Racing History Minute - August 15, 1965

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Just a month from now, September 14, 2013, the Augusta International Raceway Preservation Society will be holding its annual event to recognize the part the Augusta International Raceway half-mile paved track AND the 3 mile road course where one Grand National race was run in November, 1963, and would become the last win for Fireball Roberts. Check out the AIRPS website for more information

Today we are returning to Augusta for a 100 mile/200 lap event on the half-mile high banked track. That track was built for good competition with the ability to pass about anywhere. It is the track where I ran my second race when I started in 1969 and was able to take the lead on the first lap from my fourth starting position. I only stayed out front 7 laps before my inexperience gave way to a more experienced guy who forced me higher than I wanted to go in turn three, but I did find out you could ride the rail there somewhat like they did at Darlington back in the day.

But our story today does not involve me but rather the 24 drivers who showed to compete in the 40th race of the 1965 season. You may recall that the Chrysler Corporation drivers had boycotted most of the 1965 season when NASCAR outlawed the Hemi. They were allowed to return to the short tracks late in the season and although they were allowed at Augusta, Cotton Owens was the only Mopar Factory Team to enter, with David Pearson as the driver.

Ned Jarrett qualified his Bondy Long Ford on the pole with a speed of 81.118 mph with Dick Hutcherson in another Ford in second. David Pearson qualified the Dodge third, Buck Baker in a Chevrolet fourth, and Tiny Lund in a Ford in fifth.

Ned would lead the first 41 laps before a caution was thrown for oil on the track when the engine blew in Tiny Lund's Ford. All the leaders hit the pits and Dick Hutcherson's crew, headed by Ralph Moody, got him back on track first. Hutch led the rest of the way although David Pearson made a really strong run at the end .Even with 2 caution flags for 12 laps, the average race speed was 71.499 mph. David Pearson finished 2.75 seconds behind Hutch.

Top five finishers were:

1. Dick Hutcherson, Holman-Moody Ford, winning $1,000.00

2. David Pearson, Cotton Owens Dodge winning $600.00

3. Ned Jarrett, Bondy Long Ford, winning $400.00

4. LeeRoy Yarbrough, Gary Weaver Ford, winning $375.00

5. G. C. Spencer, Spencer Ford, winning $375.00

Sixth through tenth were Cale Yarborough, Buddy Baker, Buck Baker, Wendell Scott and Roy Mayne. Buddy Arrington would finish 11th, Neil Castles 12th, Elmo Langly 13th, Henley Gray 16th, and Roy Tyner 18th. Tiny Lund, although out since lap 41 was credited with 19th, J.T. Putney 22nd, Darel Dieringer 23rd and Jimmy Helms 24th.

Attendance at the event was 12,000 which exceed the number of fans in attendance at the spring race at Darlington when no Mopar teams were entered. Augusta International Raceway was a great venue to watch a race and was certainly a fun place to race.

Honor the past, embrace the present, dream for the future.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Race preview from Rome News Tribune

Race report from Spartanburg Herald

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 08/15/17 10:38:34AM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Paul Woody has this photo in his collection. Your top 3 finishers from that race - Hutch, Pearson, Jarrett - all running together.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 08/15/18 11:43:20AM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Thanks for today's "Minute" and for the anecdote of taking the lead at Augusta in 1969 from the 4th starting position in just your 2nd outing. Good stuff!

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

My racing hero, JT Putney , made the second of three 1965 starts in Wayne Smith's #38 Chevy at Augusta. The first came at Shelby and the last 4 days after Augusta at Columbia.

Putney's results in his 3 outings in the underpowered Wayne Smith Chevy were dismal compared to his 24 top-10 finishes and 10 top-5 finishes in 37 other 1965 Grand National events, mostly wheeling Herman "The Turtle" Beam's #19 Chevy.

J.T. Putney - NASCAR Photo

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"