All Jacked Up…and Standing Tall On MY Soap Box!!!

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts
My fellow racing history constituents, as I was surfing the glorious net todaydoing some entertaining research about some the great drivers of past eras, I stumbled upon the one thing that can get me fired up.more than any other. That my friends are the careless an uninformed mumblings disguised as journalism that comes from the keyboards of ..well Ill refrain from calling them idiots for now, but I will call them ignorant. I get really sick of these modern era gurus who never witnessed the great racers and racing competition that occurred in the formative years of our sport, butbecause they have an audience and a laptophave the ability to attempt to tarnish our history and drivers records by making claims that my heroes of the past are overrated when compared to the drivers of today.One of these so-called experts, Terry Blount, took shots at Richard Petty in his recent book, saying his is the most overrated record and should have an asterisk beside it. Another, Steve Samples, says Ned Jarretts is an overrated record. Both of these fellows made reference to the fact that these drivers drove a very high number of shot tracks.dirt tracks.and 100 lap races..and that they raced several times a week. What they fail to do, in my opinion, is to attempt to compare how todays drivers would have fared in similar situations. One so-called journalist recently referred to Dale Earnhardt, Jr. as a second generation driver.in a nationally syndicated column.What we are witnessing is the dumbing ( my word) of a generation. We see the results clearly when we take notice of the new NASCAR Hall Of Fame inductions and the obvious failure to include some of the earliest contributors. What will happen to our history in another 10 or 20 years? What can WE do about it?What we can do is to continue to remember, recall, and promote the facts. We can continue to recognize the contributions of our pioneers and attempt to educate this generation of what it was like to race on those short tracksdirt tracksand 100 lappers. I started RacersReunion because I saw many race drivers, who may not have won championships, going unrecognized for their impact on the sport. Today, my friends, the modern era gurus are even attempting to leave out our champions. This is careless, ludicrous, egregious, and completely unacceptable!!!! So, I call upon you, my fellow racing history enthusiasts, to remember, recognize, write, spread the word and..educate! If we dont, well lose our racing heritage to a generation of modern era gurus who are out to destroy our history.My name is Jeff Gilder and I approved this message!

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®

updated by @jeff-gilder: 12/03/16 05:48:44PM
Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
14 years ago
242 posts
Dale Jr a second generation driver.!!!!!!!His Grandaddy Ralph didn't race?Who was it that spun me out at Jacksonville, NC then?These so called ex-perts are full of S***.
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts
Yes they are, Jim! Thank you! Jim Streeter said:
Dale Jr a second generation driver.!!!!!!!
His Grandaddy Ralph didn't race?
Who was it that spun me out at Jacksonville, NC then?
These so called ex-perts are full of S***.

--
John Montera
@john-montera
14 years ago
3 posts
Jeff, I totally agree with you. The older drivers raced several times a week because that's how they put food on their tables. If they didn't win, they didn't eat. I've met a few of the long forgotten drivers and its sad that they don't get the recognition they deserve for their accomplishments.I'm the "unofficial" track historian for the soon to reopen Metrolina Speedway and we will have a small museum dedicated to the people who raced there. I'll be looking to you and RacerReunion Members to help me with that.John MonteraCFO & TreasurerMetrolina Speed and Sport Center
Frank Craig
@frank-craig
14 years ago
71 posts
Reminds me of a question a young man asked me.Did John Lennon play in a group?So that said EDUCATE!Take time and talk to our young people.There are a lot of great young people out there.Another young man said I never seen Richard Petty win any races.My answer was ,I have never seen Babe Ruth hit any homeruns but i knew he was Damm Good!!
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
MR JEFF GILDER Do you really want me to respond to this?? I was really hoping your associate Tim Leeming would step in here and fire away because I want to listen to the drag racers show thats coming on now...!!!!
Thomas K. Craig
@thomas-k-craig
14 years ago
53 posts
This is not one bit of a surprise to me. I will not get into my ranting and raving. As its well known i'm not fond of people printing or telling things they think they know. And all the while they dont know a damn thing. People know better than to try and tell me about stock car racing history. Yeah i'm only 34 years old but one of my biggest hobbies since I was about 12 was to learn about racing history. I also am a historian on college basketball, college footbal, NFL and MLB history . I'm not trying to toot my own horn but yeah when I start talking about a subject I know what i'm talking about because if I didnt I would keep my mouth shut. Sorry I said I wasnt going to rant but couldnt help it. I'm tired of these types of people. All I know is if I ever meet the guy that talked about Richard and Ned like that. He is going to wish he hadnt. Not anything violent but I will probably hurt his feelings. Oh well!
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
Awww the heck with it,Jeff you have struck ma very sensitive nerve here in this little message.To start with lets not use how many races they won because thats not fair to todays wantabe racers,and I will use that very loosely. I welcome any of the racers of today to come on down and lets run a few races in the equipt that they ran in back in the day. First off no power steering and with steam rollers on front and rear on dirt,no follow the leader paved track and oh by the way these tracks were then and today too short tracks. Yup we gonna run five nites,no lets make it six nites a week and on sun afternoon. Now you think of this,the cars back then were kinda drafty from the engine so its kinda hot in the car so be sure and bring you a rag to chew on . Second now these tracks are kinda dusty so you need to get a pair of googles to maybe keep the dirt out of your eyes.Now you say Ralph is not a racer? really!! Seems to me the driver of that number 8 Chevelle was named Earnhardt and he had a boy that was kinda doing a real good job of getting around a track too several nites a week and on sunday.We drove cars todays racers would frown on and maybe a couple of three would be able to muster the effort to run a 100 lap race oh lets say three nites a week and usually on sunday too,oh by the way we worked on our cars between races because there was no pit crew to speak of much less a hauler with tools in them.The back lot at the motel or the lot at the truck stop or if you were lucky a guy let you use the lift in a service station was our shop and motor home to rest in ,what rest i say. Ask Jim Streeter or Eddie McDonald , or Harold Fountain how we fared on this.. No such luxurys were there,Richard Petty was out in the dirt working on their cars readying them for the next race.So next time one of you wantabe racers care to get up on that little box you call a command center ,on a short track car even, let us know and one or maybe a score of us old farts as we sometimes are called Will open tow to where you are so you wont be exhausted when race time comes and take a ricktey old modified and kinda run around the track so you can follow us and maybe just maybe you can get the message. Oh and by the way Ned Jarrett was more the man then than any of these newby will ever dare think of being. Oh by the way Jeff Gilder did it too with the knowledge of old school guiding him and poor ole Tim well Tim did it with sheer guts and determination taking a mopar and putting it where he did up front race after race --- WE know what we did, will you ever??? my message dont need no approval its got guts behind it Johnny Mallonee "77"
Devin
@devin
14 years ago
618 posts
May I say three words? RED DIRT RISING! Nice post Johnny.... Jeff, Jim, Tim and all. johnny mallonee said:
Awww the heck with it,Jeff you have struck ma very sensitive nerve here in this little message.
To start with lets not use how many races they won because thats not fair to todays wantabe racers,and I will use that very loosely. I welcome any of the racers of today to come on down and lets run a few races in the equipt that they ran in back in the day. First off no power steering and with steam rollers on front and rear on dirt,no follow the leader paved track and oh by the way these tracks were then and today too short tracks. Yup we gonna run five nites,no lets make it six nites a week and on sun afternoon. Now you think of this,the cars back then were kinda drafty from the engine so its kinda hot in the car so be sure and bring you a rag to chew on . Second now these tracks are kinda dusty so you need to get a pair of googles to maybe keep the dirt out of your eyes.
Now you say Ralph is not a racer? really!! Seems to me the driver of that number 8 Chevelle was named Earnhardt and he had a boy that was kinda doing a real good job of getting around a track too several nites a week and on sunday.
We drove cars todays racers would frown on and maybe a couple of three would be able to muster the effort to run a 100 lap race oh lets say three nites a week and usually on sunday too,oh by the way we worked on our cars between races because there was no pit crew to speak of much less a hauler with tools in them.The back lot at the motel or the lot at the truck stop or if you were lucky a guy let you use the lift in a service station was our shop and motor home to rest in ,what rest i say. Ask Jim Streeter or Eddie McDonald , or Harold Fountain how we fared on this.. No such luxurys were there,Richard Petty was out in the dirt working on their cars readying them for the next race.
So next time one of you wantabe racers care to get up on that little box you call a command center ,on a short track car even, let us know and one or maybe a score of us old farts as we sometimes are called Will open tow to where you are so you wont be exhausted when race time comes and take a ricktey old modified and kinda run around the track so you can follow us and maybe just maybe you can get the message. Oh and by the way Ned Jarrett was more the man then than any of these newby will ever dare think of being. Oh by the way Jeff Gilder did it too with the knowledge of old school guiding him and poor ole Tim well Tim did it with sheer guts and determination taking a mopar and putting it where he did up front race after race --- WE know what we did, will you ever??? my message dont need no approval its got guts behind it Johnny Mallonee "77"
Devin
@devin
14 years ago
618 posts
Right on Jeff! "Dumbing of a generation." Maybe in April we could have a big roundtable (Track) discussion with all drivers in attendance. I bet all ears would be at attention.
Mike Sykes2
@mike-sykes2
14 years ago
18 posts
Who the hell is Steve Blount or Terry Samples I have never heard of them and evidently they have no funds for resourcing. And they like many of what they call writers of today have never been to the weekly races back when these men did not run for the pay because there were not much if at all. They ran for the sport,bragging rights until the next race or for the pure thrill of it.They risk their life and limb for the afore mentioned and sacrificed their families and in some cases lost it all. To have some half assed whack to try to deminish any of the pioneers of the sport then their credentials should be taken away at any track and banish them from the sport of racing. If nascar had any balls about them they would make this happen the way Big Bill would do and tell them if they were going to write the story then by god get it right. And yes I know I got their names wrong just as they got their stories all wrong.
Brandon Reed
@brandon-reed
14 years ago
30 posts
Ah, Jeff my friend, you just hit upon one of my pet peeves, and one of the things I railed against when we spoke in Dawsonville back in October.The problem is that, in this technical age, anybody with a computer and some web space can be a "racing journalist". They can spout anything that they want with little fear of reprisal and little need for research.Part of the problem is that some people present their "opinions" based as facts with very little, if any, research. The problem is compounded by groups such as the NASCAR PR wing, which works very hard to erase certain parts of history while placing over-emphasis on others.That's one of the reasons I started my website. I got sick of seeing the real journalism and the real stories get buried under blogs run by people who don't understand the history of the sport and don't seem to want to go and do the research and work it takes to tell the real stories. That's why your website is very, very important.People like you and I (and all the folks here, from what I can see) will just have to keep standing on the rooftops, yelling the truth and railing against those who wish to bury or ignore it. This is truly the good fight, Jeff. Keep it up.Brandon ReedGeorgia Racing History.com
Michael W. Smith
@michael-w-smith
14 years ago
109 posts
My name is Michael W. Smith and I love the message! I raise my right arm and pledge to do my best to educate every race fan I come across and continue to educate myself as I get to know these legends of our sport through this awesome web site called RacersReunion.com. These grass roots founders of what they call NASCAR, are some of the greatest people I have every met in my life. They are role models to me and make me feel better about myself just being around them. Like when I was born again all I wanted to do is tell everyone that would listen about Jesus Christ. When you meet people like Rex White and Gene Hobby I feel the same way. I stand proud with all the like minded members of this site who do anything to get the facts out about who the real Hero's of our sport are. As far as the goof balls with the laptops sending false information out there they need to join this site and take some notes! I'm Michael W. Smith and I am a student of the sport of Auto Racing! RacersReunion.com Amen!
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
Brandon, you said it all and it's going to get worse. Hopefully fans will pay more attention to the real story rather than depending on part time "racing" journalists for their information. With the people of RR, it's easy to get the real deal of what actually happened. Just ask.Pete Brandon Reed said:
Ah, Jeff my friend, you just hit upon one of my pet peeves, and one of the things I railed against when we spoke in Dawsonville back in October.

The problem is that, in this technical age, anybody with a computer and some web space can be a "racing journalist". They can spout anything that they want with little fear of reprisal and little need for research.

Part of the problem is that some people present their "opinions" based as facts with very little, if any, research. The problem is compounded by groups such as the NASCAR PR wing, which works very hard to erase certain parts of history while placing over-emphasis on others.

That's one of the reasons I started my website. I got sick of seeing the real journalism and the real stories get buried under blogs run by people who don't understand the history of the sport and don't seem to want to go and do the research and work it takes to tell the real stories. That's why your website is very, very important.

People like you and I (and all the folks here, from what I can see) will just have to keep standing on the rooftops, yelling the truth and railing against those who wish to bury or ignore it. This is truly the good fight, Jeff. Keep it up.

Brandon Reed
Georgia Racing History.com
Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
14 years ago
626 posts
Well i will say that`s the world we live in today What have you done for me lately it`s Sad thank the Lord for R R
Richard Guido
@richard-guido
14 years ago
238 posts
My apologies to everyone here. I put up a response to Jeff's post concerning the validity of Richard Petty's career per Jeff Blount. I posted the wrong informantion and deleted the reply. Here are more accurate numbers.145 for Pettys victories were on short tracks. 72 of these were events of at least 300 laps in length and 57 of them were at least 200 laps. 72 long distance short track wins with 55 superspeedway victories equals 127. Still the top spot for all time wins. So he competed against weak fields or in many cases teams and drivers that did not run full schedules. per Mr. Blount. How is it Richard's problem that others did not run full steam for an extended period.? Speaking of thin fields I wonder what AJ Foyt or other drivers would say about Blount's article. A.J. ran with Petty many times and loved it. Some of the best drivers in the history of motor sports have raced with Richard and ran in Nascar's elite series. This is still happening today.You can dissect Petty's career any number of ways and he always comes up first. It is obvious that Richard Petty is possibly the best short track racer of all time. Things like 7 Daytona wins and 7 titles are icing on the cake. This takes nothing away from any driver and many other greats that have cut their teeth on the bull rings all over the country.Nascar has forgotten it's own past as well with the inaugural Hall of Fame Class. Having both Bill France Sr. and Jr in the first class is a slap in the face to racing purists everywhere. To be sure Red Byron or Nascar's first real superstar Herb Thomas should have gotten in. It seems to be a selfish act for those involved to put both France's in at the same time but this is typical of anything Nascar in recent years.It was only a matter of time before some of the older tracks were dropped with Bruton Smith's buy outs that Nascar could not control but what they do control is the product and it is just not that good. The Cup series is over regulated and the Nationwide series is now only a play ground for the big boys to suck up all the bank. The old Sportsman Division used to stand on it's own as a series with some of the best short track drivers in the country hammering away on a weekly basis. Not now.The main stream media is not clueless but are instructed to act that way in order to hype it up but with no real substance it falls down. Early in 2009 the media spoke of Kyle Bush winning 200 races in an indirect reference to Petty's 200 mark but everybody knows what a joke that is. The Hype is not being met with results and excitment. The races are stale. Daytona is nothing like it used to be, heck they cant finish a plate race with out cars tumbling down the track. As much as Nascar and the media tries to kick it up the more stale it gets.Once there was a time ......
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts
Blount said...Petty had more chances to win than the other...part of his criteria. He sited a week in 1962 when Petty won 3 races....well Joe weatherly won the Championship in 62...what does that tell you about the competition then? The modern era will soon be considered the beginning of "important" records. It is up to us to make sure the pre-modern era accomplishments are kept in tact. Richard Guido said:
My apologies to everyone here. I put up a response to Jeff's post concerning the validity of Richard Petty's career per Jeff Blount. I posted the wrong informantion and deleted the reply. Here are more accurate numbers.

145 for Pettys victories were on short tracks. 72 of these were events of at least 300 laps in length and 57 of them were at least 200 laps. 72 long distance short track wins with 55 superspeedway victories equals 127. Still the top spot for all time wins. So he competed against weak fields or in many cases teams and drivers that did not run full schedules. per Mr. Blount. How is it Richard's problem that others did not run full steam for an extended period.? Speaking of thin fields I wonder what AJ Foyt or other drivers would say about Blount's article. A.J. ran with Petty many times and loved it. Some of the best drivers in the history of motor sports have raced with Richard and ran in Nascar's elite series. This is still happening today.

You can dissect Petty's career any number of ways and he always comes up first. It is obvious that Richard Petty is possibly the best short track racer of all time. Things like 7 Daytona wins and 7 titles are icing on the cake. This takes nothing away from any driver and many other greats that have cut their teeth on the bull rings all over the country.

Nascar has forgotten it's own past as well with the inaugural Hall of Fame Class. Having both Bill France Sr. and Jr in the first class is a slap in the face to racing purists everywhere. To be sure Red Byron or Nascar's first real superstar Herb Thomas should have gotten in. It seems to be a selfish act for those involved to put both France's in at the same time but this is typical of anything Nascar in recent years.

It was only a matter of time before some of the older tracks were dropped with Bruton Smith's buy outs that Nascar could not control but what they do control is the product and it is just not that good. The Cup series is over regulated and the Nationwide series is now only a play ground for the big boys to suck up all the bank. The old Sportsman Division used to stand on it's own as a series with some of the best short track drivers in the country hammering away on a weekly basis. Not now.

The main stream media is not clueless but are instructed to act that way in order to hype it up but with no real substance it falls down. Early in 2009 the media spoke of Kyle Bush winning 200 races in an indirect reference to Petty's 200 mark but everybody knows what a joke that is. The Hype is not being met with results and excitment. The races are stale. Daytona is nothing like it used to be, heck they cant finish a plate race with out cars tumbling down the track. As much as Nascar and the media tries to kick it up the more stale it gets.

Once there was a time ......

--
Jamie Jay Starks
@jamie-jay-starks
14 years ago
7 posts
Like I've stated before... it'll be interesting to see how many of these "new" Nascar fans show up at the HOF, blow right past the racing pioneers and legends exhibits to go straight to the concessions, buy a smoothie, then search to see how much Dale Jr. & Kasey Kahne stuff is on display?
Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
14 years ago
488 posts
You've all made good points. Being I'm from Michigan I can only go by what most of you from the south tell me about the way it was but, if you get ONE guy or gal spreading false press about "The way it was" you can not only lose a generation but a nation of would be history fans and turn them into "idiots". Thank goodness for sites like Racers Reunion and books like "Ghost tracks of the Carolinas" and "Driving with the Devil" and many more people, books, sites, that speak the truth or are at least get an "A" for accuracy.Since we've formed Cape Fear-CARS we have met so many of the younger generation that really appreciate what we are doing and what we bring to the track. The fans love the cars, young and old. I was so satisfied one night when I spoke with an older gentleman that brought his grandson just to watch our classic auto racing show. Those are the things that make all worth while.