isaac rocketed away from the field to lead the first 142 laps before yielding to Bobby Allison on a pit stop. Allison led until lap 148 when he hit the pits for service. David Pearson took over at that time but on lap 173 the red Dodge of Isaac went by Pearson in a blur and started moving away. Isaac made a scheduled pit stop of lap 272 and Pearson got another lap out front before Isaac was back to the point but for only one lap. David slipped by and had the Ford out front until lap 421 of the 500 scheduled distance.

It was Isaac again on lap 422 and was pulling away, obviously headed for Victory Lane when, on lap 448, the radiator hose came off causing the engine to blow. As the number 71 was pushed to the garage, the dejected Isaac jumped the guard rail and was last seen heading into the parking lot outside the track.

With Isaac's departure, the door was opened for Pearson to win as he had the second most stout car in the field as he was leading second place Bobby Allison by two laps with 52 laps to run. With 15 laps remaining, smoke began to trail the Ford of Pearson and he headed to the pits. Dick Hutcherson, crew chief for Pearson, raised the hood and immediately closed it and motioned David back onto the track. Although significantly slower, Pearson was able to hold the lead as Allison was hustling the Mario Rossi Dodge around Bristol in a valiant attempt to catch him. Allison caught Pearson and passed him for the lead with 7 laps to go. With 5 to go, the Holman-Moody Ford simply quit. It was over for Pearson.

Bobby Allison averaged 81.455 mph with the win, although slowed by caution for 32 laps as the yellow waved 4 times. It was Allison's second win in the 9 races in the 1969 season and it was the first win from car owner, Mario Rossi, in the Grand National series.

In a post race interview, Allison said, referencing the troubles of Isaac and Pearson, "it happens all the time. I figure I've lost more than I've won this way".

Finishing order:

1. Bobby Allison, Mario Rossi Dodge, $5,025.00

2. LeeRoy Yarborough, Junior Johnson Ford, $3,000.00 (4 laps down)

3. David Pearson, Holman-Moody Ford, $2,400.00 (5 laps down behind the wall)

4. Cale Yarborough, Wood Brothers Mercury, $1.,275.00 (6 laps down)

5. Donnie Allison, Banjo Matthews Ford, $800.00 (9 laps down)

6. Dave Marcis

7. Richard Petty

8. Elmo Langley

9. Friday Hassler

10. Neil Castles

11.Bobby Johns

12.Jabe Thomas

13. James Hylton

14. Bobby Isaac

15. E. J. Trivette

16. Henley Gray

17. Wendell Scott

18. Dick Johnson

19.Charlie Glotzbach

20.Bill Champion

21. Earl Brooks

22. Bill Seifert

23. John Sears

24. Frank Warren

25. Cecil Gordon

26. Buddy Arrington

27. Wayne Smith

28. G. C. Spencer

29.Buddy Baker

30.J. D. McDuffie

Honor the past, embrace the present, dream for the future.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

Race program from Motor Racing Programme Covers

Chargin' Charlie Glotzbach pulls Bobby Isaac around the corners

Bobby gets around his brother Donnie in Banjo Matthews' car.

Race report from News and Courier

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 03/22/17 10:17:32PM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
8 years ago
4,073 posts

QB for the Baltimore Colts (and later the Miami Dolphins) Earl Morrall was the honorary starter for the race.

(Probably a better version pic out there, but I haven't found one yet.)

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
8 years ago
9,137 posts

Larry carrier must have been hooked on Baltimore. Johnny u was grand marshal for the same race two years earlier in 1967.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

Bump

--