A Racing History Minute - April 9, 1961

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Today finds us back at that little "paperclip" track called Martinsville. After all, it is that time of year when that historic facility hosts NASCAR events. As we had just covered a Martinsville event a couple of "history minutes" ago, I thought about bypassing this particular event, but it is just too intriguing to let it slip by. Let me tell you about the race and then I'll interject some of my personal thoughts. You knew that was coming, after all, didn't you?

The 1961 event in Martinsville was scheduled for 250 miles, 500 laps on that half-mile asphalt track. No concrete in the turns then, simply asphalt all the way. Rex White started on the pole in what is reported as a "White-Clements '61 Ford". I have my doubts that this was a Ford as that team was runnin Chevys exclusively as far as I recall. Also, as will be explored later, future records indicate it was a Chevrolet.
But, on to the interesting occurance in this race.

Rex White backed up his pole position qualifying run by leading the first 118 laps. Fred Lorenzen, driving his first event for Holman-Moody, slipped by Rex on lap 119. Soon after the pass, a pouring rain inundated the track and the race was red flagged. After a few minutes, Big Bill France, in attendance that day, made the ruling that the 149 laps would make this an "official" 100 mile race regardless of the NASCAR Rule Book's requirement that at least 50% of a race be completed to be considered "official". Big Bill said the race was official, it was over, but the cars would return to Martinsville on April 30th to compete for a full 500 laps. All points and money earned in the race out race would be "official". Big Bill definitely used that Executive Privilege on that day. After the rundown, I'll give you my opinion on why that happened.

Top Five finishers were:

1. Fred Lorenzen, Ford, winning $1,150.00

2. Rex White, Chevrolet, winning $1,275.00 (includes bonus money)

3. Glen Wood, Ford, winning $500.00

4. Emanuel Zervakis, Chevrolet, winning $325.00

5. Ned Jarrett, Chevrolet, winning $450.00 (includes bonus money).

Other notable finishers were Junior Johnson 6th, Johnny Allen 7th, Richard Petty 8th, Tim Flock 9th, Herman Beam 19th, Fred Harb 23rd and Wendell Scott 24th.

I think it goes without further comment necessary to say that Big Bill France was more compentent in using promotional and advantageous situations that even Barnum and Bailey. He could see the "big picture" in every move he made to advance his NASCAR baby. So, why would he rule that race to be "official" although less than 30% of the distance was run?

Think about this: Fred Lorenzen was movie star handsome. He spoke with an accent not reflective of the NC or Tennessee Mountains, nor Southern Virginia or the sandhills of South Carolina. Fred spoke, for the most part, proper English and always knew exactly when to smile, when to speak, and, for the most part, what to say. Add to that the fact that he was a young driver from another part of the country, a very populated part of the country and Big Bill saw an opportunity to expand the fan base (sound familiar) by getting the young Lorenzen an early win. This is not intended to slight Fred at all for we all know of the great career to went on to experience. After all, he had no control over the decisions made by Big Bill. No one did. This is certainly one of those examples of NASCAR using whatever it has to expand a fan base, much like the Danica-mania of today.

Fred went on to become known, among other nicknames, as "the Golden Boy". Part of that was due to his blond hair, but moreover, I think, it was due to Big Bill's recognition that he had a "golden goose" to use to advance his agenda with stock car racing. I was either listening on the radio or actually in attendance at all the races in the 60s and it became a common occurance for the "debris caution" to appear at just the moment Fred needed a pit stop. One year at Darlington, 1964 I think, our little group was actually predicting when the yellow would fly and we weren't off more than a couple laps.

Again, nothing I've said is meant to be disparing as to Fred Lorenzen. He was a great driver and was, indeed, "Fearless Freddie" and "The Elmhurst Express" and most of all "The Golden Boy". He was NASCAR's golden ticket to boosting interest in the sport outside the Confederate States of America.

Be sure to check in here on April 30th to find out what happened in the full 500 lap race a Martinsville. No fair peeking ahead!!!! If you do that, you'll take away my surprise ending and put me out of a job.

Remember the past, embrace the present, and dream for the future!

Tim

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Part 1 of the 1961 Martinsville Experience as reported in the April 10 edition of the Free Lance-Star of Fredericksburg, VA.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Wow,Chase! You are on top of everything. Thanks for posting that news clipping. I admit I may be a little "jaded" in my thoughts, but it seems to me, reading between the lines, that Big Bill was saying what I am thinking. He was at the top of the heap in promoting his sport. Bill, Jr. learned from him and, with the help of R. J. Reynolds kept the ball rolling. I'm not quite sure Brian has any of the talent of his forefathers.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

As I understand him, Big Bill was not afraid of anyone - even of those who accused him of playing from both pockets. He'd do whatever he could from driving to promoting a race at a track to owing a track to promoting the full series if it benefited him.

While I'll wait for part 2 later this month, my hunch tells me he sent a telegram to Colvin suggesting he could return to his beloved minnow pond if he continued with his lawsuit. With the stroke of a pen and a modest out-of-court settlement, France could have put Darlington out to pasture for good.

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

And here is the program cover from the April 9th race.

Source: Motor Racing Programme Covers

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Really interesting stuff Tim and Chase. Thanks to each of you.

Today also happens to be my baby sister's birthday. Whenever my dear departed mother would ask if I remembered what was special about this date, I'd always reply I sure did... "It's the date Lee surrendered to Grant at Appomattox Court House, Virginia" I'd say and watch her face turn red!

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Dave, you at too much!!! I had actually forgotten the significance (other than your sister's birthday) of this date. Thanks for the reminder.

Chase, I swear Dude, if there is anything I ever need concerning racing history, I'm calling you! You have access to everything. Oh, and notice the price on the cover of that program! The only thing "Fitty Cent" will get you now is loud noise on Daytona race day.

--

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

We've made a full lap from 2013 to 2014 since Tim posted about the April 9, 1961 Martinsville race won by Lorenzen. As he referenced, the cars returned to Martinsville on April 30 that year. Here is the link to the April 30 / part 2 post.

http://racersreunion.com/community/forum/stock-car-racing-history/23105/racing-history-minute-april-30-1961

--

updated by @tmc-chase: 04/09/17 10:15:42AM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

Lorenzen enjoying the rewards of victory lane.

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

Bump

--