Hard Charging Racing by Bell & Bell Vintage Modified Racing Series

Patsy Thompkins ~ Keisler
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts

Brunswick County Drivers Take Home a Piece of The Rattlesnake

There was some hard-charging racing Aug. 3 at Dublin Motor Speedway by The Bell & Bell Vintage Modified Racing Series. With a field of 17 Vintage cars, the track known as The Rattlesnake had plenty of bite this night.With two points races left this season, Cameron Norris III, of Sandy Creek, in his # c3 1935 Ford Coupe continues to dominate the V8 Division. Norris has won four of the last five races, giving up one victory to Jeremy Cumbee, of Supply, in his V8 1939 Chevy Coupe.This race dropped Cumbee back eight points behind Norris, who leads with 100. Cumbee seemed to be running well but was getting loose coming off the turns.

Joey Babson, of Shallotte, won in the 6-cylinder division, driving the Bill Tripp-owned 1933 Chevy Skeeter. That was the last time the car will run a race. Tripp has decided to retire it and possibly allow it to rest at Memory Lane Museum in Mooresville.

Jay Royal, of Southport, in his 1935 Ford found his way into the guardrail after spinning in turn four. Royal said his car was fast, but it was wicked loose. He said the only real damage done was to the "ego" part of the driving system. He finished eighth and dropped to fourth from third in points.Even this late in the season, the number of cars in The Bell & Bell Vintage Series continues to increase.

William Horrell, a former dirt-track driver who was a Winston Cup fabricator with Hoss Ellington Racing, Derrike Cope and Jim Testa Racing, made his debut Aug. 3 in the series. He is originally from Wilmington but now resides in Florence, S.C.Horrell recalled the last time he raced on dirt: 1982 at Pender County Speedway.They had to pull me off the front-stretch wall, so embarrassed I wouldnt even get out of the car, he said. True story and it was someone elses car. All I could see were little kids hanging on the fence and people staring down at me.But after racing at Dublin, Horrell said it was more eventful than his first race. He said the race was the only time he could remember thinking about what was happening rather than just reacting to it. He drove his 1938 V8 Chevrolet none too shabbily, either. He qualified fifth and finished fourth.

In V8 championship points, Brunswick County drivers are in the top five. V8, top-five finishers: Cameron Norris III, Jeremy Cumbee, Dean Cumbee, William Horrell, Bobby Williamson. V8 points standings: Cameron Norris, 100; Jeremy Cumbee, 92; Bobby Williamson, 62; Jay Royal, 60; Dean Cumbee, 58.Six-cylinder, top-five finishers: Joey Babson, Wade Skipper, Sherman Garris, Louis Hill, Gary Abrams. V6 points standings: Joey Babson, 94; Sherman Garris, 92; Wade Skipper, 52; Bill Tripp, 50; Blaise Bryant, 42.

updated by @patsy-thompkins-keisler: 12/05/16 04:07:53PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Good fer you, William... getting back in the saddle!

http://stockcar.racersreunion.com/group/williamhorrellfanclub

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
William Horrell
@william-horrell
11 years ago
175 posts
Thanks Dave, it has been a blast!!! Great racing, super bunch of people. Come on out sometime you would love it.
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

What a great write up. Good going Patsy.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Patsy Thompkins ~ Keisler
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts

Thank you, Tim. The longer I am around these guys, the more I am inspired. They are truly wonderful to me, AND for me!

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
11 years ago
907 posts

Dave, William was AWESOME......with no practice in the car.......he reels off a 4th place!!