Racing History Minute - August 7, 1949

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

The third race for the "Strickly Stock" divison of NASCAR racing, which became Grand National, then Winston Cup, then Nextel Cup, then Sprint Cup, and now often referenced as "NASCAR's Premier Series" occurred on this date in 1949. What makes it extra special for our purposes is that the race happened on the one mile dirt track known as Occoneechee Speedway, located in Hillsboro, NC. The event was 200 laps/200 miles and would start 28 cars. The reason it is "extra special" is because, thanks to a dedicated group of individuals collectively known as "The Historic Speedway Group", fans can return each year to see this historic track.

My first trip to the now annual "Celebration of the Automobile" was four years ago. Work was on going at the time to restore parts of the speedway to a more representative appearance of what it was like during the early days of the sport. Last year, 2012, so much had been done you could almost imagine a race being held there within a few months. Oh, they put cars on the track for the purposes of "parade laps" but those quickly turned into a little more than a parade. Although there was no flat out racing such as was once experienced there, the boys were getting a little fiesty behind the wheels of those vintage race cars.

The annual event at Occoneechee is coming up September 28th, just over a month away. You can check out the website, www.historicspeedwaygroup.org , and please note it is "dot ORG" for more information. Last year, it literally poured rain throughout most of the day but it did not dampen the spirits of the hundreds of folks in attendance. I hope to see many of you there with me this year to experience a true trip down memory lane that will stay with the race fan forever.

Now, onto the History Minute for today. As already stated, the third race in the new series created by Big Bill to showcase production passenger cars was run at the Occoneechee Speedway on this date in 1949. Records for the event from my source do not provide information as to qualifying positions, margin of victory or reasons for many of the cars to be out of the race. The record does, however, tell us that 17,500 fans showed up to cheer on their favorites and to reinforce Big Bill's theory that fans would support a series dedicated to the cars they could buy from the showroom. Back then, win on Sunday (or any other day of the week) and sell on Monday was applicable to car dealerships.

It is noted that on lap 38 of the event, Sara Christain, a highly regarded female driver (yep they raced in the early days too) lost a wheel on her Ford on lap 38th and attempted to bring the car to the pits. A big Lincoln, driven by Felix Wilkes came off turn four and smashed right into Sara's car. The two now tangled vehicles blocked the front straight as Red Byron came flying off turn four and right into the tangled mass of Ford/Lincoln. As if staged for the grandstand full of fans, the accident was presented right before them. Later in the event, Bob Smith in an Oldsmobile crashed out of the event in a less spectacular fashion. No driver was injured in any crash.

In the latter stages of the race, it was a Flock-on-Flock affair, with Bob leading and Tim putting on the pressure to take over. However, with only ten laps remaining, Tim Flock's Oldsmobile broke a right front spindle and he was out of the race, leaving Bob to take the win. Of the three Strickly Stock races run, this was the second consecutive win for Oldsmobile. Remember, a Lincoln won the first race after the Ford was disqualified for beefed up springs. Jim Roper, Red Byron and now Bob Flock, were winners in the first three races of the new series.

Top five finishers:

1. Bob Flock, Bob Flock Garage Oldsmobile, winning $2,000.00

2. Gober Sosesbee, Cherokee Garage Oldsmobile, winning $1,000.00

3. Glen Dunnaway, Dunnaway Oldsmobile, winning $500.00 **

4. Fonty Flock, Ed Lawrence Buick, winning $300.00

5. Bill Snowden, Al Wagoner Chevrolet, winning $200.00

** Glen Dunnaway was flagged the winner of the first event of this series run on June 19, 1949, at Charlotte Speedway. He was, however, disqualified when a post race inspection of his Hubert Westmoreland Ford found "beefed up" springs. The Ford was beefed up to haul moonshine, so they say, but it was not "strickly stock" so the win was taken from Glen and given to Jim Roper driving a Lincoln.

Sixth through tenth were Bill Blair, Tim Flock, Otis Martin, Lee Petty, and Buddy Helms. Jim Roper is credited with 15th, Curtis Turner 20th, Red Byron 22nd, Sara Christen 23rd Jimmie Lewallen 25th, Herb Thomas 26th, Louise Smith 27th and Sterling Long 28th and final position.

If you attend the event coming up September 28th, you will most likely have the opportunity to meet sons, daughters, and wives of some of the folks who competed in this event. It is a very tangible part of the history of this great sport that we here at RacersReunion honor and support.

Honor the past, embrace the present, dream for the future

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

I haven't found an article about the race itself. But Sosebee's 2nd place finish in it was mentioned in the preview / promo for a Curtis Turner-Fonty Flock match race and other events at Lakeview Speedway a week later.

Source: The Dispatch

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

I am sure there will be those at the event on September 28th that can tell us all about this race! I hope so

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

LAVERNE ZACHARY
@laverne-zachary
11 years ago
117 posts

Tim how about if I give you a couple pictures.Picture one is Bob Flock in the winning car #7.The other 2 are the aftermath of the Sarah Christian wreck.Thanks to the late Bill King for these photos.And thanks Tim for your story.See you in September.

LAVERNE ZACHAY

HISTORIC SPEEDWAY GROUP

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Laverne!!!! Thank you! Those pictures add so much to this History Minute. I very much appreciate you adding these to the post. Yes Sir, sounds like that old song from you youth "See you in September". You will and I am looking so forward to the 28th.

By the way, several of us in RacersReunion are going to meet at The NASCAR Hall of Fame on Thursday, August 22nd. It would be wonderful if you can make it. Nothing formal, just a day for exploring some more history.

Again, thank you for such a great contribution to the history.

--

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

Bump with link to my supplemental post from 2 years later:

http://racersreunion.com/community/forum/stock-car-racing-history/37175/racing-history-minute-august-7-1949

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.