Farmer John Matthews Won Jacksonville's 1964 Leatherneck 150 as Car Owner Burned During Refueling

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

One of the most popular drivers I ever saw at Wilson County Speedway was "Farmer " John Matthews of Raleigh, NC wheeling his #16 Late Model. John was also a frequent winner at Wake County Speedway and at the Raleigh Fairgrounds.

Farmer John Matthews' most unusual win, though, may have come in October 1964 at the Jacksonville (NC) International Speedway. Neither Marines nor fire could keep Farmer John from the winner's circle in the Leatherneck 150 . Jacksonville is home to Camp Lejeune , the famed United States Marines installation.

The Wilmington Star-News reports how Matthews' car owner, Kenneth Simpkins of Raleigh suffered serious burns during refueling requiring hospitalization. But Farmer John drove on to victory in spite of his burned car owner. The clip below is from the October 25, 1964 Wilmington Star-News. I'm guessing the Raleigh tobacco farmer was wearing his customary bib overalls in the cockpit!

Farmer John Matthews of Raleigh at Wilson County Speedway in early 1970s with his Cliff Winstead/Cliff's Drive-In sponsored #16 Chevelle. Tim Hamm photo

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
William Horrell
@william-horrell
11 years ago
175 posts
Bill Duff from Tarboro, NC who led the first half was in 61 chev impala SS. I remember the car from When Bill brought it to the Carolina Beach Speeway around'64. Was supposedly an ex GN car and for some reason I am remembering it as being from Rex White , although I have no idea where I got that tidbit. Rex could say for sure.
I do remember the number as being 74.
Farmer John was running his 16 jr. Coupe in these years.i remember it being gold at one time and seems as if it was blue also at one time... Memory being tested going back that far. I wonder if Kenneth Simpkins is any relation to another Raleigh area driver, Glenn Simpkins? He always wore the overalls kinda become his trademark. Loved watching him run
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Thanks for the eyewitness info on Bill Duff's and Farmer John's cars back in the day, William. I wondered also about whether Kenneth Simpkins was kin to Glenn - who also built Wake County Speedway, his cousin, Marvin or Glenn's father, Oscar. If anyone knows, please step forward.

--
Charles Ray Stocks
@charles-ray-stocks
11 years ago
222 posts

i enjoyed reading this post dave ive seen pictures of the 74 car that bill duff drove i beleive a man from greenville nc drove this car at myrtle beach back in the sixties i cant recall his name right now but i think the photo of this 61 chevy is on jack walkers site

Charles Ray Stocks
@charles-ray-stocks
11 years ago
222 posts

i remember the drivers name from greenville nc that drove that 61 that bill duff drove his name is ld austin

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Thanks, Charles. I found that photo at Jack Walker's Carolina Race Place. On the front fender is lettered "Built by L.D. Austin and Friends." Jack also has several photos of Farmer John Matthews' #16Jr Modifieds. Here's the link to Jack's photos:

http://www.raceplace.zoomshare.com/

--
William Horrell
@william-horrell
11 years ago
175 posts
Thanks for the link Dave, that is the hot dog car from my very first races watched. My goodness it has been 47 yrs or so since I laid eyes on Farmer John's coupe. It is exactly as remembered except I think I have seen it run in blue as well. Maybe someone can tell me for sure did John race this coupe blue at any point. He used to kick Hoss Ellington, Richard Brickhouse, and Jackie Rogers butt every Sunday at the beach. Thanks Charles for the info on the Bill Duff reference. Now I know the lowdown on that after 47 yrs as well. Most people that I mention Bill Duff to have never saw him run and most have never heard of him either. Glad you do and did, thanks again.
Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
11 years ago
907 posts

William, I remember those days at Carolina Beach, too. The first time I ever saw Farmer John was at Myrtle Beach in about '63 or '64...he and Glenn Simpkins was there the same night...the race was rained out. At that time, the 16 jr. was bronze/copper colored. But later, at Carolina Beach it was blue metallic. Looked to be the same car, '37 chevy coupe, and the lettering, on both versions, was yellow....car had the first "Jahn's Pistons" decal I ever saw.

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
11 years ago
907 posts

Dave, I remember this very race. I recall the TV ads (WECT-6 Wilmington) advertising the big race at Jacksonvilles' "International Speedway" as the event approached. I Did not attend, but I lived on US 17 in Shallotte, NC remember seeingthe modified coupe of Julian Richardson (Conway, SC....#83 '40 Ford painted in Pepsi colors, complete with the "83" emblazoned on a Pepsi bottle cap motif) towing through town, and also the Yon brothers "the Barracuda" #3 Ford coupe from the Charleston area passing through town also, in route to Jacksonville, NC.

Jack Walker
@jack-walker
11 years ago
162 posts

Bill Duff drove the #74 owned by Andrew Parker of Tarboro, NC on the Carolina short tracks in the mid 60s. The 1961 Chevywas the same car that L D. Austin ran on the Grand National circuit in 1961. This photo is from the David Duff collection.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Thanks Jack, Charles, William, and Bobby for your information. Amazing how accurate your memories all are.

--
William Horrell
@william-horrell
11 years ago
175 posts
Bobby I remember this decal also but not sure where I first saw it. I am sure it was about that time frame. I do remember John bringing Glenn Simpkins along in a coupe #21 to the beach I think was the number andalso brought Don Macon along in a red coupe #4. Made for bad days for Hoss, Stan Grimsley, Frank Irving,Jackie, Don Hill and old "spin out"Spud long in the Ball's Texaco car. Ole KEn Klutz from Salisbury was my favorite in the #20 Forty Ford sedan. Liked James Roy Croom's # 80 "the pink lady" coach as well.
William Horrell
@william-horrell
11 years ago
175 posts
Thanks Jack, this is the car and the man. For the life ofMe I cannot understand where I got the idea that the car was Maroon and white. The tobacco leaf and Tarboro,NC are the dead give away that I remember. This is exactly why this site is so great! Old people pulling together for the preservation of the good old times.
Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
11 years ago
907 posts

Ken Klutz in action at Carolina Beach Speedway, 1964.

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
11 years ago
907 posts

Farmer John, 1980's LakeView Speedway

Charles Ray Stocks
@charles-ray-stocks
11 years ago
222 posts

bill duff was originally from seven springs nc he also drove a car from goldsboro nc owned by the dew family he also drove for a man from ayden nc at a track near snow hill nc called the ormondsville speedway along with don macon george foss dan pitner

Charles Ray Stocks
@charles-ray-stocks
11 years ago
222 posts

bill duff was originally from seven springs nc he also drove a car from goldsboro nc owned by the dew family he also drove for a man from ayden nc at a track near snow hill nc called the ormondsville speedway along with don macon george foss dan pitner

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Thanks Bobby for the shot of Farmer John at Lakeview.

I never got to see Farmer John in a car that "modern." Last time I saw him race would have been in late 70s at Wilson, probably in the #00 Glover Farms Eggs car out of Bailey, NC as pictured below in the Tim Hamm photo taken in 1976. Charles, did John return to a #16 at Wilson after this ride?

Tim Hamm caught Farmer John Matthews in #16 and Mac Mangum in #1 mixing it up at Wilson around 1974-1975. Earl Arnold also drove a #1 Late Model occasionally at Wilson in the 70s.

Tim Hamm captured Earl Arnold's #1 at Wake County in 1974:

--
Charles Ray Stocks
@charles-ray-stocks
11 years ago
222 posts

dave john did return to no 16 after the 00 car he drove a camaro 16 and a 16 buick when they switched to the light weight cars and fiberglass bodies driving for steve reading of steves corvette shop in wilson and harold eatmon built the engines

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Thanks, Charles. Harold Eatmon motors were legendary for their horsepower.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

I see that the Eatmon name is still very much alive in Wilson, NC. The web site for Eatmon Race Parts says they've been building winning race engines since 1970. They've got a nice little Chevy 358 on sale for just $14,500 if any RR members need something fresh to drop in the family station wagon! Must be selling engines to those Australian SuperCars... I see they'll ship to Australia for just $1200!

NASCAR CHEVROLET SB2.2 RACE ENGINE FRESH BUILD 818HP

Price:
$14,500.00
Weight:
550.00 LBS
Product Description

This is a fresh built Chevy SB2.2 Nascarengine, professionally built here at Eatmon Racing Engines. This engine has all the best parts, some 1 raceused from Nascar Cup teams and some NEW parts. This has a Bryant lightweight crankshaft, Lentz connecting rods, NEW BME pistons, casidiam coated wrist pins, Jesel belt drive, Stef's stainless steel dry sump oil pan, Comp Cams solid roller camshaft, Jesel .937 roller lifters, ATI balancer, Weaver Bros. 5 stage dry sump oil pump, BMRS lightweight oil lines, NEW Edelbrock water pump, NEW CV water pump pulley, NEW GM valley tray, NEW Total Seal rings, NEW Clevite bearings, NEW Fel-Pro gaskets, NEW Autolite spark plugs, MSD distributor, Delphi 8mm insulated plug wires, CV Products pushrods, CNC ported SB2.2 cylinder heads from Joe Gibbs Racing and a ported and polished intake manifold, T&D shaft mounted roller rocker arms, Del West titanium valves and retainers and NEW titanium valve locks and NEW valve seals, PSI roller valve springs, all this in a SB2 Bowtie block. This is a 358 CID 12:1 compression ratio engine. All partswere inspected cleaned, block honed, valve job on heads completely gone through and dynoed with 569 ft-lb torque and 818HP and it was dynoed with a Holley 830 cfm carb. Please feel free to call or email with any questions 252-237-7968 252-237-2437 seatmonraceparts@nc.rr.com shipping is approx. $300 east coast $500 west coast and $1200 Australia.

--
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
11 years ago
835 posts

William, You have listed some names I remember from way back. Glenn Simpkins came from Raleigh to run at Rockingham and Sanford in the late 60's.

Ken Klutz was winning at Rockingham in 1956 and he won the first two late model features at Caraway Speedway in Oct. of 1967, Wayne Andrews won the next one followed by Bobby Webb the next week.

And I've heard dad talk about running with John Matthews at Johnson County and CatTail Pond (Brown's Speedway) in the late 50's.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Farmer John Matthews was back at Jacksonville on March 28, 1965, besting Don Macon and Glen Simpkins among others in a 30-lap modified feature.

Wilmington Star-News

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

It appears that Farmer John Matthews won 18 NASCAR modified races in 1964 - don't know if that was a total or at Jacksonville. In this March 28, 1965 Wilmington Star-News preview of the season opener, he is referred to as "Johnny" Matthews! Wonder if the Wilmington writer knew Dick Petty or Davey Pearson?! Interesting to note the reference to Jacksonville's "sister track" in Concord. What was that about?

--
Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
11 years ago
907 posts

Walter "Walt" Zawaski was a sportsman division competitor. He had two coupes a '38 and a'39 Ford, both were #17a. Walt won races into the late '60's at Leland and Little River raceways. By a series of unexpected circumstances, I could have bought one of Walt's coupes recently. It had been barn-stored forever, and was partially disassembled but was a time capsule of 1950's racing technology. I passed though, $3,000.00 seemed too steep. But then, maybe it wasn't.

William Horrell
@william-horrell
11 years ago
175 posts
Just so happens Earl Arnold was racing a Late Model In Dublin NC tonite, some 39 yrs after this pic was taken.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

I am amazed at the lengthy driving careers some racers have enjoyed. Thanks, William for the tip on Earl.

--
Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
11 years ago
907 posts

William, I was at Dublin and there was a neat looking #1 open-wheel mod.........it had "arnold........." on the side..........was that Earl????

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

I noticed a DALE Arnold listed at both Dublin and FMS in a #1 Open Wheel Modified. Here's his name in the June 15th Dublin results:

Open Wheel Modified
1) #10 Daniel Parker
2) #14 Jordan Taylor
3) #14 David Taylor
4) #23 Andy Floyd
5) #5 Mack Coxe
6) #1 Dale Arnold
7) #3 Dennis Brewer
8) #4 Clay Parker
9) #19 Steve Haefke
10) #E3 Ennis Brewer
11) #88 Wayne Gray
12) #12 Billy Wilson
13) #34 Steve Strickland
14) #94 Ricky Chavis
15) #7 Eddie Bullard

--
William Horrell
@william-horrell
11 years ago
175 posts
Bobby, Dave, after further review I do believe you are correct. I went and got there right after qualifying. For some strange reason I thought it was a late model. As far as Earl being the Arnold goes,I left the track, drove 1.5 Hrs to get home all the while thinking I had witnessed a real longevity feat. One hell of an assumption on my part I guess. Strange that I remember forty yrs back and at the same time do not know who I even saw last nite! I either was not paying the same level of attention as I did as a kid or either it was the announcers fault. Yep that' it, it was the announcer! Thanks for filling us in with the complete rundown. It is official, the air is gone outta that balloon.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Found this photo of Bill Duff taken the same year as the 1964 Jacksonville race. This one in the Getty Images file was taken at Daytona on July 2, 1964:

News Photo: 1960s Bill Duff with his NASCAR stock car…

Title:

Bill Duff - NASCAR Driver

Caption: DAYTONA BEACH, FL 1960s: Bill Duff with his NASCAR stock car at Daytona International Speedway. (Photo by ISC Images & Archives via Getty Images)
Date created: 02 Jul 1964

--