Not Racing Related, but most of us remember

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
13 years ago
1,783 posts

Where we were when we heard the news...November 22, 1963...

John Fitzgerald Kennedy, the 35th president of the United States , is assassinated while traveling through Dallas , Texas , in an open-top convertible.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®

updated by @jeff-gilder: 03/28/17 04:58:23PM
William Horrell
@william-horrell
13 years ago
175 posts

Came home from elementary school and heard it...I was in the third grade...Could not really comprehend the true

fallout from this turn of events but I knew it was terrible...

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
13 years ago
3,119 posts

I was sitting in the Library at Eau Claire High School reading a magazine waiting for the assembly surprise birthday party for our principal. There were so many Kennedy jokes going around then that when I was told of it I assumed it was a joke. Didn't take long to find out it was NO joke. What an impact that made in America.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
13 years ago
242 posts

I was driving back from Durham NC to Goldsboro NC.

I was scheduled to Coach an All Star Boys Club team.

The game was canceled .

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

Was in the 10th grade World History Class of Mrs. Kraft at Thomas Jefferson High School in Richmond, VA. We had a PA system that never came on except at the beginning of school in the morning and suddenly it came on with a radio broadcast. Early that evening, I purchased my own portable Philco tv for my room with money I had saved on a paper route and working at an ice cream parlour. After the purchase that Friday night (it was a Friday) I rolled bandages with a church group for the Red Cross to send to our soldiers in Viet Nam. I was at my friend Bruce's house across the street on Sunday afternoon watching the live telecast of the jail transfer of Lee Harvey Oswald when Jack Ruby shot him. I later watched the 1969 moon landing that JFK had orchestrated on that same little b&w tv. I used that old Philco portable tv I bought on the evening of JFK's death until it finally expired in the mid 80s, after many moves, while living in of all places.... Dallas, Texas.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
13 years ago
3,259 posts

in my senior year at school trying my best to pass a trig test--the announcement came over the p/a needless to say no more tests for a few days

Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
13 years ago
626 posts

Was in elementary school at the time every thing was normal then we were told and it went to a bad day

Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
13 years ago
488 posts

I was 2 years old when the news came in and my Mom was crying but the schools let out early and I was happy my brother came home to play and that's ALL I remember of that day.

Wayne Wilson
@wayne-wilson
13 years ago
39 posts

Was driving on my school bus route when it happened. Made an early load of grammer school kids then went back to school for second load of high schooland Principal told me about the shooting. We went into school gym and ended up watching TV for over an hour until parents started calling school about their kids being late getting home. Very quieton the busthat afternoon.