SHELBY SPEEDWAY

Don Moore
@don-moore
12 years ago
5 posts
Whats up at SHELBY I HAVE BEEN TO EVERY RACE BUT ITHE RULES SEEM TO CHANGE EVERY WEEKIATTEND WITH A FRIEND WHO HAS 2 cars and I also have one, as do other vintage racers as well that all have cars that are true vintage cars a d meet the original rules,That were posted but seem to change every week.This is why the car count is so low, you don't have to have a demolition derby every Friday nite to have a vintage race.Once the track mgmt realizes this and changesa few rules andEnforces the rest the cars will come.
updated by @don-moore: 12/05/16 04:07:53PM
bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
12 years ago
820 posts
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

Im one of those sexy senior citizens you two loosely referring to -----B U T---I think somehow Bill you have gotten more than one class mixed in with a good ole Short track race.. Now mind you its my opinion only but there is a set of rules wrote down here on R/R that separates the fenders and tires from the fenderless and steam rollers..you can always yank on "W"s chain and get clarification. Ive never been anywhere to race that everybody was happy all nite... Remember dont jump the flag now..

Michael W. Smith
@michael-w-smith
12 years ago
109 posts

Thank you Johnny. Some times I wonder if people can read. Also if anybody ever started anything from just a dreamthey would realize that sometimes you need to adjust it as you go. W don't quit he works and works and works to get it right no matter how many times it needs ajusted.And just for the record we don't race vintage cars. We race vintage looking cars. They are much faster and and in mose casessafer. Please read the rulesand and it will be clear what we are doing in Shelby. Thanks W

Frank Hager
@frank-hager
12 years ago
32 posts

Dyno Don,

I've kept my mouth shut for several weeks after being DQ'd up there after doing nothing more than showing up to race after receiving an invite and OK by all the owners and drivers the previous race that they didn't have a problem with my car running.

I have a story to tell ya' about one of your buddies. I'll give ya' the detailed version next time I see ya'.

Here's the condensed version: "W"stopped down and spent a couple of hours with your buddy several weeks ago looking for advice to get more cars.

Now your buddy left outa' Shelby with $2,500 in his pocket after two races. Not too bad for a $4,000 investment in a car thatI found for him. The advice given "W" was to make sure the cars that run there look like his. This was reinforced to me by "W" himself the night I was DQ'd.

So, "W" doesn't have a clue as to what he wants to run there, except he wants it to look like your buddies car.

Just make sure your tires don't stick out past the bodywork more than 5", even though there's a picture of an open wheeled modified on their web site. (might be gone now, I don't know 'cause I haven't looked recently).

Having an old car that folks in the grandstand can identify with doesn't count for nothing up there. But bring a cut up beyond all recognition car up there that doesn't look like anything ever produced and you're welcome to run, just so long as the tiresstick out less than 5".

Frank Hager
@frank-hager
12 years ago
32 posts

Bill,

Do yourself a favor and stay home. The Friday nightrules state '37 and later, so your're already illegal.

You won't be welcome with no fenders. The 8 1/2" tire thing isn't valid.

There is no real deal unless your tires stick out less than 5" past the bodywork.

Frank

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

This is the Best way I know of to ruin a great thing for everyone involved. This thread of discussion isnt solving nothing but it is creating bad feelings. ALL AROUND!!

Everbody wants to race, ok you got a track thats competitive but not fast. good for the show and good on equipt. you even have a purse to compete for. If any of you ran back in the day you ran for less than this. Now from whats being said it sounds like a He said She said debate.

If you got a Bitch all yall set down and get it straight between everyone involved. If not soon you will be looking at them cars setting under the old shade tree ---------------------A G A I N . Thats my take on this and I bet I have way more support than you think... See you in turn 4----------------------------------memories

Frank Hager
@frank-hager
12 years ago
32 posts

Johnny,

If this Shelby deal is so great, why doesn't "W" have 20-30 cars in the pits running for that purse you reference? I agreed to run just for tow money, not purse money.

This isn't a "Bitch" session, it's a "matter of fact" session. I could discuss more facts about what I saw happening there, but won't.

If I wanted, Icould go back there with any of three other"legal" race cars I have inmy race car stable, but I doubt I will. All I wanted was tohave some fun and cultivate some fan interest in the old coupes & coaches. It didn't work out and that's OK. I view it as "W"s loss. I'll save my time, energy and money for something else that's more appreciated.

With that all said, I still wish "W" much success with his "Field of Dreams", and I'm sincere when I say that.

Now, back to work on my '56 Ford race car.

Michael W. Smith
@michael-w-smith
12 years ago
109 posts

Frank settle down. Everything will be Okay. You are allowed to bitch at me. Everyone else does it's no big deal. You do your deal and I'll do mine. We are doing great here in Shelby. I got a great staff now and am looking forward to several more races this year and next. Would love to run the old stuff it's neat.Maybe someday?The GODS series is just a diferent deal.We have been getting 30-40 cars in all and are starting to make a little money. There still are a few that complain about things, guess they don't like change. They keep coming back though. That's part of the sport. We will keep improving and going forward. Good luck on the 56 bet it's cool! W

Don Moore
@don-moore
12 years ago
5 posts

W I VERY MUCH APPRECIATE EVERY THING YOU ARE TRYING TO DO AT SHELBY. I WAS PLEASED TO READ YOUR POST ON THE OTHER SITE CONCERNING RULES AND ENFORCEMENT OF THEM. EVEN THOUGH THIS IS BLOW TO THE SEVEN CAR AND CREW HOPEFULLY THEY WILL CHANGE BODIES AND RETURN TO THE TRACK.

I ALSO UNDERSTAND YOUR STATEMENT THAT THE RACES ARE NOT VINTAGE RACES AND THE CARS ARE MEANT TO BE VINTAGE LOOKING CARS,HOWEVER THE 8CAR IS A VINTAGE CAR AND

CHASSIS AND HOLDS ITS OWN PRETTY WELL. ALL I WAS TRYING TO SAY EARLYIER WAS THAT THEY ARE 3 VINTAGE CLUBS AND WELL OVER 20 CARS WHICTH DO MEET YOUR RULES AND SEVERAL HAVE CAME AND RAN BUT HAVE NOY RETURNED MABE NOW THEY WILL RETURN AND

GIVE IT ANOTHER SHOT. THEN WE CAN SEE HOW FAST THEY ARE. IF MY CAR WAS A V8 INSTEAD OF A 6 CYL I WOULD COME TO RACE BUT I WILL ENCOURAGE THE V8 GUYS TO COME.

GOOD LUCK

DYNO DON

AR

RACES

Michael W. Smith
@michael-w-smith
12 years ago
109 posts

Thank you Don that means a lot to me. I hope they do come back because I did it all for them. And yoru right DW does a lot more then hold his own he is an awesome race car driver. He could run up front in anything.Any one that has aGODS race car is welcome back anytime I don't have the man power to enforceanything that is under the body that is why the GODS rules are like they are. There is nothing worse then making rules and not having the resorces or man power to enforce them. Going foward we are going to require that every GODS race car has a stock all steel body. No exceptions. If they call ita 1971 Ford, Chevy, Dodge or whatever it better look like it did when it came from the factory as the rules spell outor it won't pass tech.Thanks to RacerReunion for allowing all of us to vent our concerns. Proud Member! W

Frank Hager
@frank-hager
12 years ago
32 posts

Glad you're doing OK up there. As I prevously said, I wish you and your crew much success.

We never had a good gauge to measure the performance of the coupe to your current crop of cars. That's unfortunate for both of us because it may have influenced your decision making and eventual number of cars coming to race.

I had a vision of an coupe/coach class in the future. There's a serious number of potential coupe/coach race cars in the Charlotte area just waiting for a place to run. Many are northern/mid-Atlantic transplants working in Mooresville with a background running less fenders.

Here's a suggestion for you. Next time a guy shows up that's been there before to support your effort, let him race that night and then tell him not to come back if they're gonna' be DQ'd. The worst penalty you can give a true racer is telling him/she that can't race, especially when they work so hard on their stuff to get there.

In this and a like situation it would havebeen better for both concerned parties if you talked directly to the person and not send an intermediary that's down in your chain of command.

The total experience disapponts the driver, crew and fans in the stands that came to watch their driver perform. None will probably return in the future.

Also, as you are aware, you're in the entertainment business. The racing is just a venue to compete for those entertainment dollars.

As for my comments, my more than decade longwork as a sponsor and race tire representative with several major televisedrace series gives me a significant amount of training and education that others don't have.

Michael W. Smith
@michael-w-smith
12 years ago
109 posts

I'm working on things Frank. Like I said Frank wewould love to have you bring one of your legal GODS cars over and play. I respect what you have done for our sport and am very sorry we got off on the wrong foot. Our new deal puts me here for years to come and We really would love to bring in Bell & Bell like cars. W