I Nominate Harry Gant to Oversee NASCAR Car Development

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Could we possibly convince NASCAR that they should have listened to Harry Gant when they went about "repurposing" the racing we used to love?

I just a read a five year old Rick Houston piece on NASCAR.com that is just as relevant today as it was when it was written.

http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/features/03/21/hgant.where.is/index.html

Check these Harry quotes from the story and tell me which don't fit today's problems?

Then ... there are the cars, which in Gant's opinion have been tinkered with, cut, raised, moved over, lengthened, shortened and tweaked far too much.

"I'll tell you what my honest opinion is ... and I told [NASCAR president] Mike Helton this," continued Gant, "even when I quit racing with the [Chevrolet] Lumina, it was pretty much just a regular Lumina. With the Oldsmobile, [the manufacturer] would send us sheet metal, and we'd use it.

"Now, they've started letting them do so much to these cars. They let you run a four-door car, but make a two-door out of it. The Ford Fusion ... that's an intermediate car, a little four-door, halfback thing. The Monte Carlo is the only car out there that's a two-door. They let you add a foot to the hood to fit the motor.

"They made a Dodge the ugliest thing I've ever seen in my life. They let 'em put the grille down where the bumper's at. They all look like they've run under a tractor-trailer and smashed the nose down. They've got this big problem ... aero push, aero push. Well ... if they would run 'em the way they was supposed to be, there wouldn't be no aero push. You wouldn't even need no Car of Tomorrow. ... I don't like that at all."

I had to look twice to see if I was reading Harry Gant's words or Bobby Williamson's words. Why can't they listen to some folks who know what they're talking about?

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 12/05/16 04:04:08PM
Jerry Williams2
@jerry-williams2
12 years ago
17 posts

I will go a step farther, I nominateHarry to replace Mike Helton. --- P.S. We'll work on B. France's replacement next week.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

There are some people who still got a little common sense here at SCRR (my new name for the site) and most will follow the lead the great REV. STAGGER has bestowed upon Bobby Williamson. Even though he performs reasonably well rockin with a mike within reach he does seem to speed up when two things are near, one is when someone finds a ghost track and he isnt fluent with info about this track and the other is when someone gets in his mirror. Im speaking of his rear view mirror.

Harry Gant was a calculating driver,always there in the end . OLd left hander BW is calculating when he is rocking, He has had it hot a time or two because it went to squeaking (like a piston thats been gaulded ) That was taken care of by some pop corn oil im told. Yes they are alike in many ways----but also o so different in others. They both have the solution to Nascars problem, Dont believe me?go ask either one of them. Dave knows.

Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
12 years ago
589 posts

Why even wait that long?? lol

Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
12 years ago
589 posts

Even though I have nothing to go on but old race footage and interviews...that type of stuff, I like Harry, and I think he would be great for the job.

BTW, what is old Handsome Harry doing these days? Is he still doing roofs, or is he too old? I know he sold his steakhouse back years ago.

-Cody

Carol Bell
@carol-bell
12 years ago
36 posts

Because that would solve the problem, Dave.