Roy Tyner pics

keith vrabec
@keith-vrabec
14 years ago
4 posts

Looking for pics and info about Tyner's 69 Grand Prix.

Email slowwrench@ezlinx.net

Thanks

updated by @keith-vrabec: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
old Roys fabulous Pontiac is shown here quite a few tomes if you look

or is the one you looking for

If you cant find what you need shout and maybe it will appear---Glad help you
Frank Hager
@frank-hager
14 years ago
32 posts
Saw the Pontiac yesterday at Darlington. WOW is how I describe it. Beautiful restoration. Had a chat with the entire group about an old Banjo car I own.
keith vrabec
@keith-vrabec
14 years ago
4 posts
Here's before and after...I had it since 1991. In a nutshell, I"m a restorer of Pontiacs especially 69-72 GP. This is the crown jewel of that series of cars.Darlington was the third show I went to with it, the others being Pontiac shows. It's quite well received wherever it goes. It was a pleasure to bring to SC to have a few guys that actually worked on the car during its racing career and fans like RObbie and Frank just see it.Dub Simpson told me a story about Roy doing a war dance on the hood when the car didn't qualify for a race...Got Roy a suspension and fine but it didnt make the car run faster.James Lee, Bill Huggins and Mack Sarvis loved just to look at the car they helped build and maintain.And I just loved seeing all the other cars as well, like the indy cars, sprints (one with a 4 Stromberg 97 aspirated Pontiac 389) and other stockers and the modifieds.I plan to take it out a bit more, and will plan to bring it back "home" to SC next year.KV

Frank Hager said:
Saw the Pontiac yesterday at Darlington. WOW is how I describe it. Beautiful restoration. Had a chat with the entire group about an old Banjo car I own.
keith vrabec
@keith-vrabec
14 years ago
4 posts
Hey TRuett!! Been looking for you and your famiily!! contact me directly at slowwrench@ezlinx.net. br />
I bought the car in 92, and finally got it done this spring. see www.vintagemechanicalworks.com .

I met James Lee, MAck Sarvis and Bill Huggins at Darlington a few weeks ago, they were quite proud to work on the car back in 1969-70 and were thrilled to see it again. They confirmed it as the car of course, as James had done in 1992 when I got it. Dub Simpson walked over to tell a story about hoy your Dad did a war dance on the hood once, a great little anecdote to pass along.

As for me, I am a Pontiac restorer specializing in the 69-72 GP. (I'm 46 I figure you abou tthe same age?)Of course the Tyner car is my crown jewel. The day I bought it in Delaware, I knew I woudl have it restored, now that it is I would like to let you know how well it has been received form the Pontiac world as well as the race car world. Robbie S begged me to just jump in it, and he as well as many from SC thought it was one of the most significant SC cars form that era. I am suprised to a degree on how important your father was to them and yet the rest of the world knows little about him. He certainly was a hero to many.

Aside from your collection and his car, very little remains of Roy's career, which I think is not right. I hope the car now restored will bring him some long deserved recognition.

I look foward to hearing from you.

I'll be in Darlington next year as well.
Keith
Robert Staley
@robert-staley
14 years ago
86 posts
i remember when the news came out about tyner going with a pontiac ; it was big news in that no one was running that make at the time. he had backing from pepsi and was confident that he would be able to contend for wins. unfortunately the combination never lived up to the hype. tyner pretty much ran the way he had run his entire career, nowhere near the front.
Keith Vrabec
@keith-vrabec
12 years ago
6 posts

On th picture of ROy with the car holding the Pepsi can, what triangularpatch is on the right side of the jacket under the round pepsi patch? Where can you get old patches?