A Racing History Minute - April 11, 1966

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

I'm a little late with the History Minute today due to a visit to my friendly neighbor dentist. I have never been a fan of visiting the dentist but now I have to go back Monday for a filling!!!! But, at least, I get plenty of nitrous-oxide or whatever that good stuff is.

For our trip back in time today, we are going to Winston-Salem, NC, to a little quarter-mile track called Bowman-Gray Stadium. That track is about to open its 2013 season so it is still around, though long gone from the Grand National (Cup) scene.

We go back to April 11, 1966 when a 50 mile race/200 laps on the short track, was set to go. David Pearson, in his Cotton Owens Dodge was gunning for his fourth straight victory and qualified on the pole. Cotton Owens also brought a two year old Dodge with him as a back up car for the point leading Pearson and although Cotton entered the race in that two year old car, there is no record I can locate as to where he finished.

Tiger Tom Pistone started on the outside front row in his 1964 Ford and when the green dropped he stormed into the lead. Tiger would lead the first 7 laps before Pearson moved the red and white Dodge to the front. From that point on, it was all Pearson in front although Tiger hung with him throughout the race. Tiger was the only driver to finish on the lead lap with Pearson.

There was only one caution flag in the race, for two laps, which allowed Pearson to set a race record for the event. However, the real action going on was between Richard Petty in his Plymouth and J.T. Putney in his Chevrolet. It is reported that for "much of the race" Petty and Putney were banging fenders, doors, bumpers, and any other part of the cars they could manage to connect. While fighting it out for fourth place, Petty really smashed Putney and took the position for a minute before having to pit for pull a fender from the tire caused by the "bump". When Petty returned to the track, Putney went after him, running full throttle into turn one trying to catch the back bumper of the Petty blue Plymouth but he missed the bumper and gathered the guard rail. As Greg Fielden's report states, the caution flag "amazingly" did not come out for that accident. Petty went onto to a third place finish, two laps down, after scraping by Bobby Allison with a hand full of laps left. As they say "rubbing is racing" and I would think Bowman Gray would exemplify that for sure.

Top Five finishers were:

1. David Pearson, Dodge, winning $850.00

2. Tiger Tom Pistone, Ford, winning 500.00

3. Richard Petty, Plymouth, winning $425.00

4. Bobby Allison, Ford, winning $330.00

5. Elmo Langley, Ford, winning $305.00

Other finishers to note were Cale Yarborough 6th, John Sears 7th, Hank Thomas 8th, J.T. Putney 12th, Neil Castles 16th, Wendell Scott 18th and Buddy Arrington 22nd and last place.

The element of "short" track racing in the major leagues of NASCAR is gone, with only Martinsville, Richmond and Bristol approaching a "short track" designation. Cars of today, I don't believe (my personal opinion) could survive the kind of slam bang racing required for a quarter mile asphalt track. As I said, Bowman Gray still runs races and the shows there are second to none, so I'm told, although I haven't been to that track since 1971. I do remember, it was fun, but I was NOT driving in competition that day! Not sure how much fun it would have been to be slammed around like a pinball!

Honor the past, embrace the present, dream for the future.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Considering that the late J.T. Putney was my "independent" hero, I especially appreciate this look back, Tim. The first time I ever sat in a race car, it was J.T. who told me to get in his and take a look around his '65 Chevy #19 after a 1965 race at Richmond. I started pulling for J.T. in 1964 (along with Richard as my " factory" driver) and hand made a special sweatshirt I wore to the races with his name, car number and racing patches on it. I valued that shirt more than any kid could value one of today's concession stand bought shirts.

Very few students at my "uppity" Richmond, Virginia high school ever attended a stock car race besides me and my buddies Frank and John.

My really good friend, now deceased, Albert Bruckner never even made it to a race. Albert was born in Vienna, Austria, the son of Jewish parents who survived the holocaust, but lost all their worldly possessions to Hitler's henchmen.

In 1948, Albert and his parents were "sponsored" by a local Richmond synagogue to come to the United States. Mr. and Mrs, Bruckner spoke very broken English and each worked long hours at demanding physical jobs - he retreaded & recapped tires and she was a department store seemstress. But, I was always welcome in their extremely modest home.

Although Albert never made it to a race, he knew that I drove a 1957 Chevy "283" and he knew I talked incessantly about J.T. Putney . I will forever treasure the inscription made by my departed friend, Albert above his photograph in my 1966 Thomas Jefferson High School senior year annual as I've scanned below:

There's not enough money in the world to describe he feelings I get when a post like Tim's triggers those very special feelings. As our RR friend, Johnny Mallonee reminds us so often... MEMORIES !

Thanks, Legend.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
8 years ago
4,073 posts

This race was one of many Easter Monday GN races hosted at Bowman Gray Stadium.

The race was the first on the track after a recent repaving project.

Race report from Benny Phillips of the High Point Enterprise.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 04/10/17 11:20:27PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
8 years ago
9,137 posts

These were still the days when sports writers wrote of bumping and framming. Can't remember the last time I heard "fram" on a telecast or radio broadcast - probably back when Bob Montgomery was still lead announcer for Hank Schoolfield's Universal Racing Network. I get so damned tired of Mike Joy and his stupid "chrome horn" and shunts. I know he favors driving his sports cars at Lime Rock, Connecticut, but this is stock car racing. No shunts, please. We old fans still remember framming and bamming!

Now , Tim & Chase, don't you think NASCAR would have thrown the yellow if it had been Richard who crashed trying to retalliate against J.T. Putney instead of the other way around? Just asking, you know.

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
8 years ago
4,073 posts

"Ooh, you went there, didn't you?"

RP: You know that Fulton fella?

AA: Yes, I know him.

RP: Take him out.

AA: Out? C'mon King. That's pretty harsh.

RP: You want more bacon? Out. I ain't a'sayin it again. And this conversation never happened.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
8 years ago
9,137 posts

This has gotten serious. Better watch my back!

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
8 years ago
9,137 posts

Think King could spare a couple of slices of bacon before he dispatches his minion?

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

Bump

--