Tell Us What You Really Think About NASCAR & Indy, AJ (Foyt)!

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

From a recent Indianapolis Star article, the never shy AJ Foyt offered a quick, concise thought on NASCAR at Indy and NASCAR in general:

People like to see racing, as long as its good racing, and the Brickyard has never been very good, said A.J. Foyt, the first four-time winner of the Indianapolis 500 who also qualified for the inaugural Brickyard 400 in 1994.

All in all, NASCAR doesnt have good racing any more. You watch the last 10 laps. Thats about it.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 12/05/16 04:04:08PM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

Foyt calls it like it is. No question.

BOTH series - NASCAR and Indy - could use an injection of a few more throwdowns like Foyt put on Luyendyk. To me, that would be preferred over car owners kneeling on a purple cushion to inhale tire marbles into their gumline. ha

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Yep, Chase... I'll take the old AJ any day over the purple cushions:

Side note: AJ came to us early in 1981 at Wrangler and asked if we could make a red & white checkered western shirt. From that day on, all of the Foyt crew shirts at Indy and for NASCAR were shipped out of my Wrangler office in Greensboro. His secretary, Sherry, at his Chevy dealership in Houston coordinated everything with size lists, etc. and was a real sweetheart.

And, in the first 1983 UNO Twin 125 Qualifier for the Daytona 500, Dale Earnhardt in Bud Moore's T-bird set up AJ perfectly on the last lap to slingshot by for the win, pushed by Buddy Baker in the Wood Brothers T-bird. When it was all done, AJ had slipped to 4th after a very aggressive move by Kyle Petty. If you've never seen the video, you'll enjoy seeing KP lean on AJ through turn 4. Kyle's interview answer regarding whether he looked over at AJ is classic. Look how young Kyle and his crew chief, Mike Beam are!

After all was said and done, AJ came over to the Bud Moore hauler and allowed to Dale as to how he had been perfectly set up. Memories.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Carol Bell
@carol-bell
12 years ago
36 posts

I doubt anyone other that A. J. could have said it better! I used to love to watch A. J. and the other USAC drivers compete in NASCAR races.

Good to see you Dave. Missed you!

Carol

Richard Guido
@richard-guido
12 years ago
238 posts
I have looked at several videos of Daytona and Talladega from years ago and the key is that the cars could not stay on the bottom creating a real chess match. That was real racing. What do we call it now ?
Christopher Krul
@christopher-krul
12 years ago
119 posts

So true. Can always count on AJ to say it the way it is