Paging Mr. Fulton

Jay Coker
@jay-coker
9 years ago
177 posts

Was going through my 1983 Grand National Scenes and found this.

updated by @jay-coker: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

I think the old saying goes, "You can run, but you can't hide."

Thanks, Jay. This photo has Bud in it and the one filed with Getty Images doesn't. That makes it much more special to me. 99% of my racing photos and movies were on loan for a NASCAR 50th Anniversary film feature and lost in a fire at Car & Track Productions in 1998.

If you make it as far as the fall 1983 issue of Grand National Scene (I believe it was '83) covering Rockingham, there's a photo of me with Bobby Allison wearing my Wrangler jacket and Dale Inman (I think) that I used to have but lost. We're all exchanging team jackets during silly season. If you ever come across that one I'd sure like to see it again.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Jay Coker
@jay-coker
9 years ago
177 posts

I've got the complete season, but it's not in the Rockingham issue- I just looked. I'll peruse the rest of them and double check just to be sure, and worst case if I find it I will scan it in for you.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

Jay, thank you for looking. It is possible the photo I'm thinking of was taken at the Fall 1981 Rockingham race during silly season when we were shopping for a 1982 ride for Dale. The memory is getting worse and worse. I know it was taken in the Rockingham garage at the fall race and appeared in GN Scene.

It was very kind of you to look at the 1983 Rockingham coverage.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

Jay,

Bits and pieces are coming back to me about the photo I'd love to see again with me, Bobby Allison & maybe Dale Inman in the Rockingham garage at a Fall race swapping sponsor jackets and caps during silly season.

I'm thinking the photo cutline in Grand National Scene read something to the effect....
"Dave Fulton, THEN with Wrangler...."

That would mean the photo might have been published in early 1984... I'm guessing, since I left Wrangler for 7-Eleven in early February, 1984 and went off the Wrangler racing program after December 1983. Could have been a 1983 season recap issue or even a 1984 preview.

These are all guesses. But, if you do ever stumble across it, I'd really like to see it again. Those were some very hard working, but very fun times.

Thanks,

Dave Fulton

--