The new Danica? Ex-IndyCar driver joining Nationwide Series

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
10 years ago
3,259 posts

Uh Oh guys you got another gal to contend with coming into Nascar.. Yup she has won her share of lower tier races and now has her sites on Nascar. Milka Duno is Hispanic too

. In making her transition to stock-car racing and her ultimate entry into NASCAR, Duno has been competing in the ARCA Racing Series for the past three seasons. In 2011 and 2012, she drove partial schedules, and in 2013 drove her first full ARCA season. She finished the season seventh in the driver standings and became the second highest finishing female driver in ARCA's 62-year history. Duno is also the first Hispanic female driver to compete in ARCA.

So what you say guys,will she or will she not that is the question m...

updated by @johnny-mallonee: 12/05/16 04:04:08PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Yehawwwwwww!!! So there is now hope for another Milka vs. Danica cat fight, eh? That'll be better than most of what we've seen at the tracks this season.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

Oh she will.

Wreck you mean. Right?

And I just love how NASCAR wants to preach its diversity program by assigning labels to folks. They've tagged Kyle Larson as Japanese-American. And they started with Juan Pablo Montoya as "Hispanic" before finally relenting and saying he is from Columbia. Now they've already tagged the rolling chicane Duno as "Hispanic" even though she is from Venezuela.

I guess the beach suits figure if you're from south of Brownsville, you're Hispanic regardless of the country or continent.

Meanwhile, the promising Johanna Long sits at home on the couch.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Wonder why the suits haven't recruited another Lumbee Indian like Roy Tyner or a Seminole from their own backyard? Seems if we're gonna be diverse there should be at least one native American.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

And where are the Mexican Cup drivers? Heck, there hasn't been a top Cup/GN finish by a Mexican driver since Pedro Rodriquez wheeled the #25 Star City Body Shop Special normally driven by Jabe Thomas to a 13th place finish in the 1971 Daytona 500 won by Richard Petty.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

And I haven't seen any Cajun drivers in the Daytona 500. We need a Tabasco car. We've already had the pretender Texas Pete cars. Maybe a Luzianne Iced Tea or Coffee car?

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

Ixnay on the Bascotay idea. Last time they were in NASCAR we ended up with a Bodine and a Waltrip as our fake Cajuns.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Alex FL Racing Fan
@alex-fl-racing-fan
10 years ago
221 posts

Anyone else thinking of Nur Ali: "Don't bring him back EVER again." Kid got his license pulled he was so bad, and Milka had her IndyCar license pulled. See where this is going? Yet thanks to Venezuela $$$ she has one of the best non-Cup rides in the entire series.

Alex FL Racing Fan
@alex-fl-racing-fan
10 years ago
221 posts

That's the annoying part of things. We have Johanna sitting on her couch. Kenzie Ruston is doing OK, but Johanna seemed to be the real deal, even running second in an NNS race before flattening a tire; of course, ESPN always has done their best to ignore her though.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Shows how lousy my memory is.

--
Jay Coker
@jay-coker
10 years ago
177 posts

Skip Manning, 1976-79.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Thanks, Jay. Didn't realize Skip was Cajun. My main recollection of Skip was after Billy Hagan dumped Skip in 1978, Terry Labonte got in the car and drove to an incredible 4th place finish in the Southern 500 at Darlington on Labor Day in his first career Cup start.

--
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
10 years ago
3,259 posts

Ok if you are talking about looks -- Johanna Long has that, if you are talking about class she has that too.. if its ability you looking for she has an abundance of that.

If I was to build a car for Nextel and was going to hire a Competent driver she would be high in the line up for that. I think she would draw a wide array of sponsors ..

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

I'd sure like to see her get a good shot.

--
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

Well, she has "everything" going for her. She could qualify as a diversity driver (although NASCAR hesitates to do that), she has the backing of an entire Latino country, and she has that hot Latino temper (judging from the Danica encounter video). I am assuming she prefers to wear clothes, quite the opposite of Danica. Bring her on and let's see what happens. Obviously, Toto, we aren't in Kansas anymore.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Well, Johnny... I just watched Milka's NASCAR debut at Kansas.... she crashed - all by herself - on lap #2.

I guess my all-time Venezuelan athlete hero will continue to be my all-time all sports hero, Luis "Little Looie" Aparacio , Baseball Hall of Fame shortstop for the 50s-60s Chicago "Go Go Sox" White Sox .

Better luck next time, Milka.

And, whatever happened to Johanna Long?

--
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
10 years ago
3,259 posts

I think she is looking for that RIGHT ride. Second hand stuff is there for her but that wont go to the front. Maybe a good ride will materialize between now and the Snowball Derby.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

I wish a top tier team would give Johanna a shot. The positive PR value for that team and the goodwill created would be incalculable. Hope I didn't wake you up, Johnny!

--