I Visited the International Motorsports Hall of Fame Today....

Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
12 years ago
589 posts

Yup, just one day after Jack Walker visited me at our museum (Georgia Racing Hall of Fame), I headed over to Talladega, first to take the track tour (That's one big son-uv-a-gun!) then we spent about 2 1/2 or so hours at the museum. I very much enjoyed it. The friend I was with said that they didn't have as much old cars from than they did from 5 years ago. They had 1 40' Merc race car, a 41 Ford Street Rod, and a 48 Plymouth show car. But other than that, I loved every minute of it. It was very well laid out, and we only saw maybe one other person, so we had the place to ourselves!!!! I've only been home a few hours, but I'm ready to go back!

Since I took over 100 pictures......I'll just post pictures of my favorite cars/exhibits....unless someone wants to see more.

Enjoy my somewhat fuzzy pictures!

-Cody

This was also one of the last Magnum's driven by Richard Petty before switching to GM. According to the sign, in mid 78', it was sold by PE to Winston, where they made it a show car.

This is for you Tim Leeming!!! Even though it was one of Waltrip's cars....I have always kind of liked this paint scheme, especially with those chrome wheels before they were outlawed in 87'.

I know you can't really read it...but it says "Joe Lee Johnson - World 600 Winner-1960" It must have just came in as it was sitting on the front desk counter.

And lastly.....even though I am strongly a Ford guy, I just love the mid 80's GM aero cars....Monte Carlo's, Grand Nationals....especially these 2+2's. This one was sitting under the 'courtyard'

Hope ya'll enjoyed my 'virtual tour'

updated by @cody-dinsmore: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

JUST ONE WORD TO YOU CODY------------------------- M O R E please (oops thats two)

Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
12 years ago
589 posts

Thanks Jimmy. I visited Memory Lane when we did the whole 'Mooresville Experience' back in October of 2007 when we went to most of the shops, fanfares, museums, and then wound up with free tickets to the race too!Unfortunately, I've only been back that a way only once since then and didn't have time to stop at the museum....one day. I'll get my license in October.

Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
12 years ago
589 posts

Just for you Johnny.....

That's Ron Boushard (I know I spelled it wrong! lol) 1981 Talladega winner

Well......that'll give some more to ooogle over for a while!

Carol Bell
@carol-bell
12 years ago
36 posts

Super, Cody! Just too cool! Especially loved Richard Petty's Dodge Daytona. I have a special place in my heart for old Mopars. My first "new" car was a '68 Charger R/T. I had two other after that and a '71 Challenger. The Challenger put me in the "high performance" bracket on my insurance and nearly broke me. But Lordy, they were fun! And the black Monte Carlo looks just like my '86 SS.

You did good and I'm sure it was a wonderful experience for you. We stopped one year and found a vantage point where we could see that track, and you can't get the feel for how big and intimidating it is until you see it.

Thanks so much!

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Great stuff, Cody.

Thanks so much for posting.

Sure am glad you found a "#9" in your wanderings!

I saw the photo you posted for Legend. Did you tell him yet that he a also left pair of boots down there in 'Dega?

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
12 years ago
589 posts

Yeah on the #9....on the brochure, it said it was the one that went 212.809, but that was an 85' model, not a 87' bird. Two totally different animals, or t-birds! But when I looked at it, it had the correct information on the board that said it was the one that made up two laps under green during the 85' Winston 500. It was cool.....but we've still got 6 of em', so Hah!

But really, I enjoyed seeing every car. If I clean/dust or wax the cars at our museum (roughly 30 cars, give or take a few) it takes me a while if I do a good job....I couldn't imagine doing over 100+

Like I said, I'm ready to go back!