Rule change

Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
12 years ago
835 posts

When LeeRoy Yarbrough returned to Daytona in 1970 he was going for 3 in row and was in the news for causing NASCAR to make a rule change. He had won both GN races at the speedway in 1969 in the Herb Nab prepared Ford Talladega #98. There was something a little different about the car in the '69 Firecracker 400 and in '70 Big Bill made sure it was like everyone else.

What was it that cuased the rule change?

updated by @dennis-andrews: 12/25/16 06:28:18AM
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

Was it that Mercury Comet he drove in the firecracker 400 ?

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

Only thing I can remember was there was a rash of wings that came into play after he blew everyone off the tacks with that Comet

Blane Moon
@blane-moon
12 years ago
113 posts

At the Daytona 500 in '69, Junior changed the exhaust pipes on LeeRoy's Torino Talladega sunday morning. He installed exhaust pipes to exit the rear of the car. Thislimited the amount of drafting off LeeRoy's car, causing the engine temp to rise on the car drafting. LeeRoy won that day, passing Charlie Glotzbach, in Cotton Owens Dodge, on the lastlap. After that race, all exhaust must exit the side of the car.

Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
12 years ago
835 posts

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner! Blane nailed it.

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
12 years ago
907 posts

The exhaust pipes ran to the rear bumper, to prevent drafting.

Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
12 years ago
835 posts

Thanks Jim, You know more than the one asking the question. The pipes having to come out the side was what I was looking for. All these other details make iteven more interesting. That is one of the really cool things about this site, there is always someone to learn from. I had read an article from Feb. '70 that told of the rule change but did not give the date of the change. I assumed it was new for the Daytona 500 that year, now you know what that makes me don't you, LOL.

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
12 years ago
907 posts

PKL, I thought the same thing.......the rear exhaust pipes would likely break up the tandem drafting........but I can hear the counter-arguments now......"the inherent dangers of hot exhaust pipes in the proximity of the fuel cell............. etc. etc."