Racing History Minute - March 6, 1952

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

Jacksonville Speedway was a typical half-mile dirt track of the era. Located in Jacksonville, Florida, the track was more akin to "sand" than "dirt" but not to quibble over semantics. On this date, March 6, in 1952, twenty-nine drivers would enter a 100 mile/200 lap race. Sixty-one cars had competed in the event on Daytona Beach just three weeks prior and that event was captured by the duo become known as "T&T". Those being Marshall Teague and Herb Thomas, both driving FABULOUS Hudson Hornets.

Marshall Teague would qualify his Hudson at a speed of 60.100 mph to capture the pole for the race. Herb Thomas in the other FABULOUS Hudson would start second. Tommy Moon, a Jacksonville local driver with a large fan following would qualify third in a Hudson and Tim Flock fourth in yet another Hudson. Leonard Tippett, also in a Hudson, would start fifth.

A "crowd" of 2,800 fans gathered in the stands and infield to watch the race. Even the drawing card of local hero Tommy Moon could not draw in more. It was Tommy Moon, however, who gave the fans something for which they could stomp their feet and cheer loudly. On lap one of the race, Tommy completely flipped his Hudson which landed on its wheels on the final landing. Tommy simply put the big Hudson in low gear and took off to race. The crowd was going wild as Tommy moved through the field and ended up bringing his battered Hudson home in fifth place.

As for competition, although first place was contested between Teague and Thomas at times, it was Teague all the way as he led all 200 laps. He finished the 100 miles at an average speed of 55.197 mph which was slowed by one caution flag for a total of four laps. The caution was displayed on lap 149 when Bill Miller crashed his Ford sponsored by Daytona Racing.

Finishing Order:

1 Marshall Teague, FABULOUS Hudson Hornet, $1,000.00

2 Herb Thomas, FABULOUS Hudson Hornet, $700.00

3 Frankie Schneider, ROCKET Olds 88, $450.00

4 Tim Flock, Ted Chester Hudson, $350.00

5 Tommy Moon, Hudson Hornet, $200.00

6 Fonty Flock

7 Donald Thomas

8 Jim Reed

9 Dick Eagan

10 Bob Moore

11 Billy Carden

12 Jimmy Florian

13 Leonard Tippett

14 Bob Dugan

15 Gordon Bishop

16 Roscoe Thompson

17 Bill Miller

18 Johnny Thompson

19 Charles Stock

20 Larry Shurter

21 Jimmy Ayers

22 Lee Petty

23 Jim Paschal

24 Fireball Roberts

25 Buddy Shuman

26 Bruce Atchley

27 Ed Samples

28 Gober Sosebee

29 Alan Clark

PERSONAL NOTE: I assume that Tommy Moon's flip and fifth place finish was much more impressive than the Carl Edward's flip after he wins. Just a thought.

Honor the past, embrace the present, dream for the future.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

Bump

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.