worth McMillion 1965 poniac 83

ray lamm
@ray-lamm
11 years ago
214 posts

I was going thur Amelia,va. Friday and stop at the napa auto parts to see johnMcMILLION the son of worth asking him how dad doing.i was joking with him do you have any the grand national .yes we got three of them.one is out back in the wood.and the other two at worth place the 1962 and 64 Pontiac.so we go to the wood to see it.this car run it last race at Hillsboro and finish 5th.now that is history.

updated by @ray-lamm: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Those are some great pictures, Ray, and certainly bring back a lot of memories. No plans to restore that one, I guess? Shame. Oh, and by the way, 83 is MY number!!!! lol

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Patsy Thompkins ~ Keisler
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts

Wow!! That is just awesome...Ray!! I definitely have to share this! I would love to find...one of my Daddy's old cars...even a lug nut from one....

Jack Walker
@jack-walker
11 years ago
162 posts

Very, very cool !!!

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Thanks so much for posting these photos, Ray. My buddies Frank & John in Richmond, along with myself, always pulled extra hard for Worth's Pontiacs. John even had a Worth slot car back around 1964. Great stuff.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Love the remnants of the AAA sticker on right rear bumper!

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Many of you know that Worth McMillion's full-time job was as an agent for the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) Board. Don't know how close NASCAR's moonshiners got to Worth.

Six years after Worth made his only 1969 and final career Grand National start - in Roy Tyner's #9 Pontiac at Richmond, he was still making newspaper headlines. The clip below is from a 1975 Fredericksburg (VA) Free Lance Star paper and originally appeared in the Amelia, Virginia paper. Worth's in-laws lived in the Fredericksburg area, so it was news there also.

Worth also made news in the Fredericksburg paper because of the in-law connection when the little remembered 1964 feature film Thunder in Dixie was scheduled for a Fredericksburg theater:

--
Frank Craig
@frank-craig
11 years ago
71 posts

Is that the car that finished 5th at the last race at Occoneechee ?

ray lamm
@ray-lamm
11 years ago
214 posts

frank that is the car car worth ran at Hillsboro.be in the wood for 45 years.he got his two other grand national cars at his place.62 and 64 Pontiac.

Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
11 years ago
488 posts

What a neat experience Ray, thanks for sharing the photos.

Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
11 years ago
560 posts

Ray Lamm,
Thanks for photos of the #83 Worth McMillion 1965 Pontiac race car in the woods.
Did this race car have an "Red,White,Blue" paint job with hand painted "Black" #83??
Do you have any race photos of this #83 Worth McMillion 1965 Pontiac race car??

While looking for #83 Worth McMillion 1965 Pontiac race car photos and information.
I found this website:
http://www.historicgrandnational.com/cars.html

The Historic Grand National is a group of drivers and owners who love the grand old Stock Cars of the past.
We are dedicated to preserving and running them in the spirit of the day.

I also found this website:
http://www.sgpvintageracing.com/
http://www.sgpvintageracing.com/Frm_main.htm

The Southern Ground Pounders Racing Club was created to represent and preserve the heritage of vintage racing in a competitive atmosphere while having fun and fellowship among its members and the fans of race cars from yesterday! The cars represented by this club fueled the interests of racing fans from 1960s to the early 1980s. Limited-Modified Coupe - '38 Chevy This club is comprised of modified coupes and coaches that raced in the 1960s and 1970s and full bodied 1955 to 1972 sportsman type cars that raced up until the early 80s.

Hope someone would fixed up and showed all 3 of #83 Worth McMillion Pontiac race cars.

Thanks for any information or photos posted.

Dennis Garrett
Richmond,Va.USA

G.T. Nolen
@gt-nolen
11 years ago
17 posts

Thanks to Ray Lamm for posting the photos and for remembering Worth. To answer your question concerning the car, it was originally white with red numbers and black shadowing. Bruaer Pontiac was also written in red. I don't know who did that sheet of decals but it's spot on. Later (I think 1967) the car was painted a pale yellow and the numbers were black. There was no sponsor on the quarters after that. The yellow paint may have faded to look white by now. The car really was never ran that much, I think the first race for the car was the fall 1965Rockingham race then it was run right much in '66 and some in '67. Worth also had a second car during this time, number 80, a '64 Pontiac. The car as seen in the photos is afterit was changed over to a'66.This is asit wasat it'slast race which was Richmond, I beleive the Spring of '68. GN cars were allowed to race for 3years.The last race that the car ran in was Hillsboro in the fall of '67 but during the winter an attempt was made to convert the car to a '66 so that it could be run another year. NASCAR officals didn't go forit and they didn't let him run it.

Keith Vrabec
@keith-vrabec
11 years ago
6 posts

Automotive archeology...The Tyner GP looked about the same coming out of the woods in PA in 2009. The details are all preserved to restore Worth's ride, from the original seat and taped steering wheel, the gusseted cage, fuel cell can, and on and on. I hope that I can see this car restored one day next to the Tyner GP.

The cars become more than old iron...the history and the stories, most of which get taller as time goes on, come out as people see and recall the car as it raced so long ago. The transformation from hulk of scrap to dream collector is long and hard yet in some ways more easy to complete than a street car restoration. I hope John keeps us updated on the progress.

Having been silent so long, when you do fire it up, you'll notice the NOISE hasn't changed!!!

Hope you blow out the windows of the garage in short time!!

KV