Test shows Allmendinger took stimulant

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

Suspended NASCAR driver AJ Allmendinger said Wednesday that he tested positive for a stimulant and was collecting his medicines and supplements in an attempt to figure out what got him in trouble.

A statement issued by Allmendinger's business manager did not identify the stimulant and said the driver does not know what caused him to fail the random test conducted June 29. He was suspended Saturday and NASCAR has not revealed the substance, either.

''AJ tested positive for a stimulant. He has no idea why the first test was positive, and he has never knowingly taken any prohibited substance,'' said Tara Ragan, vice president of Allmendinger's Walldinger Racing Inc. ''AJ is collecting his medicines and supplements for testing to determine whether an over-the-counter product caused his positive test.''

Allmendinger is the second Sprint Cup Series driver to be suspended under the NASCAR drug policy implemented in 2009. The 30-year-old Allmendinger has requested his ''B'' urine sample be tested, and it's not clear when that will occur.

Allmendinger said Tuesday that he would never knowingly take a prohibited substance.

''Obviously I would never do anything to jeopardize my opportunity here at Penske Racing or to my fellow drivers. I am very conscious about my training and health and would never knowingly take a prohibited drug,'' he said.

Now can a double dose of caffene do this, or is it a combination of related items,or is this a make up the test as we go--- you tell me

HOT off the AP:

updated by @johnny-mallonee: 12/05/16 04:04:08PM
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

Hey Ma I said on the bottom HOT OFF THE AP Didnt I??? I did NOT say he was guilty only that they said it was a STIMULANT and that was Iffy. True I cut it short but that was filler in my book.

Tommie  Clinard
@tommie-clinard
12 years ago
209 posts

Johnny,

I done gone and told ya to lay off them stimulants when reportin the news.

You liable to go an say sumpin that ain't entirely all there.

And if'n ya did then nobody else would have sunpin to say bout it.

Just sayin................Thoughts.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

March 20, 2012 12:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time
Fuel in a Bottle Power Shots Power Up with AJ Allmendinger

NASCAR Racer Likes to Recharge in Minutes, Run Stronger For Hours

CHARLOTTE, N.C.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Long known for his high-energy style, Penske Racing NASCAR Sprint Cup driver AJ Allmendinger has been named as Brand Ambassador for a new brand of Energy and Protein power shots, Fuel in a Bottle . In addition to benefiting from the energy and protein boost that Fuel in a Bottle power shots provide, Allmendinger will be part of the brands marketing efforts through advertising and point of purchase placements.

We are excited about Fuel in a Bottle power shots because they offer TWO different types of high-quality fuel people are looking for, at a price they can afford

Everybody knows that no matter what I am doing--driving, training, or even just talking--I bring a little bit of extra energy to it! said Allmendinger, who will be keeping up a regular schedule of media appearances during the 2012 NASCAR season. I know that keeping up my intense workout regimen can be the key to success. So its pretty much a natural thing for me to team up with Fuel in a Bottle, and I am excited to be part of this campaign. Between the races, training, and all the travel that make up the NASCAR season, I am glad to have Fuel in a Bottle power shots in my back pocket to count on this year.

AJs high-energy is something people can really identify with and he will be a great asset for our Fuel in a Bottle power shots, said BYB Brands President Norm George.

Fuel in a Bottle power shots are the only ready-to-drink shots that offer two types of fuel consumers need for their day Energy and Protein. Fuel in a Bottle Energy shot provides a quick energy boost in convenient 2-ounce liquid form. It is packed with B Vitamins, is sugar free and has zero calories. Fuel in a Bottle Protein shot is loaded with 25g of high quality protein and essential amino acids that your body needs in a 2.5 ounce power shot eliminating the hassle of messy protein powders or shakes. Both varieties of Fuel in a Bottle allow consumers to Recharge in minutes. Run stronger for hours.

We are excited about Fuel in a Bottle power shots because they offer TWO different types of high-quality fuel people are looking for, at a price they can afford, says George.

Fuel in a Bottle Energy and Fuel in a Bottle Protein are now available throughout the Southeastern United States. They can be purchased in convenience retail stores, health-food stores, and other specialty retail outlets. Fuel in a Bottle power shots are the latest products rolled out by BYB Brands. The companys other beverages include Tum-E Yummies Fruit Flavored Drinks, Country Breeze Tea and Bean & Body Coffee.

ABOUT BYB BRANDS, INC.

Headquartered in Charlotte, NC, BYB Brands, Inc. is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Coca-Cola Bottling Co. Consolidated . (Dave note - Coke Consolidated, headquartered in Charlotte, is Atlanta-based Coke's largest conglomeration of bottlers - the same folks who bring you the Coke 600). BYB Brands, Inc. is a full-service brand creation company, specializing in new and alternative beverages as well as other consumable products. For information visit www.bybbrands.com .

For more information about AJ Allmendinger, visit www.ajallmendinger.com , follow him on Facebook www.facebook.com/ajallmendinger , and on Twitter www.twitter.com/ajdinger

For more information about Fuel in a Bottle go to www.fuelinabottle.com , or on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/fuelinabottlepowershots .

About Walldinger Racing, Inc.: Walldinger Racing was formed in 2006 to support AJ Allmendingers motorsports career by developing commercial opportunities and partnership programs.

Contacts

BYB Brands, Inc.
Kari Wooley, 704-319-0390
kari.wooley@bybbrands.com
www.bybbrands.com
or
Walldinger Racing Media Contact
Sunday Group Management
Matt Cleary, 317-908-2975
media@sundaymanagement.com

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

So is Coke gonna get him off or is he the new billBoard boy

Carol Bell
@carol-bell
12 years ago
36 posts

(oh, Lord.....I'm going away now. bad memories, bad memories.................)

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
12 years ago
1,783 posts

LOL!

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Just a new FYI piece from today in USA TODAY:

Drug expert: A.J. Allmendinger case could be cautionary tale
5:18 PM, Jul 12, 2012 |
By Nate Ryan, USA TODAY

A former World Anti-Doping Agency executive says A.J. Allmendinger's failed drug test could be a cautionary tale about using dietary supplements.

Allmendinger, who has been on temporary suspension by NASCAR since Saturday, said he tested positive for a stimulant but hasn't knowingly taken any prohibited substance. In a Wednesday statement, the Penske Racing driver said he was collecting medicines and supplements to determine whether an over-the-counter product caused his positive test.

Gary Wadler, associate professor of medicine at the Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine and the past chairman of WADA's Prohibited List and Methods subcommittee, has warned athletes against taking dietary supplements for more than a decade.

"Dietary supplements should probably not be taken unless under medical supervision because they can be contaminated with stimulants," Wadler told USA TODAY Sports. "They offer little to no advantage and might end up ruining a career by an athlete testing positive. (The manufacturers) don't have to provide information on the products' purity. You don't know what you're taking."

The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency's website cautions about the risk of supplements because they aren't evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration for effectiveness or safety from tainted products. "The fact is that strict regulation of dietary supplements is not done prior to sale. Under current laws, individual dietary supplement manufacturers, and not an independent agency, are responsible for making sure their own products are safe before they can be sold," the website says.

Wadler said most stimulants are related to the amphetamine category of drugs. WADA splits them into two categories: specified or nonspecified, with heavier sanctions (up to a four-year ban) for the latter.

In the 2012 Sprint Cup rulebook, NASCAR's substance abuse policy defines stimulants as including amphetamine, methamphetamine, Ecstasy (MDMA), Eve (MDEA), MDA, PMA, Phentermine and other amphetamine derivatives and related compounds.

The NASCAR rulebook also notes that "dietary supplements may contain (either purposefully or through contamination) a prohibited substance. Any product sold with a warning advising non-use if the purchaser is subject to a drug-testing program should be avoided even though such product may be available without a prescription."

A self-described fitness nut, Allmendinger began endorsing an "energy and power shot" dietary supplement this year. In a promotional video on YouTube, he ingests the product before and after his win in the Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona International Speedway.

Allmendinger is awaiting scheduling of an evaluation of the "B" sample from his June 29 test at Kentucky Speedway. If the second test is negative, he would be reinstated immediately. A positive "B" test would make his suspension indefinite, and he would need to complete a recovery program to be considered for a return to NASCAR.

Copyright 2012 USA TODAY

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts
Regardless of whether Fuel is to blame for the failed A test, let me ask this? Was this a good marketing spend by them with AJ? I follow racing pretty closely and I haven't heard him pitch this product at all this year. I'm being serious. Admittedly I don't follow AJ as closely since leaving RPM. But I think I would have noticed commercials, forced ad drops during interviews or segments on Speed TV shows, golf shirt or uniform logos, tweets, etc. Drug testing aside, I'd never heard of the product until a day ago.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Carol Bell
@carol-bell
12 years ago
36 posts

No, no. Don't panic dear lady. I was reading this group of posts earlier and it thru me back in time to being raked over the coals by Nextel. (Hee, hee. That was actually fun!)