Racing History Minute - August 7, 1949

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
9 years ago
4,073 posts

NASCAR's newly launched Strictly Stock division ran its first race in Charlotte on June 19, 1949 [ Racing History Minute ]. Race number two was July 10, 1949 on the legendary Daytona beach and road course [ Racing History Minute ]. The drivers returned to North Carolina for race #3 - a 200-lap race on the one-mile, dirt Occoneechee Raceway.

Even though NASCAR didn't brand it's own convertible division until 1956, Earl Allbright planned to enter his Pontiac ragtop in the show. For reasons unclear to me, however, I can't find anything to indicate Allbright actually showed up to participate. His name also doesn't appear in the results of any other NASCAR convertible or GN race.

Earl and I'm supposing a relative, W.P. Allbright (or Albright?) were featured as local Burlington, NC area drivers who had planned to enter. In addition, Hubert Westmoreland planned to race the same car he'd provided Glenn Dunnaway at Charlotte 2 months earlier - but was then subsequently disqualified.

Westmoreland, of course, went on to have involvement with NASCAR as a car owner. But for whatever reason, he didn't race at Hillsboro giving the Burlington crowd an 0'fer for their contingent.

A big story line for the race was the scheduled entries by two women - Sara Christian and Louise Smith. Unlike the Albrights, the two ladies DID make the race. Both had somewhat of an impact on the race.

A clearer version of the photo of Sara Christian.

A remarkably large crowd was expected for the race. I really have no idea if Occoneechee could accommodate 25,000 fans or if Bill France and the folks at the track just trumped up a number to help hype the race. Either way, it seems there was an awful lot of interest in the fledgling new series.

In pre-race practice, Louise Smith had a wild ride. She tumbled and demolished her car but apparently was not injured. After being extricated from the car, she posed with her wrecked sedan as if it were a prize fishing catch.

Bob Flock won the pole, but the rest of the line-up seems to have been lost to the dustbin of history. A 28-car field is reflected in the records I've found. Louise Smith is credited with 27th - only one spot better than last place finisher Sterling Long. After her practice crash, I'm not sure if she belted into a replacement car - or if she was given a near last place finish because of her attempt to start the race. Hopefully someone here knows if she actually took the green flag.

Just shy of 40 laps into the race, Sara Christian had a wreck of her own. Matt McLaughlin wrote about the incident:

Sara Christian set off the worst of the wrecks. Her 47 Ford broke a wheel and while she was trying to limp the cars to the pits she was hit by Felix Wilkes in a huge Lincoln. The two cars completely blocked the track and another pair of cars, including that of points leader Red Byron, barreled into the wreck.

I haven't found a detailed race report. But in a preview of races at Lakeview Speedway and Bowman Gray, the writer notes the Flock family had been on a roll. The article also notes no one mounted much of a challenge to Bob during the race at Occoneechee.

Fin Driver Car
1 Bob Flock '48 Oldsmobile
2 Gober Sosebee '49 Oldsmobile
3 Glenn Dunaway '49 Oldsmobile
4 Fonty Flock '47 Buick
5 Bill Snowden '49 Chevrolet
6 Bill Blair '49 Oldsmobile
7 Tim Flock '49 Oldsmobile
8 Otis Martin '48 Ford
9 Lee Petty '49 Plymouth
10 Buddy Helms '47 Hudson
11 Bobby Greene '48 Ford
12 J.D. Edwards
13 Bob Apperson '47 Ford
14 Frank Smith
15 Jim Roper '49 Lincoln
16 Bill Harrison
17 B.E. Renfro '49 Hudson
18 Garland Smith
19 Jim Carrusso
20 Curtis Turner '46 Buick
21 Bob Smith '49 Oldsmobile
22 Red Byron '49 Oldsmobile
23 Sara Christian '47 Ford
24 Felix Wilkes '49 Lincoln
25 Jimmie Lewallen '49 Lincoln
26 Herb Thomas '47 Ford
27 Louise Smith '47 Ford
28 Sterling Long '46 Hudson

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

Terrific research on this, Chase. I hope LaVerne Zachary is reading.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
9 years ago
4,073 posts

Eventually found a brief race report in the Index-Journal of Greenwood, SC.

--
LAVERNE ZACHARY
@laverne-zachary
9 years ago
117 posts

# 55 was third place finisher Glenn Dunnaway

# 7 was winner Bob Flock

Other photos were of the Sara Christian,Felix Wilkes,Red Byron accident

From the Bill King Collection

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
9 years ago
4,073 posts

Apologies to Tim Leeming who first posted about this race two years ago. I searched liked the dickens this morning - on RacersReunion AND Google and didn't get a hit on August 7. Lo and behold, this evening I found Tim's original post. Consider mine as a supplement to Tim's from 2013:

http://racersreunion.com/community/forum/stock-car-racing-history/25993/racing-history-minute-august-7-1949

--

updated by @tmc-chase: 08/07/17 12:16:15PM