TRIVIA QUESTION

J.C. HAYES
@jc-hayes
14 years ago
37 posts
WHAT MAKE OF CAR WAS THE FIRST TO HAVE THE SPOILER IN THE 60'S ? ALSO TELL ME WHAT YEAR AND HOW WAS THE DRIVER OF THE CAR
updated by @jc-hayes: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
Possibly a Smokey Yunick car??
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
14 years ago
3,119 posts
Sam McQuagg at Daytona in the 66 Dodge Charger

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

J.C. HAYES
@jc-hayes
14 years ago
37 posts
NOPE THATS NOT IT Pete Banchoff said:
Possibly a Smokey Yunick car??
J.C. HAYES
@jc-hayes
14 years ago
37 posts
WE HAVE A WINNER THE LEGEND HIMSELF Tim Leeming said:
Sam McQuagg at Daytona in the 66 Dodge Charger
Randy Myers2
@randy-myers2
14 years ago
219 posts
Actually both are correct. Smokey had a lip on the rear of the roof of the #13 Chevelle at Daytona in "66" and while it may have not been recognized as a "spoiler" it was enough to add to get the attentionof NASCAR inspectors.
Mike Sykes2
@mike-sykes2
14 years ago
18 posts
Randy, Tim & Pete are correct in fact they were about to take the Chevelle apart looking for the illegal parts when Smokey explained to Norris and John what the lip was all about. They were sure that the lip was to obvious and that he was hiding the true unapproved parts elsewhere and this was to draw the attention away from other areas of the car. It worked very well.
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts

Randy and Mike, this is the car I was thinking of, just not sure if it was 1966 or 1967. There was a lip on the roof on his 1966 entry?Pete
terlank
@terlank
14 years ago
7 posts
http://www.petroleummuseum.org/Gallery/Chaparral2.html Maybe Sam and Smokey were watching this car. Credited with being the first racecar with a spoiler. It was unbeatable on the roadcourses. Jim Hall first raced it in 1961. Spoiler added in 1964. This is not a stockcar but it might have showed the way for the spoiler.
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
There is a story told about this, as the car was setting in the shop one night late they were drinking coffee and set one cup on the trunk lid while a wall fan was running and the steam was swirling on the trunk in a circular motion. Smokey took a piece of cardboard and laid it there on the trunk to see what happened and the rest is history. A real piece of scientific knowledge was uncovered by Smokey that night. But dont tell Robin Pemberton that or he will outlaw coffee in the shops while fans are running. Now write this down because unless you read the book you wont know -----------------------------------memories