"Miss Firebird" Float - Is it Winkie or Linda??

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

I have looked forever to find a photo of the old "Miss Firebird" float that Pure Oil Company used in NASCAR Grand National pre-race parades to advertise its Pure Firebird Racing Gasoline. The original "Miss Firebird" was Linda Vaughn who left to become "Miss Hurst" and was replaced by Winkie Louise.

Finally in the digital photo archives of the library at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte I found an undated postcard showing "Miss Firebird" majestically astride the giant Firebird float parading before a packed grandstand of admiring and catcalling NASCAR fans!

This is the float that author Tom Wolfe memorialized describing the pre-race festivities at North Wilkesboro, NC in 1964 for the Esquire Magazine series he wrote on Junior Johnson - "Junior Johnson is the Last American Hero - Yes!"

Starting time !

Linda Vaughn, with the big blonde hair and blossomy breasts, puts down her Coca-Cola and the potato chips and slips off her red stretch pants and her white blouse and walks out of the officials' booth in her Rake-a-cheek red showgirl's costume with her long honeydew legs in net stockings and climbs up on the red Firebird float.

The Life Symbol of stock-car racing! Yes! Linda, every luscious morsel of Linda, is a good old girl from Atlanta who was made Miss Atlanta International Raceway one year and was paraded around the track on a float and she liked it so much and all the good old boys liked it so much, Linda's flowing hair and blossomy breasts and honeydew legs, that she became the permanent glamour symbol, of stock-car racing, and never mind this other modeling she was doing...this, she liked it.

Right before practically every race on the Grand National circuit Linda Vaughn puts down her Coca-Cola and potato chips. Her momma is there, she generally comes around to see Linda go around the track on the float, it's such a nice spectacle seeing Linda looking so lovely, and the applause and all. "Linda, I'm thirstin', would you bring me a Coca-Cola?"

"A lot of them think I'm Freddie Lorenzen's girl friend, but I'm not any of 'em's girl friend, I'm real good friends with 'em all, even Wendell," he being Wendell Scott, the only Negro in big-league stock-car racing.

Linda gets up on the Firebird float.

This is an extraordinary object, made of wood, about twenty feet tall, in the shape of a huge bird, an eagle or something, blazing red, and Linda, with her red showgirl's suit on, gets up on the seat, which is up between the wings, like a saddle, high enough so her long honeydew legs stretch down, and a new car pulls her -- Miss Firebird! -- slowly once around the track just before the race.

It is more of a ceremony by now than the national anthem. Miss Firebird sails slowly in front of the stands and the good old boys let out some real curdle Rebel yells, "Yaaaaaaaaaaaaghhhhoooooo! Let me at that car!" "Honey, you sure do start my motor, I swear to God!" "Great God and Poonadingdong, I mean!"

The library archive identifies this "Miss Firebird" as Winkie Louise, but I believe they are mistaken and that this is actually Linda Vaughn. Weigh in with your opinion.

Must of been a cool day, because "Miss Firebird" didn't shed her long pants for this pre-race parade.

I am going to list the UNC-Charlotte Library id of the photo below it and then below that post two photos of Winkie as "Miss Firebird." You decide who is really on the float.

Title Miss Firebird
Subject Advertising postcards
Pure Oil Company--Advertising
Industrial publicity
Stock car racing--Southern States--History
Miss Firebird (Fictitious character)
Subject Personal Louise, Edwina
Description Publicity photo of Edwina (Winkie) Louise, "Miss Firebird." The Pure Oil Co. selected "Winkie" Louise to represent them at the stock car racing events in the late Sixties and early Seventies. "Wink" represented Pure Oil at an average of 28 major races each season, beginning with the Daytona 500. Part of her duties included greeting the race winner in Victory Lane and doing other public relations activities on behalf of Pure Oil at the various stock car raceways. It is unclear which race track this shot was taken. Miss Firebird is standing on a large red and white bird in front of packed seating area at a racetrack, but it is apparent from the fans that they are not watching her, but perhaps the race itself, perhaps. [Curteichcolor 4DK-599]
Subject - Location Southern States
Publisher Charlotte, N.C.: J. Murrey Atkins Library University of North Carolina at Charlotte

Photos of Winkie Louise as "Miss Firebird" below :

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Thanks for the backup. Look back at my original post where I've now included the Tom Wolfe narrative in yellow.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

So, do you think that in the "bag searches" conducted at ISC tracks, that these two southern staples are now being confiscated?

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

No, NO, No.... NOT my VIENNAS!!!

If vienna sausage had been banned at the track back in the day, many of us would have gone hungry.

BTW, I ate a can around 1:00 PM today.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

--
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
12 years ago
835 posts

Dave,

This is a picture my Dad took at Daytona in 1964. At least I think it was '64 because it was with other pictures from that same year. If I have the time right then it is Linda Vaughn. Maybe the 50th year sign will confirm the date to someone who knows the history of Pure Oil.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Thanks, Dennis.

I used to have beautiful 8mm color film of Winkie on the float at the 1966 Peach Blossom 500 at Rockingham until NASCAR's contractor for its 50th Anniversay Video productions lost it in a fire.

That's a really nice photo from your dad.

--
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
12 years ago
835 posts

Based on what I read the Pure Oil Company was founded in 1914. That would make 1964 the 50th anniversary. I also read that it became Union Oil in 1965. On another site I have read where Winkie was Miss Firebird for 4 years and stopped when it became Union Oil. If this is correct then the picture Dad took in '64 is not Linda but Winkie Louise. The story you posted states Winkie worked during the late sixties and early seventies, that is why I figured the picture was of Linda Vaughn. All this just don't add up, the dates have to be wrong in one place or the other. And then there is the picture PKL posted that was from '64 and she says it is Linda. I can't say from personnel experience because in '64 I knew who Fred Lorenzen was and what he drove but was not yet paying attention to girls. LOL

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

Yessiree.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

It was definitely Winkie at Rockingham in 1966 on the Firebird.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Winkie Louise - Miss Firebird

Atlanta International Raceway

Dixie 500 - August 1968

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

This is a sad letter from Wink(ie) sent to The Vintage Racer web site a couple of years back:

Hello.
My name is "Wink" Kramer, but during the late '60's, I worked as Miss Firebird for Pure Oil Co. before they were bought out by Union Oil of California, and was known as "Winkie Louise". (NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH LINDA VAUGHN. I REPLACED HER.)

I worked an average of 28 major races each year for Pure, beginning at the Daytona 500 in Feb. Those years were so much fun, but more than that, over four years, I became close to a number of the wonderful drivers and some of their families. It was an important time in my life. I treasured the photos that were taken in Victory Lane, and also many, many candid shots given to me by fans and photographers outside of Victory Lane. However, most of the photographs were IN Victory Lane with people like Richard Petty, Cale Yarborough, Lee Roy Yarbrough, Buddy Baker, A.J. Foyt, Bobby Allison, David Pearson, Junior Johnson, always kind...you know, all the Greats.

I was a southern girl, and felt pretty much at home with most of the drivers and their wives. I recall one big race when everyone made a big deal out of Richard Petty's finally buying his wife a new washer and dryer set! Can you imagine that today?!

I knew that someday I would want those photo images for my children. I carefully put them into a large models' portfolio and put them away. As much as I treasured them, I knew that one day my children would want to see them. (My children were always busy with sports when they were in high school, and college, and since I quit the races to marry Jerry Kramer, 11 years pro-football player under Coach Lombardi, our home was already full of trophies and photos...well deserved, too, I might add.)

Now comes the new and bigger NASCAR and cable racing stations. My youngest son, Jordan, (now trying for a spot with the Tennessee Titans) was watching a cable racing station at college and phoned me to say that he had seen me with different drivers in Victory Lane on a cable racing station. He asked to see my photographs. On Thanksgiving break, I got out my portfolio and showed all three of my children my days before I was just "MOM, where are my clean socks?" They all wanted copies of most of the photographs and some of the newspaper clippings. (My long-winded way of getting to my point. Sorry.)

So, I put the portfolio in the trunk of my car where they would be handy when I found a place that would copy them "in-house" since I worried that they might be lost if sent somewhere to be copied. About two weeks later, while we were away for spring break, our house was burglarized. When the burglars found a spare set of keys to my car, they loaded it with everything they could steal and hauled it away with their own car also filled. They went somewhere, dumped what they stole, and got rid of everything that was in the trunk of my car.... including my wonderful pictures. All the electronic things didn't bother me, but I am still heartsick about losing my photographs, and even a charm bracelet which had a charm on it given to me by Richard Petty. I didn't realize it was gone until Jordan said that he saw a video clip on the racing channel and I was wearing that charm bracelet.

I have searched, tried to contact the burglars...three are in prison.. druggies, tried to appeal to them to tell me where they took the things from my car trunk, but can't get any information. I am afraid that after all this time, the photos probably went into a garbage dump somewhere. One of the burglars...a young man I had substitute taught in high school, told me of a shed where I could find them. This was immediately after his sentencing. The police detective went there, but told me that nothing was in the shed, and it was so dusty that they could see that nobody had been there for at least months.

It is hard to give up on this because I know that there are people out there...racing fans (and drivers themselves) from that era whom I know would have photographs if I only knew how to reach them. I am trying especially to contact people who might have copies of Victory Lane during those years...I think 1966 thru 1970. I do not have any idea who might have copies of "the old days" though everybody who lived during that era certainly knows who was winning! I had great copies of photos and treasured them. Now, it feels like there is a huge gap in my life that I need to continue to fill. If I were to die tomorrow, I would say that I have had an extraordinarily wonderful life. I just would enjoy sharing THOSE days and THOSE PEOPLE with the kids.

Could you point me in a direction or give me any advice about where I could write to anyone who might have photos of those years? So far, website archives haven't been helpful. The other night, I was so happy to find the attached photo, which was in one of my cookbooks! I just sat down and bawled until I felt better! Thought I might try again.

I think it is wonderful that the popularity of racing has increased...all the new, young drivers, etc. Glad to see it. But, there was something different, more personal about that group of guys in stock car racing in those days, much like what has happened to pro-football since Jerry played. (He retired from football after the l968 season...they had just won their second Super Bowl.) It seems like a whole new ball game to me, and I feel like you can't really appreciate where you are until you recognize where you have been.

~Wink Kramer

--
Max Plummer
@max-plummer
12 years ago
89 posts

The things you guy's find.Dave would have caught Bin-Laden the first week.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

LOL!! Thanks, Max.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Yes... the postcard is of Linda and 1964.

1966 came into play when I said in the post above that I shot 8mm movie film of Winkie as Miss Firebird at Rockingham's Peach Blossom 500 in 1966.

Thanks, Dennis.

I used to have beautiful 8mm color film of Winkie on the float at the 1966 Peach Blossom 500 at Rockingham until NASCAR's contractor for its 50th Anniversay Video productions lost it in a fire.

That's a really nice photo from your dad.

--
Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
12 years ago
560 posts

Dave,
The color photo of Linda Vaughn in the sexy red beaded jumpsuit is late 1964 or 1965. Most likely 1965!!!

Patty,
The color photo of Linda Vaughn in the sexy red short skirt dress is April 5,1964 Atlanta 500 Atlanta International Raceway.

Dennis,
The color photo of Linda Vaughn in the sexy red short skirt dress is 1964.
1964 Daytona 500 or 1964 Daytona Firecracker 500???
Dennis, Do you have photo date stamped on the photo??

1914-1964 = 50th year = Pure Oil Company!!!

Below is photo of 1964 MILWAUEE BRAVES SCORECARD with "50th year Pure Oil Firebird" - "FIRE UP WITH FIREBIRD" advertisement.

Dennis,
Edwina Louise, aka Wink Louise, aka Winkie Louise e-mailed me, that she was Miss Firebird 1966, Miss Firebird 1967, Miss Firebird 1968, and Miss Firebird 1969 = 4 years as Miss Firebird!!!

Below is (2) photos of 1968 Press Photo Edwina Winkie Louise Miss Firebird.
Back of photo is dated: Dec.1,1968 / MODEL

Back of photo is dated: Dec.1,1968 / Edwina "Winkie"' Louise/ MODEL

Dave,
I read about Edwina Louise, aka Wink Louise, aka Winkie Louise's hard luck story about her missing photos stolen out the trunk of car and felt sorry for her.
I e-mailed her about 20 photos that I scan & copied for her, that was listed in 1966-1970 old racing magazines/ race books as Edwina Louise, aka Wink Louise, aka Winkie Louise as Miss Firebird or Miss Pure Firebird Racing Gasoline / Pure Oil Company.
I sent her Richard Petty, David Pearson, A.J. Foyt,and Cale Yarborough addresses from which I had received their real autograph photos from!!!
I made a deal with Edwina Louise, aka Wink Louise, aka Winkie Louise that I would send her all the above for an Autograph Photo of her!!!
I didn't get Edwina Louise, aka Wink Louise, aka Winkie Louise's Autograph Photo of her!!!
Not even an "THANK YOU" !!!

Thank you very any information given.
Sincerely yours,
Dennis Garrett
Richmond,Va. USA

Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
12 years ago
560 posts

I forgot this Photo:

Thank you very any information given.
Sincerely yours,
Dennis Garrett
Richmond,Va. USA

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Interesting stuff, Dennis. And a nice turn by you. Maybe you'll hear back yet.

--
Duane Goins
@duane-goins
10 years ago
13 posts

you have it a bit twisted as to who replace whom ...

Wink married the NFL Great Jerry Kramer of the Green Bay Packers......

& has a problem with all her old photo s....read this link if you have time . thanks

http://www.thevintageracer.com/miss_firebird.htm

Duane Goins
@duane-goins
10 years ago
13 posts

In her letter, those are not really the the ones she asked for ....

BUTT..maybe she is a bit busy....wonder IF she got them ?

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Wink replaced Linda Vaughn. Where's the confusion?

--
Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
9 years ago
560 posts

THE ABOVE Publicity color photo IS OF Linda Vaughn, THE 1ST WELL KNOWN "Miss Firebird." The Pure Oil Co. 1964-1965 = 2 YEARS. (QUIT TO BECOME "MISS HURST SHIFTER").
The color photo of Linda Vaughn in the sexy red beaded jumpsuit is late 1964 or 1965. Most likely 1965!!! 1964-1965 = 2 YEARS. (QUIT TO BECOME "MISS HURST SHIFTER").

THE ABOVE Publicity color photo ISN'T of Edwina (Winkie) Louise, THE 2ND WELL KNOWN "Miss Firebird." The Pure Oil Co. 1966-1969 = 4 YEARS.

NOTE: FROM 1964 - 1969 THERE WAS AT LEAST (6) OTHER LESSER KNOWN "Miss Firebird" BATHING SUIT WOMEN WOULD HELP OUT AND STAND-UP RIDE THE "Miss Firebird." The Pure Oil Co. PRE-RACE PARADE FLOAT.

Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
7 years ago
560 posts
Chase,
What happened to your photo?
@tmc-chase • 05/21/12 09:08:42PM • 3,703 posts:

Yessiree.

--

Dennis Garrett
Richmond, Va.
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

@dennis-garrett Looks like I hotlinked an image from another site - an image that is no longer hosted at that location. Not exactly sure what I had embedded back then. I've certainly learned since 2012 to save images first, add them to my posts, and reference them to the site. That way if the pic is later removed from the source site, I still have the pic in my posts/comments.

--