Racing History Minute - August 20, 1955

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

The news of current NASCAR yesterday, is that Tony Stewart will miss the remainder of the 2013 season due to his injuries in a sprint car accident just over a month ago. I mention that in the History Minute this morning because I want to quote the official report of another injured driver from back in 1955.

Dateline: Charlotte Speedway, .75 mile dirt track, May 1,1955. Quoting now, as to an accident involving Herb Thomas. "Thomas, who had won the pole position, crashed heavily in the 41st lap (of 133) while running fourth. His Buick hooked a rut and flipped over several times. The two-time Grand National Champion was thrown from his car and rushed to Charlotte Memorial Hospital with a fractured leg, severebruises, a concussion, a lacerated arm and shoulder injuries. Thomas was expected to miss at least six months while recuperating". (Thanks to Greg Fielden's "Forty Years of Stock Car Racing" for the quote).

Now let's move forward to August 7, 1955 and a 100 mile race on the half-mile dirt track in Winston-Salem, NC, won by Lee Petty. Herb Thomas finished 21st in that race after losing the clutch in his Hudson. On August 14, 1955, in a 250 mile rae on the 1.5 mile dirt track in West Memphis, Arkansas, Herb would finish 14th out of 29 starters. So, here we are at August 20, 1955 and the boys are to run a 100 mile race on the 1 mile asphalt track in Raleigh, NC. Herb Thomas would qualify third for that race. Tim Flock claimed the pole, Fonty Flock second.

Tim Flock led the first three laps under the lights before his brother Fonty pushed his Chrysler to the front. On lap 36, Herb took the lead for the one lap before Fonty retook the lead. In fact, the lead changed hands four times between these three drivers beforeThomas took over for good on lap 76. Fonty wasstrong in second place but on lap 88 the blew a tire and lost a lap in the pits, giving second place to Bob Welborn at the time. With six laps to go, Tim Flock moved around Welborn and intosecond place. So, just a little over three months after what was supposed to have been his season ending accident, Herb Thomas returned to VictoryLane. Oh, and want to know a secret? In the Southern 500, run on Labor Day, September 5, 1955, Herb Thomas would celebrate another win in what was then the toughest race on the circuit!

Top five finishers:

1. Herb Thomas, Smokey Yunick Buick, winning $1,500.00

2. Tim Flock, Mercury Outboard Chrysler, winning $1,000.00

3. Bob Welborn, Chevrolet, winning $600.00

4. JimmieLewallen, Ernest Woods Oldsmobile, winning $500.00

5. Gwyn Staley,Hubert Westmoreland Chevrolet, winning $400.00

Sixth through tenth were Buck Baker, JuniorJohnson, Eddie Skinner, Fonty Flock and Jimmy Massey.Speedy Thompson was 11th, Jim Reed 13th, Joe Eubanks 17th, Lee Petty22nd, Elmo Langley 23rd, and Jim Paschal 26th.

Honor the past, embrace the present, dream for the future

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Patsy Thompkins ~ Keisler
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts

So...teach me, my Dear Legend. What do you attribute the quick come-back to? Seriously, I have my own thoughts..but, I am here to learn from the wisest!

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Herb Thomas' win was the 2nd NASCAR GN win for Buick. The first was won by Buck Baker in the same May 1, 1955 race at Charlotte in which Herb wrecked his Buick violently.

A Buick wouldn't win another GN / Cup race after Thomas' victory until The King won in his Buick Regal in 1981 for his 7th Daytona 500.

Source: Jerry Bushmire collection

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 08/20/17 01:39:51PM
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Patsy, I think the quick comeback can be attributed to the fact that for Herb, racing was a necessity to put bread on the table while, for Tony, it is a well paying job whether or not he drives. That is not intended to slight Tony inany way, just saying things were different then.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts

Great pics, Chase...

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Herb was definitely "The Man" at Raleigh Speedway.

Here's how one source describes his proficiency at the former mile paved oval in the Tar Heel state's capital city:

"If any driver "owned" the Raleigh Speedway it was Herb Thomas. Of the six races he ran at the track, he qualified in the top ten every time and in the top five five times (one pole, three thirds, one fifth, and one ninth). He finished in the top five five times (two wins, one second, two fourths) with his 1957 DNF for brakes being his only finish out of the top five (46th). Herb also has the most lead-lap finishes (3)"

And speaking of Buick... in a 1981 Talladega preview, the Florence (AL) Times noted Fireball Roberts' accomplishments at Darlington in his Buick in 1955...

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

And, speaking of 1955 , Buick and Fireball Roberts , guess who was flagged the winner at Daytona and then had the victory overturned? Look below courtesy of the HowStuffWorks site:

Fireball Roberts wheels his #M-1 Buick Centur y through the south turn just ahead of Jim Paschal's #78 Oldsmobile. Roberts led the entire distance and finished first in the 160-mile Daytona Beach National Grand National event. Paschal's fine run was interrupted by a fuel-pump failure in the final laps. Roberts' apparent victory was overturned when NASCAR officials determined the pushrods had been illegally altered. Tim Flock was named the winner.

--
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts

Oh..absolutely NOT, slighting Tony at all. What you say..makes total sense to me. My Momma worked many days in the Cotton Mill, that she should have been home. When I say teach me, I really mean it...there are NO hidden agendas behind any of my comments. I just love to hear ya'lls opinions. I feel like I am a student, and asking my teachers questions..I am not only learning History here, I am learning analogy...along with many other things. I guess my curiosity stems not only from my passion for racing, but also from being a former teacher..who finds herself in class..again..LOL!

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

and another 1955 Buick...

--
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts

Welp...that certainly explains why my friend Larry Long, always had a "Herb Thomas Night" at Fayetteville Motor Speedway! Larry has always said...that Herb was his "Hero"!

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Herb picked Raleigh as his comeback race in 1957 after his near fatal Shelby accident in 1956. His plans made headlines in the Wilmington (NC) Star-News :

--
bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
11 years ago
820 posts

You learn something every day in here...Did not know you used to be a teacher....now I guess I'll have to bring you an apple in a few weeks.

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts

Now see, reading all of this, makes sense as to why there were so many Buicks and Pontiacs in the Thompkins' Family. Didn't realize it until reading all this. Takes me back, way back.. AND, my first car was a Buick, and my last reliable vehicle was a Buick, dang...I miss that thing!! LOL

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts

I love you...Bill McPeek!! LOL!! Yes, actually it was with Special Needs Children. Working my nighttime job at Cracker Barrell, I fell and messed my knee up. I could NOT give the kids 100% any longer. Being one that believes you give your all or nothing, I resigned. Stayed home, did the surgeries, etc. got a computer, learned and self taught myself all I could on it. Worked as Director of a Substance Abuse Program from 2000-2006. Moved to Holden Beach in 2007, found RacersReunion, then Bobby Williamson, then Bell & Bell Vintage Modified Racing Series...now, it is History in the making! Can't wait to see you!

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
11 years ago
3,259 posts

Patsy remember the saying back in the day ------WIN ON SUNDAY SELL ON MONDAY ------memories

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts

That is funny..Johnny...LOL! I had forgotten..it...Been a good morning, for sure!!