Racing History Minute - September 9, 1962

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Justa few days before the race we cover today, NASCAR scoring got it wrong and cheated Larry Frank out of the glory of Victory Lane he so richly deserved for winning the Southern 500. That was Frank's only Grand National win and it was recorded for history with his face superimposed over a much heavier Junior Johnson because the ruling was made long after the crowd and the beauty queens had left "the building". Just wait until you read about this debacle in NASCAR scoring a mere six days after the Darlington problems.

Thirty-three cars and drivers made the tow to the Atlantic Rural Fairgrouds Speedway in Richmond, Virginia for the "Capital City 300" on this date in 1962, for a 150 mile race on the half-mile dirt track. Rex White put his Louie Clements Chevrolet on the pole with a speed of 66.127 mph with Joe Weatherly in his Bud Moore Pontiac starting second. G.C.Spencer qualified his Floyd Powell Chevrolet third, Jim Paschal in a Petty Plymouth was fourth and the fifth place qualifier was Emanuel Zervakis in his own Mercury.

Although the lead changed hands nine times between five drivers, it was largely a - Fred Lorenzen-Rex White-Jim Paschal and Richard Petty show, are least as it appeared to the 13,000 fansgathered at the track. Several driverswho did not usually compete on the short tracks, were at Richmond for the event.

There was one caution flag for 9 laps after Jack Smith sailed through the guard rail after his accelerator stuck going down the back stretch. Jack went through the rail, rolled down a 15 foot embankment, but was unhurt. The same could not be said for his Pontiac.

Now comes the most interesting "development" from NASCAR scoring. Someone else was flagged the winner of the race (Jim Paschal I assume) and Joe Weatherly was listed in 11th place, several laps off the pace. The Clown Prince of Racing immediately filed a protest and in his "colorful" language, explained that he had won the race and how he could be scored in such a way was inconceiveable. After a recheck and another recheck and another recheck, NASCAR found the problem. Joe's "official private scorer" failed to record a "number of Joe's laps (two dozen)and that was the reason the winning driver was originally listed outside the top ten. Now, my friends, that is a scoring screw-up that should make the history books!

Top five finishers were:

1. Joe Weatherly, Bud Moore Pontiac, winning $2,000.00

2. Jim Paschal, Petty Engineering Plymouth, winning $1,350.00 (1 lap down)

3. Fred Lorenzen, LaFayette Ford, winning $950.00 (4 laps down)

4. Richard Petty, Petty Engineering Plymouth, winning $675.00 (4 laps down)

5. Rex White, Louis Clements Chevrolet,, winning $510.00 (6 laps down)

Sixth through tenth were Ned Jarrett, Mel Bradley, Bob Welborn, Dick Getty, and Jimmy Pardue. Ray Hendrick, a true NASCAR Legend not only from the Virginia area but throughout the South finished 11th in a Rebel Racing 1961 Pontiac.

Curtis Crider was 12th, G.C. Spencer 14th, Bill Dennis 15th, Fireball Roberts 17th, Fred Harb 19th, Wendell Scott 21st, Emanuel Zervakis 24th, and Jack Smith 29th. Finishing 30th was Buck Baker, 31st Bill Champion, 32nd Elmo Langley and 33rd and last position was Southern 500 winner Larry Frank who fell out of the race on lap two with rear end problems in his Ford.

Honor the past, embrace the present, dream for the future.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Joe: Normally I just ride one of these things - not have one as my scorer.

Joe: Why do I wear a Rolex? 'cause it dang sure doesn't do any good for my scorer to have one.

Wonder if Joe pulled a Richard Childress and said "hold my watch" as he whupped the tar out of his scorer?

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 09/08/17 11:45:06PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

By 1984, NASCAR was passing out Timex watches, instead of Rolex! The blue & yellow Timex contingency decals were a good match for the Richard Chlidress and Bud Moore blue & yellow Wrangler cars of 1984, but the watches being passed out in the pits had fake leather bands made of rubber!

Scoring was still an issue in 1984, but the Timex folks were willing to tackle the issue as reported by Associated Press on April 24, 1984, the same day AP reported NASCAR finding Dale Inman on appeal still guilty as charged for a Goodyear tire buster's mistake.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Thanks, Tim, for including my Richmond "home" track today. Wish I had been there.

One thing I want to point out is that Richmond promoter Paul Sawyer's dirt races at the Atlantic Rural Exposition / Strawberry Hill track on the Virginia State Fairgrounds in Richmond (actually Henrico County, just outside the city limits) were a tremendous test of the Grand National cars' endurance.

Those two Richmond races at the fairgrounds venue were year after the two richest dirt races on the circuit and the longest as well. The 150-mile (300 lap) September race was 50 miles farther than any other scheduled NASCAR Grand National dirt race in 1962, except the spring Richmond race, which was 125 miles (250 laps). No other dirt track anywhere in NASCAR ran a race longer than 100 miles in 1962, except Richmond.

You've pointed out the 11th place finish by Richmond's "Mr. Modified" - Ray Hendrick in a rare Grand National outing. Ray had company from 4 other Richmond drivers.

Richmonder Melvin Bradley, a modified competitor of Hendrick's, posted a top-10 finish in 7th in what would be just 1 of 6 career Grand National appearances. Just two night's later in a Tuesday night Grand National race, Bradley would post a 4th place GN finish at Moyock, North Carolina's Dog Track Speedway and two weeks later score an 11th in the fall 1962 Martinsville go.

Young Richmonder, Bill Dennis would post a 15th place finish. Eight seasons later, in 1970, NASCAR would name Dennis its NASCAR Grand National Rookie of the Year. He'd go on to win three consecutive Permatex 300 Late Model Sportsman races in a row at Daytona wheeling Junie Donlavey's #90.

Richmonder, Emanuel Zervakis "The Golden Greek" - a two time GN winner, qualified 5th but left early with steering issues.

And finally, longtime NASCAR modified standout Runt Harris, originally from Fredericksburg, but living in Richmond, would drive a second Curtis Crider mount, leaving early and finishing 26th.

I hope our Richmond RR member Ray Lamm might have some photos from this event he could share on this posting.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

An Associated Press clip from the Fredericksburg, Va. Free Lance Star with little information:

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

A column on Joe Weatherly from several years back in 2008:

Not your average Joe

Before Richard Petty won the first of his seven championships, Joe Weatherly won two back to back in 1962 and 63 outdueling Petty, the yet-to-be-crowned King of NASCAR, both times.

Going into the 1964 season, Weatherly was favored to win his third straight title, something no driver had accomplished in the history of the still fledgling stock car series.

After four races, Weatherly and Petty were neck and neck heading to the road course in Riverside, Calif.

About halfway through the Motor Trend 500, the brakes on Weatherlys Mercury failed, causing him to slam drivers side into a retaining wall.

Back in those days, drivers, fearing being trapped inside a burning car, didnt wear shoulder harnesses. There were also no safety nets on the drivers side windows either.

With only a lap belt strapping him down, the impact caused Weatherlys head to jerk to the left and out of the drivers side window where it hit the retaining wall and killed him instantly. He was 41.

It hit the community pretty hard, remembers Jim Hunter, who first met Weatherly while covering stock car racing in the late 1950s as a reporter. He was everybodys favorite.

Since then, seven drivers have won back-to-back Cup titles. But only one, Cale Yarborough, has managed to complete the three-peat.

Now, with only three races remaining in this years Chase for the Sprint Cup and with a seemingly insurmountable lead in the standings, Jimmie Johnson is on the verge of becoming the second.

But what if Joe Weatherlys brakes hadnt failed?

Hard drivin, hard livin

In an era when cars were beasts that you either learned how to tame or they tamed you, Weatherly, a hard-driving Virginia native, was the talk of stock car racing.

Known as the Clown Prince of NASCAR, Weatherly sported a scar that ran from above his left eye, through his eyelid, down his cheek straight into his mouth.

There were many stories as to how he received the scar, including one in which he was injured while fighting in World War II a melodramatic tale that even Weatherly himself liked to tell.

The reality was far more mundane. It was a reminder of a tragic night as a teenager when the car he was driving slammed into a tree, killing one of the passengers and leaving Weatherly and others in the car severely injured.

Those who knew him said that Weatherly was a kind, yet aggressive young man and when he figured out how to channel his energy, he turned that aggression into success.

Before racing on four wheels, he had a successful career in motorcycle racing where he won the American Motorcycle Association (AMA) national championship three times.

In the early 1950s Weatherly made the switch to stock cars.

I like having something between my head and the ground when I crash, he allegedly told a good friend at the time.

Success on four wheels came quickly for Weatherly. He won the NASCAR Modified title in 1953 after finishing runner-up the previous year, all the while winning a remarkable 102 races during that two-year period.

It was also in 1952 when Weatherly made his first Grand National (what NASCARs premier series was known at the time) start driving for legendary Richmond team owner Junie Donlavey . It began a career of racing in NASCARs top division, where over the next 12 years Weatherly scored 25 wins and 153 top-10 finishes in only 230 races.

Had it not been for his aggressive wreckers or checkers driving style, Weatherly might have won more races during those years.

He would move you out of the way, said Hunter, recalling Weatherlys battles with the greats of the day.

Weatherly was easily spotted at the race track. He was the guy walking through the garage wearing the scuffed up black and white saddle oxford shoes, the same ones he wore when he was driving, sporting a huge smile on his face, hence the nickname.

He always had a story to tell and if you could parse what he was saying through his thick Virginia accent Youd often find yourself asking him to repeat himself and hed look at you funny and think there was something wrong with you, said Hunter it was usually a pretty good one.

Friends called him Little Joe and he was as well-known for his fast driving as he was for his fast lifestyle.

His Speedweek parties with teammate and close friend Curtis Turner , another one of NASCARs greats of the era, are legendary.

Joe and Turner used to rent a house in Daytona for Speedweeks, remembers Hunter, now NASCARs vice president of corporate communications. And it was the party pad. For writers and crew guys. Everybody came by. There were quite a few beers being drunk. Some hard whiskey, too.

Talent on loan

Weatherlys battles against Turner when the two were driving in the now defunct NASCAR convertible series in the mid-1950s are legendary. Their races often ended up with the two of them fender to fender on the final lap and had you not known they were such good friends, you might think they were the bitterest of enemies.

Often he would show up at the track on a Friday without a ride for that Sundays race. But team owners knew all too well about his ability to put just about any car in the winners circle, so Weatherly rarely went without racing.

It was, however, while driving for Bud Moore in the No. 8 Pontiac that Weatherly had his best years. From 1961 to 63, he started 109 races, earning 20 of his 25 wins and 16 poles.

Those were also the only two years of his career that Weatherly raced a full NASCAR schedule. Not coincidentally, thats when he won those back-to-back championships.

Stories and recollections about Weatherly from those who knew him have become a staple of NASCAR folklore.

He was known for his superstitious streak and a deathly fear of snakes.

While the competition never scared him, his fear of snakes led him to always carry a caged mongoose around with him, said Dale Inman, who competed against Weatherly as the crew chief for Petty.

One time at Charlotte, Lee (Petty) brought a two-foot long snake to scare Joe and we had him running all over the garage area with it, Inman remembered with a laugh.

That mongoose would have its tail sticking out of the cage, which was covered with a cloth so that you couldnt really tell what was inside of it, said Hunter. He (Weatherly) would have fun warning people to stay away from it, then pull back the cloth and that thing inside would jump right at you.

While most remember Weatherly for his jovial personality, hard-driving and hard-living style and his saddle shoes, others remember him being at the forefront of many of the things now taken for granted in NASCAR racing.

In the early days of stock car racing, there were no sponsors to help offset costs and pay the purse. Those funds came from ticket sales, and Weatherly recognized early on that the more people who came to the race, the more money there would be to split up at the end of the day.

He was smart and he was always aware that the responsibility of the driver was to sell tickets, said Hunter. Drivers today dont see their responsibility to sell tickets.

Joe was one of the originals when it came to having a track bring in a driver to help sell tickets.

Weatherly was as smart in business as he was good behind the wheel. In the mid 1950s, he partnered with Paul Sawyer , the original owner of Richmond International Raceway, and together they promoted races on several short tracks throughout Virginia.

Although he won NASCARs Most Popular Driver Award in 1961, Weatherly was more than just popular. He befriended everyone, including his fellow competitors.

He was so well liked. Everybody knew him, said Hunter. Little Joe. He couldnt walk through this garage without being stopped a thousand times, even by crew members. He was just so well liked.

His death also had an impact on NASCAR. Following his accident, NASCAR began mandating the use of the nets to help prevent such a tragedy from ever happening again.

Despite his name being adorned on a grandstand at Daytona International Speedway, ironically a track where he saw little success, very few people remember Weatherly and how good he was. His championships occupy a largely forgotten part of NASCARs history.

There are, however, the dozens of stories about Weatherly that recall a different time in the world and a different time in NASCAR.

Everybody who knew him has a few stories to tell, said Hunter.

What can you say about him? said Inman. He won a lot of races and two championships. And he was just a great guy. Thats a tough combination to find in a driver or any person.

Veteran motorsports writer Bob Margolis is Yahoo! Sports' NASCAR reporter. Send Bob a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

My abilities in foreign languages aren't much, although I used to have a Spanish drill instructor at the University of Virginia who had me read aloud to the class every day because of my excellent Spanish pronunciation, especially trilling my rrs. I studied Latin in Junior High and both French and Spanish in High School and College.

All of that foreign language intro as a preface to say how proud I am that my little Richmond hometown track that we grew up calling "Strawberry Hill" is known far and wide around the globe these days.

I can't read it, but I am able to pick out a few words from an internet post I found about my beloved Richmond track. The writer appears to be referencing the Beatles "Strawberry Fields Forever" as the headline on an IndyCar race preview from Richmond in 2008. Can any of you translate? I'm trying to highlight a few items that I recognize. It's a long ways from the days of Joe Weatherly and his buddy, Paul Sawyer . Enjoy!

Strawberry Fields Forever

vydal: Michal Beran
zveejnno: 27.6.2008, 00:15

poet koment: 15
z toho novch:
posledn: 27.6.2008 16:17

Mon se ptte, co m spolenhopsnika Beatles a Richmond International Raceway . Vlastn nic, snad jen to, e zvodn ovl, na kterm pojede v sobotu veer mstnho asu srie IndyCar svj leton devt zvod, zaal svou existenci ped vce needesti lety jako Strawberry Hill Speedway . A pestoe po tch dlouhch edest let byl tento ovl pedevm domovem zvod NASCAR , mus amerit fanouci tto srie piznat, e vbec prvn zvod na Strawberry Hill Speedway odjely monoposty.

Tento historicky prvn zvod na tehdy jet nezpevnnm povrchu plmlov drhy vyhrla jedna z legend americk formulov scny let tyictch, Ted Horn . Pokud Vm jeho jmno dnes nco pipomn, pak nejspe proto, e prv jeho rekord v potu po sob jdoucch vtzstv v ampiontech srie, ke kter se dnes hls jak IndyCar, tak bval srie Champ Cars, pekonal v loskm roce Sebastien Bourdais. Ted dokzal vyhrt nrodn ampionty v letech 1946, 1947 a 1948. Svj velk sen, vyhrt ve "Star ciheln" si vak nikdy nesplnil. Zemel na nsledky zrann ze zvodu na drze v DuQuoin 10. jna 1948.

V roce 1953 byl okruh poprv pejmenovn, tehdy na Atlantic Rural Exposition Fairgrounds , a poprv se na nm pedstavil tehdej vrcholn ampiont srie NASCAR. Dal zlomov okamik piel v roce 1955, kdy okruh zakoupili Paul Sawyer a zvodn hvzda Joe Weatherly . Sawyer pak drhu vlastnil po dlouhch 45 let a zaslouil se o mnoho prav a vylepen, kter udrely ovl na Strawberry Hill na radaru NASCAR.

V roce 1967 byl okruh znovu pejmenovn, tentokrte na Virginia State Fairgrounds Raceway. Daleko dleitj vak bylo, e v roce nsledujcm byl ovl vyasfaltovn. Poslednm vtzem na nezpevnnm povrchu se stal legendrn David Pearson , prvnm na asfaltu pak nemn znmy Richard Petty.

Posledn zsadn zmna pak probhla v roce 1988, kdy byla zahjena kompletn rekonstrukce celho arelu a ovl byl prodlouen na 0,75 mle. Zahjen prac probhlo v typicky americkm stylu okamit po dojet zvodu Pontiac Excitement 400, jeho vtzem se stal Neil Bonnet. Sm velk "King" Richard Petty vymnil volant svho Pontiacu za rajky buldozeru a za frenetickho potlesku svch fand vyrazit likvidovat star ovl. Zdali ml jeho buldozer startovn slo 43 ji historie nek. Je v n vak psno, e prce byly ukoneny ji v beznu nsledujcho roku. O dva roky pozdji pak bylo instalovno permanentn osvtlen a od t doby se na Strawberry Hill jezd pevn ve veernch hodinch.

Buddy Lazier m na S trawberry Hill rzn vzpomnky. Zatmco v roce 2001 zde s vozem tmu Hemelgarn zvtzil . . . , o rok pozdji byl aktrem dsivho poru svho vozu v pit lane. Nikdo pi nm natst nebyl zrann.

Srie IRL zavtala poprv na Strawberry Hill v roce 2001 a historicky prvnm vtzem se stal Buddy Lazier s vozem tmu Hemelgarn Racing. O rok pozdji zde pak zvtzil v jednom z nejlepch zvod sv kariry Sam Hornish, kdy porazil s vozem tmu Panther Racingfavorizovan pilotystje Penske.

Pantherm se na Strawberry Hill dailo i pozdji. V roce 2005 dojel Tomas Scheckter tvrt a n Tom Enge sedm. Krsn asy to byly, e?

Vichni ti piloti, kte jsouna prvnch tech mstech prbnho hodnocen letonho ampiontu, tedy Scott Dixon, Helio Castroneves a Dan Wheldon ji na Richmond International Raceway vahrt dokzali, vtzov poslednch dvou ronk, tedy Sam Hornish a Dario Franchitti ji srii opustili a tak sv spchy neobhj.

Pipe se tedy nkdo z vedouc trojky v Richmondu sv druh vtzstv? Nebo je poraz Marco Andretti i Tony Kanaan? Jak se povede po dalm spchu touc Danice Patrick ? Nebo snad bude Richmond mstem prvnho spchu nkterho z pilot losk CCWS? Na zodpovzen tchto otzek si budeme muset v nedli pivstat. Ale myslm, e to bude stt za to.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Here's the September 9, 1962 26th place finisher Gaither "Runt" Harris driving car #91 at Richmond in an "Open Comp" stock car race at the Atlantic Rural Exposition / Strawberry Hill / Virginia State Fairgrounds 1/2-mile dirt oval in the early 1950s. Photo published at 181Coastal:

When it was run what ya brung time in the early fifties, it was time to beware of Hornets. This was an open comp show on the Richmond, VA, Fairgrounds dirt, and it was won handily by Leon Sales in Aubrey Ferrells Hudson. World-class racer RUNT HARRIS could do little but watch from his apparently street legal 1940 Ford sedan. From EARLY DIRT RACERS: Virginia/Carolina Auto Racing 1952-1956, Vol. 2 , by Bill Mangum.

Leon Sales in the above photo from Richmond, was from Winston-Salem, NC and would start 8 career GN races from 1950-1952. Just 20 days after the inaugural Southern 500, Sales would win the Wilkes 200 at North Wilkesboro driving the same #98 Hubert Westmoreland (Bill France) Plymouth driven by Johnny Mantz on Labor Day at Darlington.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

And here's Runt Harris on the same Strawberry Hill / A.R.E. Richmond track wheeling Junie Donlavey's famed Swansboro Motor Company #90 on April 8, 1952. That ride would be taken over for a number of years by Sonny Hutchins for Junie.

News Photo: Early1950s Modified stock car driver Gaither “Runt” Harris…

Title:

Runt Harris - Richmond Strawberry Hill Speedway

Caption: RICHMOND, VA Early1950s: Modified stock car driver Gaither Runt Harris, in the Junie Donlavey ride, didnt let the fact his left front tire was about to come off the rim keep him from racing hard in this event at Strawberry Hill Speedway. (Photo by ISC Images & Archives via Getty Images)
Date created: 08 Apr 1952

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

The old oak trees in the infield midway along the backstretch and heading toward turn three are visible in this Adolph Rice Studio aerial of the Atlantic Rural Exposition track at Richmond.

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

You may ask , what does the Beatles song and Richmond International Raceway. Nothing really , except for the fact that the racing oval , which will go on Saturday night local time IndyCar series this year his ninth race began its existence for more than sixty years ago as Strawberry Hill Speedway. And even after those long sixty years, this oval primarily home to NASCAR races , the American fans of the series admit that the first ever race at Strawberry Hill Speedway departed seaters .

The first ever race at the then unpaved runway surface plmlov won one of the legends of American formula scene forties , Ted Horn . If you get his name sounds familiar today , then probably because it was his record for consecutive victories in the championships series , to which today reported both IndyCar and Champ Cars former series , surpassing last year's Sebastien Bourdais . Ted was able to win national championships in 1946 , 1947 and 1948. His big dream to win the " Old Brickworks ' , however, never failed . He died of injuries from the race on the track at DuQuoin 10th jna 1948.

In 1953 the circuit was renamed for the first time , then the Atlantic Rural Exposition Fairgrounds , and was first introduced him to the then top NASCAR championship series . Another turning point came in 1955 , when the circuit Paul Sawyer bought a racing star Joe Weatherly . Sawyer then owned the track after a long 45 years , he has helped many modifications and improvements that keep the oval on Strawberry Hill on the radar NASCAR .

In 1967 the circuit was again renamed , this time to Virginia State Fairgrounds Raceway. Far more important , however, was that in the following year was paved oval . The last winner of the dirt has become legendary David Pearson , first on asphalt then less known Richard Petty .

The last major change then took place in 1988 , when it was launched a complete reconstruction of the area and the oval was extended to 0.75 miles . Start of work took place in a typical American-style immediately after finishing the race Pontiac Excitement 400, whose winner was Neil Bonnet . The great " King " Richard Petty changed the wheel of his Pontiac for Rajk bulldozer and frenetic applause of their fans go disposing of an old oval. Whether he had his bulldozer start number 43 has history says . Is it not written that the work was completed in March next year. Two years later he was installed permanent lighting and from then on Strawberry Hill runs mainly in the evening.

Buddy Lazier at Strawberry Hill has different memories . While in 2001 there with the car Hemelgarn team won. . . A year later, the actor dreadful fire of his car in the pit lane . No one was fortunately not injured.

Series IRL visited for the first time at Strawberry Hill in 2001 and the first ever winner was Buddy Lazier with Hemelgarn Racing car team . A year later, he won one of the best races of his career, Sam Hornish , beating the car Panther Racing Stables Penske pilots favored .

Panthers at Strawberry Hill fared even later. In 2005, he finished fourth Tomas Scheckter and Tomas Enge our seventh. Beautiful times it was that ?

All three pilots , who are the top three ongoing evaluation of the championship , that Scott Dixon , Helio Castroneves and Dan Wheldon already at Richmond International Raceway Vahr proven winners of the last two years , that Sam Hornish and Dario Franchitti already left the series and so their achievements fails to defend .

Therefore shall be credited with one of the leading trio in Richmond, his second victory? Or beat Marco Andretti and Tony Kanaan ? How will the continued success desiring Danica Patrick ? Or maybe Richmond will be the first point of the success of one of the pilots last year's CCWS ? To answer these questions we have to get up early on Sunday . But I think it will be worth it .

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

A nod of the head in TMC-Chase's direction!

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Thanks. I'm often quite skilled at ciphering thru gibberish. Or using Google Translate.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

LOL!

--
Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
11 years ago
560 posts

Reply To Dave:The old oak trees in the infield midway along the backstretch and heading toward turn three are visible in this Adolph Rice Studio aerial of the Atlantic Rural Exposition track at Richmond.
====================================================================================================
Dang Old Oak Tree, Richmond 500, 4-13-69

Dang Old Oak Tree, Richmond 500, 4-13-69 in photo of #56 race car, driver Ed Hessert, car owner Lyle steller, '69 Mercury

#56 race car, driver Ed Hessert, Richmond 500, 4-13-69

To the right of "Dang Old Oak Tree", at least 3 race fans in trees behind white fence

Thanks for any informaton or photos posted.
Dennis Garrett
Richmond,Va. USA

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Lol! I remember reading your post about the oak tree getting in the way when you tried out your new camera, Dennis!

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

What I wouldn't give to see that great bunch of drivers on the Richmond dirt one more time.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

Before winning stock car races on the Richmond dirt for Bud Moore, Joe Weatherly had already clinched the AMA National Motorcycle Championship on the same Richmond half-mile:

Eddie Boomhower Collection Photo

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

Here's Associated Press coverage from the Daytona paper of Weatherly's 1962 Capital City 300 win at Richmond:

--