August 6, 1961: Jim Paschal wins Nashville 500

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

I waited for Tim to see his choice of race for his Racing Minute today. When he went with Hutch's win at Atlanta in 1967, I figured the deck was clear to post this supplement.

On August 4, Tim and I posted about Jim Paschal's third consecutive win at Nashville in 1963. On August 5, I posted about Paschal's second win in 1962. Today, I'm posting about his first of three wins in the Nashville 500 on August 6, 1961.

Rex White won the pole.

And he was all smiles during the promo photo shoot for the race. (I plan to contact The Tennessean to see if I could get a better version of this photo.)

But I guess some of Rex's smiles faded when he blew a tire and stuck it in the fence.

Richard Petty started on the front row alongside Rex, and he dominated the race leading over 360 laps. But an overheated engine resulted in the 43 having to park it and watch the rest of the race from a different vantage point.

Paschal took over in his Julian Petty-owned Pontiac and led the next 41 laps. Then the rain began to fall, and the race was called after 403 laps. (Click on article to enlarge it for easier reading.)

By 1961, Richard had already built a solid fan following. Many were disappointed to see such a dominant run ended. And of course, most were disappointed when the last 20% of the race was cancelled because of summer showers.

Fin Driver Car
1 Jim Paschal '61 Pontiac
2 Ned Jarrett '61 Chevrolet
3 Johnny Allen '61 Chevrolet
4 Buck Baker '61 Chrysler
5 Emanuel Zervakis '61 Chevrolet
6 George Alsobrook '61 Ford
7 Jimmy Pardue '60 Chevrolet
8 G.C. Spencer '60 Chevrolet
9 Paul Lewis '61 Chevrolet
10 L.D. Austin '61 Chevrolet
11 Herman Beam '60 Ford
12 Bob Barron '60 Dodge
13 Crash Bond '60 Ford
14 Richard Petty '61 Plymouth
15 Jack Smith '61 Pontiac
16 Curtis Crider '61 Mercury
17 Charlie Chapman '60 Ford
18 Tommy Wells '60 Chevrolet
19 Junior Johnson '60 Pontiac
20 Bob Presnell '59 Chevrolet
21 Dave Mader '61 Chevrolet
22 Buddy Baker '61 Chrysler
23 Rex White '61 Chevrolet
24 Doug Yates '61 Plymouth

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 07/18/17 12:21:25PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Can you tell us anything about Nashville's Crash Bond, the 13th place finisher in his only career Grand National start? There's got to be a story to go with that name!

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Another awesome contribution by Russ Thompson. Victory lane at Nashville 1961 with Paschal, Linda Vaughn and Julian Petty.

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Couple more shots from the race.

Paschal racing Ned Jarrett.

Paschal slipping under Rex White after he punched the fence.

--

updated by @tmc-chase: 07/18/17 12:21:47PM
Russ Thompson
@russ-thompson
11 years ago
46 posts

Dave -

A follow-up to your Crash Bond question. Instead of me telling the story of his name, I'll let the Nashville Banner tell it in the story of him winning the 1963 Nashville season opener. Despite his propensity to crash a car on occasion, he was a talented wheel man. He had 8 wins at Nashville over the years. He was still racing mini-sprints well into the 1980's.

Finally, here is a photo of a proud Crash standing beside his car before the 1961 Nashville 500.

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Great story, clippings and pictures. The 1961 season was an odd one for me. When Lee Petty was injured at Daytona in February, my Uncle Bobby sort of drew back for a couple of weeks until it was determined Lee would survive, whether or not he would race again. We went to Darlington for both races that year, and Charlotte, but for the Grand National races, that was about it. As for the local track scene (Columbia Speedway), we were there every week. We did attend the qualifying races for the World 600 that year and Richard won his race in that 1961 Plymouth. As "ugly" as that car is/was to many, I really like it. My ride, the entire time I was in the Navy, was a 1961 Plymouth! Awesome car, and did I mention it would "fly". lol. I guess I shouldn't talk about such things now that I have teenage grandsons driving, but I'm tell you, that car would move on down the road. It had that "ribbon of light" speedometer where it would show "green" until about 45 mph I think, then yellow from 46 to 65 mph, then red. Let's just say mine was glowing red most of the time. Also, the steering whel was sort of a squareish oval shape. I know that doesn't have much to do with the subject of this wonderful post, but the 1961 season brings back such memories. Thanks Chase, Dave and Russ.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Thanks so much, Russ. Great addition.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
9 years ago
4,073 posts

Today is anniversary of Jim Paschal's win at Fairgrounds Speedway in the rain-plagued Nashville 500. And wouldn't ya know it - raining here today!

--
Alex FL Racing Fan
@alex-fl-racing-fan
9 years ago
221 posts

Can't help but notice that Jim's head is turned to watch Rex wreck.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
9 years ago
4,073 posts

When I met Rex at Memory Lane Museum last fall, he said he remembered that wreck. He laughed as he said he was accused by others of trying to get a better look at that purty girl on the billboard. Maybe Paschal was smitten as well!

--