1981 Late Model Sportsman Records

Thomas K. Craig
@thomas-k-craig
15 years ago
53 posts
I know some time ago RR was discussing about trying to retrieve the records to the Late Sportsman division that Nascar for some reason cant locate. I have a 1982 Nascar Official Record Book and Press Guide and have the National Standings for LMS. Along with the North Carolina, Virginia, and Tennessee State Standings. And also track standings as the local tracks had points championships for the LMS also. I have attached files that has this information along with a record of the past champions of the division. Hope this can lead us in the right direction of trying to preserve some of this information.This file attached includes 1981 Championship Standings and Events and Race Winners.In next couple of days will post the 1981 State Standings and Past Champions.
updated by @thomas-k-craig: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Thomas K. Craig
@thomas-k-craig
15 years ago
53 posts
I have plenty more to add to it Robbie. Probably will get to it tomorrow or Monday.
Paul Zappardino
@paul-zappardino
15 years ago
40 posts
Good job Thomas! I can't believe the small number of Natioanal championship events, Just proves our point, NASCAR let LMS go
Thomas K. Craig
@thomas-k-craig
15 years ago
53 posts
Got some more good news. Its very well possible I will know some info for 1974 and 1976 LMS seasons. Keep your fingers crossed. Im on the job to recover as much info as I can. Paul, I knew there were state championships that LMS had and track titles also but when I saw those records I felt what an amazing racing series. I have all that info for 1981 LMS season (final point standings) for state and local championships that I will post in a couple of days.
Thomas K. Craig
@thomas-k-craig
15 years ago
53 posts
Hey Paul did you scroll on down to the next page there was 2 pages of info? The series had about 25-27 races that year. Didnt want you to think it only had about 15.
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
15 years ago
1,783 posts
This is awesome, Kyle! Thanks!

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Thomas K. Craig
@thomas-k-craig
15 years ago
53 posts
The final point standings and race results are now posted on that page on the wall. I will post state point standings and track standings today. Also will be posting all the point champions from this series beginning.
Thomas K. Craig
@thomas-k-craig
15 years ago
53 posts
I have books that has this info. Books that have been out of print for many many years.
Paul Zappardino
@paul-zappardino
15 years ago
40 posts
in the media guides there are track and state championships listed, individual results from National championship events would be neat BUT that is a tall order Thomas K. Craig said:
Got some more good news. Its very well possible I will know some info for 1974 and 1976 LMS seasons. Keep your fingers crossed. Im on the job to recover as much info as I can. Paul, I knew there were state championships that LMS had and track titles also but when I saw those records I felt what an amazing racing series. I have all that info for 1981 LMS season (final point standings) for state and local championships that I will post in a couple of days.
Paul Zappardino
@paul-zappardino
15 years ago
40 posts
There is a lot of info from appalachai State University they have a stock car record department, HOW NEAT IS THAT? Jeff knows about i gave him the information, I think it was Perry Allen wood gave me the contact info Robbie Solesbee said:
Where are you finding this? And I had this thought. Someone sent me some photocopied pages of a NASCAR newsletter from the 1950's. It had the points standings and results from NASCAR sanctioned tracks. If anybody has any of these they would be great finds and are a record of information being sought to help alog with this project.
Thomas K. Craig
@thomas-k-craig
15 years ago
53 posts
You aint kidding Paul. That would be a tall order to get every individual race run down. I guess we will have to be happy with what we find. And that is neat, that App. State has that. I had no idea. Maybe they will have some info. I think we are defintely headed in the right direction. Dont you have some of those record books, Paul? I have 1975, 1976, 1977, and 1982.
Paul Zappardino
@paul-zappardino
15 years ago
40 posts
I just checked down my shop and I have 1978,1979,1980, and 1981! From what i know Jeff has been in touch with Appalachia State about this. Maybe I can photocopy the information and then fax it to Jeff? I think we have some pretty good coverage from 75-82 between you and I, I will be in touch Thomas. Thomas K. Craig said:
You aint kidding Paul. That would be a tall order to get every individual race run down. I guess we will have to be happy with what we find. And that is neat, that App. State has that. I had no idea. Maybe they will have some info. I think we are defintely headed in the right direction. Dont you have some of those record books, Paul? I have 1975, 1976, 1977, and 1982.
Thomas K. Craig
@thomas-k-craig
15 years ago
53 posts
Now if that aint perfect Paul I dont know what is. You have the ones I dont have and vice versa. Well now we have info from 1974-1981. It will undoubtable be more difficult as we go along. But holding out hope from what comes from Appalachian State. I asked Jeff if he would put up a page for the Modified records also. Since they are covered in those record books we have also. Im sure Nascar has lost those records also. Only sports organization in the world that gets rids of its records. Thats Nascar for you.
Paul Zappardino
@paul-zappardino
15 years ago
40 posts
That is why I call them "ASSCAR" Thomas!!!!! Thomas K. Craig said:
Now if that aint perfect Paul I dont know what is. You have the ones I dont have and vice versa. Well now we have info from 1974-1981. It will undoubtable be more difficult as we go along. But holding out hope from what comes from Appalachian State. I asked Jeff if he would put up a page for the Modified records also. Since they are covered in those record books we have also. Im sure Nascar has lost those records also. Only sports organization in the world that gets rids of its records. Thats Nascar for you.
Paul Zappardino
@paul-zappardino
15 years ago
40 posts
Yea! But wouldn't it be neat Thomas? Paul Zappardino said:
I just checked down my shop and I have 1978,1979,1980, and 1981! From what i know Jeff has been in touch with Appalachia State about this. Maybe I can photocopy the information and then fax it to Jeff? I think we have some pretty good coverage from 75-82 between you and I, I will be in touch Thomas.

Thomas K. Craig said:
Kevin Andrews
@kevin-andrews
15 years ago
12 posts
I have have sent Jeff a PDF of the final standings in 1972. It is in the Nascar awards banquet booklet. Lists all the champs in all divisions that year. I will see if I can find it now.
Brad Doerr
@brad-doerr
4 years ago
7 posts

Sorry for the bump of what appears to be one of the oldest threads on the forum.  But there are references to attached files in some of the posts.  I see that I have the ability to attach a file to a file to my post.  But I don't see the attached files on the posts that reference them.  Have those files disappeared as come of the posts seem to have?  Or am I just missing how to download the attachments?  If the attachments have been stripped, does anyone that is still around here still have them that may be willing to send them to me?