I made it to New Orleans

Eric Cardona
@eric-cardona
10 years ago
196 posts

It's about time!

I've been staying at haunted hotels across the way (Tutwiler Hotel in Birmingham and the Myrtle Plantation in St. Francisville) and I'm finally at the Olivier House in NOLA.

On the way to Birmingham we passed Talladega so that was pretty cool!

updated by @eric-cardona: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Eric Cardona
@eric-cardona
10 years ago
196 posts

I just went old school and bought a fedora.

Eric Cardona
@eric-cardona
10 years ago
196 posts

I bought a fedora. I'm old school.

Andy DeNardi
@andy-denardi
10 years ago
365 posts

Sorry. These days a fedora means you're a hipster. And that's not a good thing. If you were old school, you'd wear a Kangol like Jackie Stewart and LL Cool J.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

The only hat I wear these days besides my dark blue University of Virginia (Go Wahoos!) ball cap with its orange "V" and crossed sabres, is an STP stocking cap given to me one February at Daytona by Ralph Salvino of STP. It adequately warms the bald spot on the back of my head of short gray hair.

The cap is a little faded from being snowed, iced and rained on at Richmond , Rockingham , Atlanta and Bristol during the days of the old schedule that ran those "Spring" races in February and March. Of course, we all know that Atlanta is pulling a back to the future with a March date once again before the place is padlocked.

--
Jay Coker
@jay-coker
10 years ago
177 posts

Dave,

Can I kindly request to be added to your will? LOL I would LOVE to have some of this one of a kind stuff!

Signed (your new best friend)

Jay

bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
10 years ago
820 posts

lol....I thought there was only Dave and The Legend that would wear these kinds of hats and now there's Jay ...who knew......lol

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

I guess I could name Bill as executor of the racing things, of which actually I (regrettably today) saved very few.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Is that known in racing parlance as "coming out" ?!

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

The real dogfight might be over who one day lays claim to TMC-Chase's Schaefer beer paraphernalia collection!

--
Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
10 years ago
560 posts

The breton cap wasn't just the choice of headwear for The Beatles and hip modernists, here's a cool looking racing driver Jackie Stewart sporting a Breton cap.

http://headstart-hats.blogspot.com/2011/01/jackie-stewart.html

"Jackie Stewart" Navy Blue Corduroy Mariner's Cap by Failsworth
Popularised by racing driver Jackie Stewart, this dark navy cotton corduroy cap is a great partner to a pair of our leather driving gloves.
Classic peaked cap with self coloured trim and quilted lining.
As supplied to Jackie Stewart in the late 1960's Failsworth hats have re-made the cap to the original pattern. 100% Cotton.

http://www.tomdickandharry.co.uk/all-hats-and-caps/navy-blue-corduroy-mariners-cap.html
.DIDN'T SPORTSWRITER CHRIS E. WROTE AN DAYTONA 500 STORY ON JACKIE STEWART LEAVING HIS BLOODY RACE UNIFORM AND HELMET AT HOME.
JACKIE STEWART SAID "ME ALSO LEFT ME BLOODY BALLS AT HOME" AFTER A.J FOYT OFFER TO LET JACKIE TO USED HIS RACE UNIFORM AND HELMET.

Thanks for any information or photos posted.
Dennis Garrett
Richmond,Va.USA

bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
10 years ago
820 posts

Dave, who would want all those empties??? I'm sure every pic I've seen of Chase with one in his hand, it was open....lol

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

Umm...but...well...ehhh. Oh OK. This is true.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

I plan to bequeath it as an endowment to a to-be-built Schaefer Hall Of Fame building. Figure it'll draw a half-dozen folks or so a month. But at least it would be competitive with NHOF numbers. HEEYYY-OHHHH

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

What kind of subsidy are you looking for from a locality in which to locate the suds hall? Gonna build it in the shape of a bottle or can?

--
Sandeep Banerjee
@sandeep-banerjee
10 years ago
360 posts

I bought me a black n white Kangol a few months back. Love it.

Andy DeNardi
@andy-denardi
10 years ago
365 posts

I thought Jackie wore what my father called a pea cap. But that seems to be more of an Irish thing and Stewart is of course, a Scot. The pictures prove me wrong. The pea cap is flatter and looks like a Kangol but is softer tweed.

Sandeep Banerjee
@sandeep-banerjee
10 years ago
360 posts

Yea for sure the one he wore in the 70s was not a kangol but the one he wears nowadays is.