A Petty Anniversary Remembered as King Returns to NASCAR at Richmond

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Richard Petty is set to return to the track at Richmond this weekend following the death of wife, Lynda Petty in March.

The 2014 spring Cup race at Richmond marks the 25th anniversary of Richard failing to qualify for the spring 1989 Pontiac Excitement 400 at Richmond. That was a day big on drama and resulted in what became known as the Petty Rule and Past Champion's Provisional.

National Speed Sport News photo

The Petty family is the only family to have three generations of drivers win in NASCAR Cup racing. We welcome Richard back to the only venue - Richmond - where all three generations won Cup races and where Richard is the all-time winner.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 03/30/18 06:57:39AM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Excerpt from 2012 NASCAR News Release

--
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

I remember hearing that news and couldn't believe "my guy" was going home. I think he made the right decision. I know that provisional is considered "The Petty Rule" but exactly how many times did he have to use it? Seems there were others who took much more advantage of that "rule" than Richard ever did. But I don't need to defend Richard Petty. His record and his life, speak for themselves.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

About a month ago, I posted about that jaw-dropping turn of events on Easter weekend of 1989.

http://racersreunion.com/community/forum/stock-car-racing-history/31529/march-26-1989-a-dismal-day-for-petty-enterprises

Though Richard's better racing days were behind him, no one could have expected him to miss the show. His DNQ cut deeper because of his winning days over the years at Richmond (though the 1989 race was on the new 3/4 mile surface). Plus, the race was the Pontiac Excitement 400 - and no one could have been excited about seeing the 43 Pontiac loaded up on Friday.

Truly hard to believe its been a quarter of a century. When the teams returned to Richmond that fall for the Miller High Life 400, things weren't much better for the Level Cross team. The 43 made the field, but he DNFd with a failed clutch and damage to the rear end.

I prefer to think of brighter 25th Year Petty moments such as his 25th year in racing in 1983 and 25th year with STP in 1996 with Bobby Hamilton as driver.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 03/23/17 03:12:45PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Petty makes emotional return at Richmond
NASCAR.com

By Holly Cain

RICHMOND, Va. -- Donning his trademark cowboy hat and wide grin, Richard Petty posed for photographs with children from the local Children's Miracle Network Hospital Friday morning at Richmond International Raceway.

It was the first time the Hall of Famer had been at a race track since his beloved wife of 55 years, Lynda, 72, passed away on March 25. And beyond the smiles, handshakes and polite greetings, it was obvious NASCAR's "King" was still grieving, still hurting.

His voice was soft and quivered at times speaking with a small handful of reporters.

"I'm still surviving," Petty said, his voice full of emotion. "I'm just going to have to live. ... (pause) It's going to be different, you know. Start all over again.

"Been fortunate all the kids came home for Easter and all the kids and grandkids and that really made things good."

Petty said the three races he missed during the last month mark the longest span away from the track -- ever -- and he's hopeful that being back will be a welcome distraction from what's been a sorrowful month.

"I just felt like I needed to sort of have a little time on our own, to be gone for two, three weeks," Petty said, pausing.

"But I'm back in the saddle now, learning to live all over again.

"The things we were supposed to do for the past three weeks were kinda put off, so we started Monday and we were in Georgia Monday, on Tuesday we were in Tennessee, Wednesday in Wyoming and got up there Thursday.

"The busier they keep me, the better it's going to be."

Both Marcos Ambrose and Richard Petty Motorsports teammate Aric Almirola expressed how pleased they were to have the boss trackside again -- important not only for the team, but also for Petty.

"He's our leader, he's the face of our race team," Almirola said. "To have him back and have him back on top of the trailer, back in the garage area is going to be big for me as a driver, but really big for our entire race team just to have his presence. It will be huge."

Petty acknowledged that he has been so genuinely touched by the outpouring of support from within the NASCAR community during this difficult time and seemed to perk up when speaking fondly of Lynda, even laughing at one recollection.

"It's just great that many people knew Lynda, of course she's been around a long time, too," Petty said smiling. "She never met a stranger. Every once in awhile I'd come in the house and see people I didn't even know; she'd invited them into the house, spend the night whatever.

"Again, it's just going to be different (for me)," he added.

Petty was especially moved to be a part of Friday's event with fans, children and Ambrose's No. 9 Stanley Ford racing team. Petty helped present a $100,000 check to the Children's Miracle Network Hospitals and was enthusiastic about supporting the "Racing for a Miracle" program.

If Ambrose wins Saturday night's Toyota Owners 400, Stanley -- through the Ace Hardware Foundation -- will donate $1 million to the program. If he finishes second, the company will write a check for $500,000, and a third-place finish would net $250,000.

Petty said spending time with the children was as good for him as it was for them.

"We've got troubles but a lot of other people have troubles and so ? like you see it with Victory Junction Gang Camp, we were so fortunate," Petty said. "We had four kids and 12 grandkids and every one of them is perfectly healthy and then you look around at all these others that aren't.

"You just want to give back."

In this case, it appeared to be working both ways.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

The 9 Richmond cover Pontiacs are as follows:

#27 Rusty Wallace Raymond Beadle/Kodiak

#75 Morgan Shepherd Rahmoc/Valvoline

#43 Richard Petty Petty Enterprises/STP

#42 Kyle Petty Sabco/Peak AntiFreeze

#29 Dale Jarrett Cale Yarborough/Hardee's

#30 Michael Waltrip Chuck Rider/Country Time Lemonade

#68 Derrike Cope Jim Testa/Purolator

#88 Greg Sacks Buddy Baker/Crisco

#57 Hut Stricklin Rod Osterlund/Heinz Ketchup

In addition to Richard Petty, the cover featured Pontiacs of Kyle Petty and Hut Stricklin failed to make the race, along with the unpictured Pontiacs of Ken Bouchard, JD McDuffie and Jimmy Means. Pontiacs driven by Ernie Irvan, Jim Sauter and Mickey Gibbs made the race, but not the program cover.

A staggering 10 Cup cars went home and 36 started. The field at Richmond was later expanded to 43 cars.

--