another bruton blunder

Robert Staley
@robert-staley
12 years ago
86 posts

what's the deal with stuff going wrong at bruton smith speedways ? in the past we've had the toilets fail, a walking bridge fall, track surface problems, track access problems, and others. now there's a problem with the lights. sometimes i feel like i'm gonna be watching a race at one of his tracks and the grandstands are gonna cave in.

updated by @robert-staley: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Slick
@slick
12 years ago
36 posts

I have been at many a track when lights have failed...sometimes all of them. It happens in all sports.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Have to go with Slick on this one. It happens. Initially, when the MUSCO lights were installed at the various tracks, they had only the "outfield" light towers and pit road lights. They didn't have the infield lights that were later installed for better perception and reduction of a strobe effect. They could easily have raced without them.

When I worked at Richmond, we laughed like crazy the year they had the big sewage backup at Charlotte and raw sewage was pouring across the backstretch causing a red flag. We quit laughing when at the very next Richmond race an employee of the Henrico County, Va. Utilities Department failed to open a valve to a main sewer trunk line used only on Richmond race weekends. We had bubbling goo coming up in the infield drains until the County properly set their valve. BUT... try telling an infield full of NASCAR racers that it wasn't a track problem!

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"